• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Pattern ahead Jan 14-28 certainly looks favorable for large storm development....somewhere. The only 2 cons I see looking ahead are 1) we've all been headfaked in years past with epic pattern looks that end up verifying for 12 hours then revert back to the sos. And 2) as has been the case much of Nov and Dec, the mean trof in the East (when it has had the opportunity to dig) has been on an axis just too far to the east. A few big fall storms and 2 Dec storms we missed out on because they were too far off the coast. Not suggesting this hasn't or won't change. Just haven't spent a ton of time salivating over the looks but rather cherry picking what could yield failure. In my older years I've found it wiser to ask what could go wrong or why won't this work as opposed to ens at range as gospel. Though it is nice to see agreement on the cold push. If we get the big cold push, I urge patience as we could be overwhelmed by Siberia and need patience waiting for things to relax before getting the big dog.

Now with that said, let's find a way to luck our way into a KU before this month ends.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Pattern ahead Jan 14-28 certainly looks favorable for large storm development....somewhere. The only 2 cons I see looking ahead are 1) we've all been headfaked in years past with epic pattern looks that end up verifying for 12 hours then revert back to the sos. And 2) as has been the case much of Nov and Dec, the mean trof in the East (when it has had the opportunity to dig) has been on an axis just too far to the east. A few big fall storms and 2 Dec storms we missed out on because they were too far off the coast. Not suggesting this hasn't or won't change. Just haven't spent a ton of time salivating over the looks but rather cherry picking what could yield failure. In my older years I've found it wiser to ask what could go wrong or why won't this work as opposed to ens at range as gospel. Though it is nice to see agreement on the cold push. If we get the big cold push, I urge patience as we could be overwhelmed by Siberia and need patience waiting for things to relax before getting the big dog.

Now with that said, let's find a way to luck our way into a KU before this month ends.

This is reality.  - “ 1) we've all been headfaked in years past with epic pattern looks that end up verifying for 12 hours then revert back to the sos“

3 minutes ago, jviper said:

This is reality.  - “ 1) we've all been headfaked in years past with epic pattern looks that end up verifying for 12 hours then revert back to the sos“

While very true, this pattern has already dropped ten inches of snow on dc one week into January.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Yep storm development too Far East to me would be the biggest worries you cannot go wrong with the lined up telleconnectors and MJO entering into phase 8.  Location Location Location

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jviper said:

It can def be our reality but make no mistake, we can also sit in a good stable setup for longer than models think. That 100% happens but heartbreaks are more memorable than good hemispheric patterns. We've had multiple periods in the past that are close to or exactly like what is being shown. One thing they all had in common is they had staying power. Even when lr models tried to break it all down. It's just been a while but that's how our cycles work. Hot streaks and cold streaks embedded into long time cycles.  Based on the last week, we are prob already on a hot streak.

Sure, fail is always an option but the entire reason this place exists in the first place is to experience a hot streak with a good longwave setup. Don't let recency fail bias cloud your thoughts this time. It truly is different... finaly... At least in the upper levels. Snowfall is more predicated on chaos and luck from here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

To be honest, I'd trade a lone 3 foot blizzard for several 6" - 10" events and normal/below normal temps. Getting on big storm and watching it melt in 5 days is boring. Let's get and maintain a snowpack for once.

giphy.gif

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

I'll try to make a more thorough post later, but as best as I can see, we want that ocean storm to stay offshore and try and act somewhat like a 50/50 storm to suppress the flow and force the storm for next weekend under us.  Too strong and west and it will crush that subsequent storm.  Too weak and OTS and that storm may cut.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I'll try to make a more thorough post later, but as best as I can see, we want that ocean storm to stay offshore and try and act somewhat like a 50/50 storm to suppress the flow and force the storm for next weekend under us.  Too strong and west and it will crush that subsequent storm.  Too weak and OTS and that storm may cut.  

Yea it seems like we want to "sacrifice" this storm to set the table.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Exactly my thinking when I posted last night. A cat 5 just east of us will not only do us no good, but it will kill anything behind it for a few days.

57 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

To be honest, I'd trade a lone 3 foot blizzard for several 6" - 10" events and normal/below normal temps. Getting on big storm and watching it melt in 5 days is boring. Let's get and maintain a snowpack for once.

I'd trade a 3-foot blizzard for nothing. That's once in a lifetime stuff. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TowsonWeather said:

I'd trade a 3-foot blizzard for nothing. That's once in a lifetime stuff. 

I can see the appeal, but the argument that I was making is that big storms seem to kick good patterns out of the area faster. Take a look at Jan 2016. Solid event, but 3 days later we're roasting and the snow is melting off fast. 

17 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yes. This. People rooting for the Friday /Saturday thing are focusing on the wrong storm.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Sounds too needle thready...

30 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Are you saying that there is no way that the ocean storm could give us a decent hit? Isn't that a robust enough of a HP to  keep the cold air supplied to us?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic