• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

People probably thinking I was joking about Cleveland lol, but only partly.

If you live south of a line from Asheville to Richmond, I think you better temper expectations. This has all the makings IMO of a  storm coming across the mid south that pushes a hefty warm wedge in front of it. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Need a met to tell me an RDU, ezf, to NYC track is unlikely or against climo.  Kthnx 

On my phone so can’t post a graphic, but take a look at 500mb. It’s hard for a shortwave to turn the corner so sharply when it’s still moving SEward and positively tilted coming across the MS river. GFS is about the sharpest corner turn you can see. For it to cut west, it will need to track farther west out in the Plains and/or be neutrally tilted sooner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 1

Obviously a track like that from the SLP would yield a transition period from snow to IP/ZR, but it was still a very good 5H setup for a front end crush job prior to any changeover. This was a classic I-81 storm track where deformation axis would ride from RNK to HBG. The western side of the LP on the precip field was a little wonky for such a dynamic system. I would see it more defined than what the GFS had. Regardless, the prospects of some snow are definitely on the table. Favored areas probably west of I-95 with most favorable west of Rt 15. Long way to go. No where near settled and big swings are certainly possible. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Looking at soundings, I would see this more of an IP than a rain situation outside of south of Rt 50 and east of the Bay. GFS scouring the airmass so fast in the lowest confines of the boundary. Also, the wet bulb aspect of the forecast is bizarre. GFS brings the dew point up to the temperature with no drop in the temp within a 3 hr window. Would call complete BS on that as well. That track has yielded IP plenty of times. ULL is also cold as hell with it dropping to 528dm over Wakefield and 525dm over Dover. Color me skeptical of the reach of pure liquid. 850mb jet is screaming, so a transition would be all but probable, but the pure change to rain probably wouldn't be as likely west of the fall line. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic