Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

42 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Lol...I am to the point where I just want something other than a nina.  This hobby gets tiresome in years like this.  We'll earn every damn flake we see this year no doubt.

if it wasn't for moving and starting a new job this year, amongst other things, i'd probably care more, but at this point i'm just happy to be able to bike/hoop so deep into the season.  i'm definitely craving a snowstorm, though.  i don't think nina is gonna move too much this season (noaa has it lasting through prime), but the pacific seems active enough that maybe a well timed zonal vort could work out, if nothing else.

The long range has a very 2015 look to it. People like to throw 2014 around as a totally pac driven year but we had a pretty decent look up top most of the first 2/3 of that winter. Certainly not what was driving it but like I’ve said it’s a balancing act. A great pac and decent high latitudes is a good trade off. 2015 was a good pac and pretty awful high latitude look which is similar to what the eps and gefs is spitting out now. I’ve said I thought 2015 was a fluke because there isn’t much historical support for that look working here. But I guess we will put that to the test. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ji said:

10 day euro already showing the disaster when you dont have atlantic blocking.

Well to be fair the op euro also retrogrades the pac ridge into asia then slides the vortex currently near Japan over into Ak which floods pac puke across the conus. The ensembles don’t favor that as of right now but that would be a disaster. Essentially a bad pac and Atlantic at the same time. 

I do agree that people are being way too pacific focused lately. It’s recency bias. And I get it. We’ve actually had a favorable Atlantic much of the last 2 years and it’s not done much good. The pac has been so awful, and I do think the warmer base state of the pac and the globe makes it harder to overcome a bad pac.  But people are forgetting how frustrating the inverse can be also. There weren’t a lot of dots in the +pna +AO side of that 4” snows scatter plot either!  Truth is we need some cooperation from both the pac AND the HL if we want a high probability snow pattern. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Well to be fair the op euro also retrogrades the pac ridge into asia then slides the vortex currently near Japan over into Ak which floods pac puke across the conus. The ensembles don’t favor that as of right now but that would be a disaster. Essentially a bad pac and Atlantic at the same time. 

I do agree that people are being way too pacific focused lately. It’s recency bias. And I get it. We’ve actually had a favorable Atlantic much of the last 2 years and it’s not done much good. The pac has been so awful, and I do think the warmer base state of the pac and the globe makes it harder to overcome a bad pac.  But people are forgetting how frustrating the inverse can be also. There weren’t a lot of dots in the +pna +AO side of that 4” snows scatter plot either!  Truth is we need some cooperation from both the pac AND the HL if we want a high probability snow pattern. 

lol i meant in terms of how that D10 storm behaved...but yea...having a vortex back into alaska...after all that would probably be game over . I do expect NAO blocking to come back again this winter though. i dont think its a one and done!

• Like 1

The long range has a very 2015 look to it. People like to throw 2014 around as a totally pac driven year but we had a pretty decent look up top most of the first 2/3 of that winter. Certainly not what was driving it but like I’ve said it’s a balancing act. A great pac and decent high latitudes is a good trade off. 2015 was a good pac and pretty awful high latitude look which is similar to what the eps and gefs is spitting out now. I’ve said I thought 2015 was a fluke because there isn’t much historical support for that look working here. But I guess we will put that to the test. 

You mean late January through early March of 2015? Because that was awesome.

33 minutes ago, anotherman said:

You mean late January through early March of 2015? Because that was awesome.

Yea but that was a Nino so more stj and a tpv got displaced into Quebec which acted as de facto blocking on the flow. I wouldn’t expect the same results from that same longwave pattern absent those 2 nuances 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ji said:

lol i meant in terms of how that D10 storm behaved...but yea...having a vortex back into alaska...after all that would probably be game over . I do expect NAO blocking to come back again this winter though. i dont think its a one and done!

Well the 12z eps went along with the op.
70A86A53-DC95-4E06-AE2A-828ECF1E3277.thumb.png.1129055e2ee694505b8dc1a3ae26ab33.png

But hey it’s a +pna…I hope people don’t complain when it’s still 50* due to the fact the high latitude pattern went to crap!  

Look at that, nice Aleutian low, +pna, great pac, and we’re torching.  Because a +++AO will offset the pac the same way a - - -pna will offset a -AO. 

• Like 1

One last thing to consider…there are a lot of combos the pac pattern can take but most aren’t good. It’s not a 50/50 thing. It’s more like 70/30 in terms of what works for us. That’s just a fact of our latitude and it’s only getting worse as it warms. 

Specifically we need there to be some amplitude to the jet in the pac to prevent zonal pac puke from infiltrating the conus. So we need a pac ridge somewhere…but it has to be positioned just right. Too far west and the trough is out west. Too far East and the vortex can get into Ak and destroy our cold air source. An Aleutian low is good but slightly too far west and it causes a -pna and too far east  and it floods pac puke across the US.  The type of perfect pac pattern like 2014-2015 that can give us snow absent much help on the Atlantic side is really rare. It’s a perfect alignment of various features. Absent that we can overcome a mediocre alignment in the pac with some help on other places. But if the pac is “ok” and everything else is bad that’s not a winning hand either imo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

70A86A53-DC95-4E06-AE2A-828ECF1E3277.thumb.png.1129055e2ee694505b8dc1a3ae26ab33.png

But hey it’s a +pna…I hope people don’t complain when it’s still 50* due to the fact the high latitude pattern went to crap!  

Look at that, nice Aleutian low, +pna, great pac, and we’re torching.  Because a +++AO will offset the pac the same way a - - -pna will offset a -AO. 

I don’t think anyone is expecting much at this point. I am already seeing buds on trees so what else could go wrong

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Do I sense it's getting close to a "towel time" post?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

I believe it was Dec 30th of 2019 when PSU made his famous post.  It was a doozy, and it turned out to be 100% accurate.  I have bad dreams about that post.

Maybe it is over.  Who knows.  Not me or really anyone else.  There are a lot of prognosticators on twitter that will have to redact some predictions made couple weeks ago that’s for sure.

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Maybe it is over.  Who knows.  Not me or really anyone else.  There are a lot of prognosticators on twitter that will have to redact some predictions made couple weeks ago that’s for sure.

I have started following 3 of the twitterati lately who seem knowledgeable and not too hypish: Griteater, Webberweather, and Dr. Simon Lee. Grit and Webber still see some reason for hope.  Dr  Lee seems neutral right now.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea but that was a Nino so more stj and a tpv got displaced into Quebec which acted as de facto blocking on the flow. I wouldn’t expect the same results from that same longwave pattern absent those 2 nuances 

So it be like a new Corvette but without the engine or transmission alrighty then

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic