Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

17 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Anybody who even pretends they know what is going to happen or is even likely to happen if full of it. This is wild, huge swings 

It bugs me that 1980 keeps showing up in analog packages. What happened that year I hope to never have to experience. 2 HECS and 2 MECS storms all hit NC/VA and miss north of DC. But I know no 2 years are the same and my “fear of fringe” is clouding my judgement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It bugs me that 1980 keeps showing up in analog packages. What happened that year I hope to never have to experience. 2 HECS and 2 MECS storms all hit NC/VA and miss north of DC. But I know no 2 years are the same and my “fear of fringe” is clouding my judgement. 

This is unusual.  Are you ok?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Just now, psuhoffman said:

ETA: alsi I am biased towards wanting more amplified because if I miss a storm to the north at least it helps ski resorts and I can go find powered. A storm missing south does me absolutely no good in any way. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

every outcome under the sun possible on the p-type maps. I’ll let someone smarter properly analyze the goods but my rookie read was the GEFS looked more suppressed than previous runs.
c525fe4ac95a20dce092f388285707da.jpg

though of course noting this is still sorta early in the overall window

All we care about right now are the precip maps 

32 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

That is a crazy step towards a MECS up into the sub-forum lat. Still a bit off, but the delay in s/w out west was beginning to allow enough time for the TPV over Quebec to move out and provide spacing for northward movement. A crazy shift in the setup for this run. It opens the door for a lot of possibilities, but we still need more confirmation from the ensembles to see if this COULD be a trend, or a blip on the radar. 

Verbatim, it's a potentially historic storm for NC and Upstate SC. Absolutely insane for them

I abscond.

2 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

CMC destroys South Carolina and Georgia instead of NC before recurving north and out to sea. Nada for us.  

That's a hint of the Feb 9-11, 1973 storm that brought 23" of snow to Sumter SC. Too bad I was only 2 1/2 and don't remember a thing about it. (My Dad was stationed at Shaw AFB at the time). 

GFS looked promising to me, for day 7, and the Euro looks way too slow with the first low which is likely to be much further northwest into the Baffin Island region by day 6 not lingering off Labrador. 

There's almost zero storm potential on the Euro-CMC consensus but just one turn of the dial away from a good outcome on the GFS. Some ensemble members have that turn of the dial. 

Two factors may help. One is that low pressure connecting back from the arctic remnant of the first storm to the Great Lakes could drop an energy center into a good spot by day six. Another is that full moon is on Jan 17th. This brings several good analogues into play. I would look for gradual trending of all guidance towards a big storm in the region on Jan 17-18. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic