Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Might be some bad luck. I had 12.5" in December last year, and I know just NW of you had over a foot in Feb this year too. 

He’s not wrong though… the last 5 or so years haven’t been all that great. We are on an overall great run, but I laugh at all this regression to the mean talk from folks. After 14-15 it’s been meh

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

He’s not wrong though… the last 5 or so years haven’t been all that great. We are on an overall great run, but I laugh at all this regression to the mean talk from folks. After 14-15 it’s been meh

It's happening and will continue. Not all years, but I feel pretty confident for places like Boston, and down to you and I...the 30 yr norms will go down a bit. We have increased annual snowfall by a significant amount. And 16-17, 17-18 were pretty good. Other than 19-20...we haven't had much of a ratter either. 

You people are so spoiled. 12" storms do not grow on trees. We went years without one in the 80s. I'll say it again, when you saw the "white" shading of 3-6" from Bruce, Dick, or Harvey...you were elated. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's happening and will continue. Not all years, but I feel pretty confident for places like Boston, and down to you and I...the 30 yr norms will go down a bit. We have increased annual snowfall by a significant amount. And 16-17, 17-18 were pretty good. Other than 19-20...we haven't had much of a ratter either. 

You people are so spoiled. 12" storms do not grow on trees. We went years without one in the 80s. I'll say it again, when you saw the "white" shading of 3-6" from Bruce, Dick, or Harvey...you were elated. 

Yep. BOS literally went a decade without a 12”+ storm from Feb 1983 to March 1993. LOL. 

SE MA and up into BOS probably have increased their 30 year snowfall by a solid 10-15% in the past 2-3 decades. That is a monster number for a 30 year average to increase for places that avg between 35-50”. 

Regression has a lot more work to do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep. BOS literally went a decade without a 12”+ storm from Feb 1983 to March 1993. LOL. 

SE MA and up into BOS probably have increased their 30 year snowfall by a solid 10-15% in the past 2-3 decades. That is a monster number for a 30 year average to increase for places that avg between 35-50”. 

Regression has a lot more work to do. 

People just don't get it...mostly the younger crowd. Winter's have warmed a bit as a whole, but we just didn't have the biggies back then. I remember so many times where it was bare ground and cold. Sure now and then we had some good ones, but that stretch after 83..woof. I suppose 86-87 and 87-88 weren't too bad.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

People just don't get it...mostly the younger crowd. Winter's have warmed a bit as a whole, but we just didn't have the biggies back then. I remember so many times where it was bare ground and cold. Sure now and then we had some good ones, but that stretch after 83..woof. I suppose 86-87 and 87-88 weren't too bad.

It's easier if you're not a snow weenie.  All the years end up looking the same and you only recall a few storms here and there.

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's easier if you're not a snow weenie.  All the years end up looking the same and you only recall a few storms here and there.

I was and still am lol. I just remember all the comments about "we don't have winters like we used to.....blizzard of 78 this and that...etc."   God am I glad we broke that in 92-93. 

But the new age weenies need to understand it's quite likely we overall will regress a bit, especially in cstl areas where the average snowfall has dramatically increased.

50 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The only good year was 17-18 in the past 5 years. Last year was ok, I had 2 12+ inch storms so it wasn’t by any means a bad winter, but we haven’t had a major slow moving blizzard that buries the region with 2 feet of snow since March 2018. Even if it’s not a great winter, if we get a massive blizzard like March 13th 2018, Jan 26th 2015, Feb 8 2013 ect, even if the rest of the winter is meh I’ll take it (I believe 2005-2006 one of Rays analogs was like that). Normally I’d rather just have the frequent 6-12s but it’s been a while since the last 2 footer so I’m hoping we see one this year.