Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

58 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That was one of the more overrated winters for MBY.....to a lesser degree 1993-94, too (sorry, Jerry)

Yeah they were similar but 93-94 had more snow and it was colder more consistently. 93-94 was torchy in December until Christmas when the hammer dropped for 2 months.

Not a bad forecast, but not great. The general idea of a coating to 2", with little to none over the south coast, cape and islands was correct, but the isolated 3"+ was west, not east.....as I didn't handle that stubborn dry air in the northeast quadrant of Mass very well.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2021/12/verification-of-thursday-night-snowfall.html

C+

Final Call.png

Verified Storm.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I lost it January 2014 when we had something like more inches of rain than inches of snow and there was a frozen lake in my yard… while Philly ripped off like their 5th Winter Storm Warning, ha.  “Leon” winter.

Cutter, arctic air, no upslope, then Philly snowstorm… cutter, arctic air, no upslope, Philly snowstorm… repeat.

Mother Nature didn’t reward me for my melt dammit!

January 1-15, 2014 was an incredibly frustrating paradox.  Despite the temp average of 11.6° (4.6 BN) we had 2.1" snow and 3.46" total precip.  Then the rest of the month was near normal temps but dry - only 0.31" that brought the month's snow to 5.1", least of our 23 Januarys here.

Anyone who lived through the late 1980s/early 1990s as a kid should be a grizzled veteran sledding on 2” of snow. 

When I was 4 we moved in 1950 from NJ city life to a lake community in the Jersey Highlands, and the winters 1950-51 thru 54-55 were all well BN for snow, the biggest storm was about 8" (on 12/2-3 and gone by the 5th) and #3 was only 4 or 5.  Learning to run a sled in that kind of winter was a form of torture, and 55-56 was on the same track thru March 15 before 16-19 brought storms of 6" and 24", beginning the incredible 5-year run of big storms. 

8 hours ago, tamarack said:

January 1-15, 2014 was an incredibly frustrating paradox.  Despite the temp average of 11.6° (4.6 BN) we had 2.1" snow and 3.46" total precip.  Then the rest of the month was near normal temps but dry - only 0.31" that brought the month's snow to 5.1", least of our 23 Januarys here.

Anyone who lived through the late 1980s/early 1990s as a kid should be a grizzled veteran sledding on 2” of snow. 

When I was 4 we moved in 1950 from NJ city life to a lake community in the Jersey Highlands, and the winters 1950-51 thru 54-55 were all well BN for snow, the biggest storm was about 8" (on 12/2-3 and gone by the 5th) and #3 was only 4 or 5.  Learning to run a sled in that kind of winter was a form of torture, and 55-56 was on the same track thru March 15 before 16-19 brought storms of 6" and 24", beginning the incredible 5-year run of big storms. 

What town did you move from/to?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was a solid winter for sure. I think Ray got mad he missed the big snow on like 1/2 that year and the deformation band that got me later that month, but he did get revenge in Feb. 

And as far as 93/94 goes I had 10 inches or more of snow cover from 1/7 to 3/14. Doesn't get much better. 74 inch year

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

From Ct to Scooter to you  had  70 to 80 plus inches CNH 80 to 110 NNH 110 to 180 overrated? PFFT

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

And as far as 93/94 goes I had 10 inches or more of snow cover from 1/7 to 3/14. Doesn't get much better. 74 inch year

Why do I care why how much snow the cog railway got?

They were both like 10" above average for me with no real standout events...people speak about them as though they were epic, which is simply not the case for MBY. 1993-1994 was at least memorable...2013-2014 was not, aside from my dad dying right before the big, cold, dry March fail.

12 hours ago, weathafella said:

What town did you move from/to?

I was born at Orange Memorial Hospital and we then lived in East Orange.  IIRC, that town had 30,000 people in 4 square miles.  Our 1950 move was to Kinnelon in northern Morris County, which then had about 1,500 people in 30 square miles.  Our home there bordered on the undeveloped watershed of Butler Reservoir and we could walk 1/2 mile or more without hitting civilization.  Slight difference.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:19 AM, tamarack said:

I was born at Orange Memorial Hospital and we then lived in East Orange.  IIRC, that town had 30,000 people in 4 square miles.  Our 1950 move was to Kinnelon in northern Morris County, which then had about 1,500 people in 30 square miles.  Our home there bordered on the undeveloped watershed of Butler Reservoir and we could walk 1/2 mile or more without hitting civilization.  Slight difference.

And definitely snowier where you moved to!

On 12/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, Ginx snewx said:

BOS had 96 in 93-94.   So I’m thinking OES enhancement plus less sleet made the difference?   Right up there with 1960-61, 1995-96, and 2014-15.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

93-94 was maybe my favorite winter in SE MA.  95-96 as a season had more snow, sure, but a boatload fell in March and April when winter was over and the novelty/ staying power was gone

November/December 1995 had good snow. January 96 got the meaty goods to BOS.  March and April had above normal snow but nothing like November through February.

20 hours ago, weathafella said:

BOS had 96 in 93-94.   So I’m thinking OES enhancement plus less sleet made the difference?   Right up there with 1960-61, 1995-96, and 2014-15.  

Yea, the OES is what porked me....there were also a few interior events that hammered ORH, which I also missed out on. I was caught in the middle...I rained with the coast, but didn't get the OES.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

You sure? Where in SE MA? I was in Brockton and most of the snow was December into first half of Feb. We aid have a snowy first like 10 days of March for sure.

attleboro area.  I was a weenie and had snowfall tallies for everyone event for all of my H.S. 92-96 winters when things got real, lost them though.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

There were also back to back events in early April to close the season out.

50 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

attleboro area.  I was a weenie and had snowfall tallies for everyone event for all of my H.S. 92-96 winters when things got real, lost them though.

Ahh ok. You probably had more than me in April especially second storm. I was a little east of the goodies. 

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

Age 10 to 20.   Formative years!

The event that triggered my interest in both weather and trees came a few years earlier, a major ice storm for the hills west/north of NYC on January 8-9, 1953.  Broken branches on essentially every tree more than 30 feet tall with some snapped off completely, lost power for 6 days. 
Fittingly, the 1998 ice storm was on the same dates.