Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wednesday’s Amazing Event 12/8/21

SnowenOutThere

15 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

c’mon guys - lay off a bit. threads are good for archival purposes and keeping our discussions organized. it’s not like making a thread is a major use of time and resources. if we all truly knew this would be nothing of course there wouldn’t be a thread - but this seemed like a potential 1-3”/T-2 when it was made.

he didn't say not to make any thread. but making one Saturday (which was when it was originally made) was too soon. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

he didn't say not to make any thread. but making one Saturday (which was when it was originally made) was too soon. 

if all we're talking about is whether a thread should've been made Saturday - totally agree. it was too early. if we are complaining still.... I've got an issue with it.

I just don't want to pick on one person primarily because they are young, enthusiastic, and want to get off on a good start by making a successful thread (which this wasn't -- wrong horse to bet on!). that was (and still is) me. I'm guessing the lesson has been learned without piling on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

And the thing is, he kept droning on and on and on about making a thread. I’m not even references the superstitious bullshit, it’s just the fact that we all kinda knew it wasn’t going to be a big deal worthy of a thread 3 and 4 days out. 

3 to 4 days ago there was the potential that this could be an up to 4 inch snowstorm if things came together. Several members acknowledged that this event had the potential to be a decent little storm for December. Now starting a thread Saturday was too early and I will just wait for someone else to start one in the future. 

12 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

if all we're talking about is whether a thread should've been made Saturday - totally agree. it was too early. if we are complaining still.... I've got an issue with it.

I just don't want to pick on one person primarily because they are young, enthusiastic, and want to get off on a good start by making a successful thread (which this wasn't -- wrong horse to bet on!). that was (and still is) me. I'm guessing the lesson has been learned without piling on.

im not sure what you're complaining about to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Nobody is picking on anyone. 

My opinion, which probably doesn’t matter at all, is that on nickel and dime events, where model consensus is sketchy at best should not have threads started until 36-48 hours out, where some consensus has been reached.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

My opinion, which probably doesn’t matter at all, is that on nickel and dime events, where model consensus is sketchy at best should not have threads started until 36-48 hours out, where some consensus has been reached.

Day of sounds even better. this thread never would have been created lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

im not sure what you're complaining about to be honest. 

I'm probably only making it worse, so I'll bounce out of this discussion, but I'd like to think you can figure out where I'm coming from. Don't think I'm that cryptic. 

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Totally agreed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'm probably only making it worse, so I'll bounce out of this discussion, but I'd like to think you can figure out where I'm coming from. Don't think I'm that cryptic. 

Totally agreed. 

you're accusing some of us of piling up on a kid in high school for starting a thread. i don't think anyone was doing that. 

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Oh definitely agree. I would have been the same way no matter who started it. Ask Ji :lol:

its all so silly anyways. the 'event' will end up being nothing and it is what it is. all this other stuff is just silly chatter and noise for no reason at all.

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

its all so silly anyways. the 'event' will end up being nothing and it is what it is. all this other stuff is just silly chatter and noise for no reason at all.

Yes silly. Starting a thread "too early" has zero impact on what transpires. 

Starting a specific storm thread at least keeps the perpetual snow map posts from cluttering the main MR/LR thread. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yes silly. Starting a thread "too early" has zero impact on what transpires. 

Starting a specific storm thread at least keeps the perpetual snow map posts from cluttering the main MR/LR thread. 

I agree. FWIW the thread that was started Saturday had already been closed and hidden by the time I even logged on to see it, so it wasn't just me who thought it was too early to start a thread. The superstition aspect is all in good fun. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

I agree. FWIW the thread that was started Saturday had already been closed and hidden by the time I even logged on to see it, so it wasn't just me who thought it was too early to start a thread. The superstition aspect is all in good fun. 

What's the general rule? 72 hours? That seems reasonable if there is good model agreement.

Blame the GFS on this one lol. I won't bring up the NAM because it should always be ignored 3 days out.

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

What's the general rule? 72 hours? That seems reasonable if there is good model agreement.

Blame the GFS on this one lol. I won't bring up the NAM because it should always be ignored 3 days out.

I am not sure we have a set rule. I think it just depends on the threat. This one in particular never had a good consensus on all models until last night when the front end low went poof, and the follow up low stayed south. 

I hate to have a rule for when threads can be started, or even by whom. I think they each just need to be treated based on the situation.  

17 minutes ago, CAPE said:

72 hours is typical for smaller events I’d say. We’ve done longer for big dogs that have some level of consensus already.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Lol, piling on is the best way to learn. But where was the oversight?

On 12/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, SnowenOutThere said:

We know it will be a non event but still warrants a thread just because. This is for discussion, banter and obs. Just yeah, even with it being a non event we should have a thread so the normal ones don’t get flooded with reports of flurries and whining. Mods can delete if they want. Got the idea from @WxUSAF

Main reason I made it, seems to have worked with how this has 7 pages of false hope and now banter + whining. So I would say this thread fulfilled it's mission of keeping this storm's "discussion" out of the main thread. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic