Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NYC subforum Weenie Power Rankings

Rjay

2 hours ago, snywx said:

You still don't think you are the biggest weenie in here? Sorry metsfan, he's got you beat by a mile 

lol sorry, I just dont really like going out of major cities unless I'm at my other house and even that really annoys me because everything is so far away from each other.

Besides skiing why exactly would one go to the Catskills?

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

lol sorry, I just dont really like going out of major cities unless I'm at my other house and even that really annoys me because everything is so far away from each other.

Since when is Rockland anywhere near the Catskills? Rockland is only 5 miles further from the city than you are in Oceanside. Seriously, I really hope you are just trolling 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

45 minutes ago, snywx said:

Since when is Rockland anywhere near the Catskills? Rockland is only 5 miles further from the city than you are in Oceanside. Seriously, I really hope you are just trolling 

Good morning Liberty, snywx, Irish. Liberty I don’t believe you consciously troll. Instead you enjoy the give and take of a lively discussion. I also understand/experience the convenience of living deep within a major city. The formula seems to be ‘C’ity + ‘C’onvenience = ‘L’iving. The accuracy of the formula becomes problematic once you have a Catskills type experience.  I’m entranced with the idea of living in a building that is also a forest and a park. One that could possibly be thought of as a low rise Catskills on the coastal plain. I imagine the thought of NYC trading UHI for radiational cooking. I’m also old and will never live to see such a wonder. And even though I may neve again walk the paths of a blessed place like the Catskills I will stand, eyes closed, in my postage stamp and continue to dream. Stay well all. As always ….

3A7DDB59-573D-414E-8C7B-46A1C17ABC38.png

4A2F9C1F-6E8C-44FF-B458-140D5F93F160.png

EE1E7785-CCD5-4678-8801-3A7239B05CE5.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snywx said:

Nope anything north of Southern Westchester is upstate to me.  There are mountains in Rockland (or so I heard) where people go hiking.  That's all Catskills to me and I don't go there

8 hours ago, rclab said:

Good morning Liberty, snywx, Irish. Liberty I don’t believe you consciously troll. Instead you enjoy the give and take of a lively discussion. I also understand/experience the convenience of living deep within a major city. The formula seems to be ‘C’ity + ‘C’onvenience = ‘L’iving. The accuracy of the formula becomes problematic once you have a Catskills type experience.  I’m entranced with the idea of living in a building that is also a forest and a park. One that could possibly be thought of as a low rise Catskills on the coastal plain. I imagine the thought of NYC trading UHI for radiational cooking. I’m also old and will never live to see such a wonder. And even though I may neve again walk the paths of a blessed place like the Catskills I will stand, eyes closed, in my postage stamp and continue to dream. Stay well all. As always ….

3A7DDB59-573D-414E-8C7B-46A1C17ABC38.png

4A2F9C1F-6E8C-44FF-B458-140D5F93F160.png

EE1E7785-CCD5-4678-8801-3A7239B05CE5.png

Thanks, I actually like going to the Poconos, because it's not as cold there as it is further north.  Camelback is pretty good to ski at without getting the extreme cold of Upstate NY.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Nope anything north of Southern Westchester is upstate to me.  There are mountains in Rockland (or so I heard) where people go hiking.  That's all Catskills to me and I don't go there

The Poconos are actually more geologically similar to the Catskills than Harriman State Park.

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

The Poconos are actually more geologically similar to the Catskills than Harriman State Park.

Yep, all part of the Apps. but I keep looking at Monticello temps and it's intolerably cold.  Granted the southern Poconos where my other home is can get really cold too, but it hits the 60s there almost every winter a few times.  It's just one county NW of Allentown.

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I love your geographical and historical posts but it's not like its frozen tundra everywhere north of the Tappan Zee. I think exposure to these places helps because as a child growing up in Queens I used to think that way too. 

2 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

I love your geographical and historical posts but it's not like its frozen tundra everywhere north of the Tappan Zee. I think exposure to these places helps because as a child growing up in Queens I used to think that way too. 

lol I know it's just fun to characterize it that way because of the way it's described in local weather forecasts, I always thought those areas got 100" plus of snow every year.

It always shocks me when they get less snow than us because I'm conditioned from the 80s where N/W always got double or triple times the snow we did in every storm.

5.  Headintheclouds- for letting snowman19 get to him 

4.  Snowman19- for his continued dedication to telling us it can't snow...ever!

3.- Mr omega- for being the worst

2.  LibertyBell- for his deep thoughts on what's considered upstate NY and his continued multiquote issues

1. Metsfan- for thinking Buck Showalter will make a difference

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Rjay said:

2.  LibertyBell- for his deep thoughts on what's considered upstate NY and his continued multiquote issues

I've kind of tried to limit myself to not doing more than 2 consecutive posts where I can lol, it's a workaround to the multiquote thing lol.

We should add you to this list too, for thinking there's going to be a baseball season this year haha.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

Good morning Rjay. The New England sub forum may have the most posts, however the NYC Metro sub forum continues to have a higher weenie power ranking. Wonderful list and a sincere congratulations to those who made it possible. Stay well all, as always ….

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

lol I know it's just fun to characterize it that way because of the way it's described in local weather forecasts, I always thought those areas got 100" plus of snow every year.

It always shocks me when they get less snow than us because I'm conditioned from the 80s where N/W always got double or triple times the snow we did in every storm.

Agree if you listened to the news it's always 1-3 in the city, more North and West, yet winter storms are not that simple..... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Also I used to think North and West literally meant North and West of the city, like a line from Fort Lee to Yonkers to CT Coast (and maybe it did in the 90s lol). But now North and West seems to be more like Mahwah to Ossining to Mount Kisco. 

It's vague when demarcations are not mentioned for an event (like 287, 84, Thruway, TZB, or "far N&W", etc).  I grew up in Queens and had family in Rockland and thought of that as the hinterlands when I was a kid lol.  And snow forecasts always seemed to be "more N&W".

I've been where I am now (north-central Bergen county at the Rockland border) for 30 years and since it's not that far N&W but still somewhat so, I am often not sure when "N&W" is just generically thrown around how far N&W is actually meant.  The way the crow flies I am about 16 miles from the GWB in Ft Lee, 22 from midtown Manhattan, 35 from the south shore of Brooklyn and 9 from where the TZB hits Rockland and a couple of miles south of due west of it.

Following along here helps (I've actually been around since ne.weather but don't post much) and pros (Criag Allen, Lee Goldberg and Nick Gregory are really the only ones I pay attention to) do usually indicate distances/locations.

• Like 4