Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• mappy pinned this topic

We needed a new thread badly - time for some new mojo.  

The persistence of the -PNA is quite something on the 6z GEFS.  But on the plus side, ridging in the NAO/AO domains continues into early January with low heights rotating through the 50/50 region quite consistently.  As the -EPO shifts east some, it pushes the WC trough which helps to mute the SE ridge.  You’d think there’d be some chances with this look.

image.thumb.png.815ac799286d8748fb3f16e82cf3200b.png

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

The persistence of the -PNA is quite something on the 6z GEFS.  But on the plus side, ridging in the NAO/AO domains continues into early January with low heights rotating through the 50/50 region quite consistently.  As the -EPO shifts east some, it pushes the WC trough which helps to mute the SE ridge.  You’d think there’d be some chances with this look.

I like that pattern a lot. I don’t think that would be a dry pattern.

• Like 1

Ice storm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
40 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Ice storm

And maybe some front end thumps. I agree

1 hour ago, Ji said:
2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Ice storm

Can you share the features at 500 that favor an ice storm in this setup?  Would like to know what to look for.

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Can you share the features at 500 that favor an ice storm in this setup?  Would like to know what to look for.

A bit of a southwest flow into confluence in the east is my take. Likely surface cold in the east with warm air pushing moisture into it. Seems like a perfect cad setup to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pink on the GFS ensembles now through 168hr 7 days. I've been watching these long term models every day since probably 2001, and I've never seen that deep and long of a 500mb anomaly. And, it's at 55N degrees! 

Some perspective: Dec 1 - Jan 3 will come in at +380dm. In 75 years Since 1948:

2. is +280 in 2010

3. is +230 in 1955. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Nice gefs run 

Was about to post the same. EPO re-establishes itself just after the new year and connects to the NAO. 50/50 heights remain low throughout. Would love to see that EPO ridge shift just a little east though.

Even so...that cold in NW Canada gets released and pushes to the SE. We also see the increased precip anomalies from the Tennessee Valley into the Mid-Atlantic towards the end of the run. That's another thing that's been noticeable for quite a few runs now.

• Like 7

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic