• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

Strictly an observer and have been on this site for a while, long enough to see that whatever the thinking is four or five days ahead of the event it’s a 50-50 chance, usually, sometimes it’ll be 6 to 12 inches of nothing and sometimes it’ll be 2 feet of partly cloudy, one thing for sure it will eventually snow, as of now there have been two snow events in Barkhamstead, a dusting and about 0.75”, pretty typical as of December 5th.

• Like 1

Just now, weathafella said:

Hi everyone!  Thanks so much for the multitude of good wishes-it means a lot and touches my heart!  We were watching a movie around 12:30AM when out of nowhere I got lightheaded and experienced severe vertigo.   I also got nauseous and thought I was having a heart attack even though I didn’t have much chest pain.  On the way to the emergency room my wife had to pull over twice for me to vomit.  Got to the emergency department and kept barfing.  EKG, cardiac enzymes, brain ct and mri were normal, stress test normal-still occupying the barfarama.   Neurologist wanted to ensure it was not a stroke that occurred.  The strange thing is I did the stress test around 2 and wondered for the life of me how I was going to do it with nausea but as I worked out the nausea disappeared-no idea why!  Neurologist thinks it may be inner ear problem but honestly once the big stuff is ruled out it’s an educated guess.

Waiting to be discharged and wondering what caused the symptoms-even got a Covid test which was negative.  I’m tired-slept maybe 1 hour last night and dozed a bit today.

I am so touched by the outpouring here-I love our wx community!

One more thing-this threat isn’t dead!  I’m not scoring the models until verification time.  Hopefully it happens!  I like how cold Canada is-we’ll get ours soon!

Great to hear Jer! Get home and get well and get snowy !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Hi everyone!  Thanks so much for the multitude of good wishes-it means a lot and touches my heart!  We were watching a movie around 12:30AM when out of nowhere I got lightheaded and experienced severe vertigo.   I also got nauseous and thought I was having a heart attack even though I didn’t have much chest pain.  On the way to the emergency room my wife had to pull over twice for me to vomit.  Got to the emergency department and kept barfing.  EKG, cardiac enzymes, brain ct and mri were normal, stress test normal-still occupying the barfarama.   Neurologist wanted to ensure it was not a stroke that occurred.  The strange thing is I did the stress test around 2 and wondered for the life of me how I was going to do it with nausea but as I worked out the nausea disappeared-no idea why!  Neurologist thinks it may be inner ear problem but honestly once the big stuff is ruled out it’s an educated guess.

Waiting to be discharged and wondering what caused the symptoms-even got a Covid test which was negative.  I’m tired-slept maybe 1 hour last night and dozed a bit today.

One more thing-this threat isn’t dead!  I’m not scoring the models until verification time.  Hopefully it happens!  I like how cold Canada is-we’ll get ours soon!

Glad to hear your alright! Health is everything ! (winter weather is 2nd! haha)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Great news Jerry, I had a severe case of vertigo back in 1993, Was bed ridden for like 7 days, Every once in a while it rears its head, But has never been to the magnitude like the first time plus i have some exercises i do when it comes on that gets the particles back where they belong, Get rested, Get well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Great news! I had something similar and it ended up being labyrinthitis. A viral infection of the inner ear. No joke! Get well Jerry! 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Great news! Hope the cause is a simple fix! Best of luck to you as you continue to recover....

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not sure if you recently had a booster, but friend of mine had severe vertigo after the booster.  Was in the hospital for a few days

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Great news Jerry, we were all pulling for a good outcome.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, weathafella said:

so glad to hear your doing ok!!! :)

• Thanks 1

Jerry, you are a very good friend. I'll never forget when you showed up to BWH when I had that serious accident years back .

Cheers to a speedy recovery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for even more outpouring!  This was not my first episode of vertigo but the others were mild and totally manageable.  This one was rough!  Also, my booster was 10/25 so not thinking it’s that especially given the prior mild vertigo events.  Hasn’t happened for 10 years so hopefully I can get some tools to manage it.  

My wife just got me some and coffee and I’m holding it down fine so maybe we’re on the downhill side.  First food and drink in 20 hours.

Thos event will trend back much better by 0z tonight-the slight ticks have already begun.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Thanks guys for even more outpouring!  This was not my first episode of vertigo but the others were mild and totally manageable.  This one was rough!  Also, my booster was 10/25 so not thinking it’s that especially given the prior mild vertigo events.  Hasn’t happened for 10 years so hopefully I can get some tools to manage it.  

My wife just got me some and coffee and I’m holding it down fine so maybe we’re on the downhill side.  First food and drink in 20 hours.

Thos event will trend back much better by 0z tonight-the slight ticks have already begun.

Meniere’s disease? My wife’s grandfather has that and has occasional symptoms similar to what you had last night. Great news that it was nothing major. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jerry, as a fellow vertigo sufferer, it's sometimes hard to explain to someone who has not experienced a real nasty event, how bad and scary / unsettling an episode can be.   Most of my episodes are mild, but every several years a bad one will hit out of nowhere.  After a horrible event a few years ago, a doctor showed me a video showing how to stop or at least temper the event if you sense one is starting.    I'm sure you can find it online by googling "exercise for vertigo".  I have used it a couple of times since, and it really settled the event down.  The one I've used with success is the one by Dr. Foster...  Stay well... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you are alright, Jerry.

I can tell you from personal experience, the vertigo thing out of no where is very disconcerting - down right scary.   And it can be anything! 

Hopefully it's as simple as an antibiotic for inner ear or something.  When I had mine, I had just finished a final exam, Junior year in college when out of the blue, no sense of up down right left fore' or aft.  I literally had to pat the walls of Ball Hall with palms, and feel my way back to my dorm through the tunnel to Smith Hall - which doesn't exist now ( UML ).  Anyway, passer-byes were looking at me like, 'Is that dude alright' - it was the weirdest scariest to this day, unexplained episode. 

It cleared up in a couple of hours and the rest of that night I was sort of in a fugue but nothing else.  But I ended up having CTC scan and all this blood work - terrified that I was going to be told I had a brain tumor or some shit.   Nada - ... phone call came and everything was negative.  "Yeah, but why - "  ... was told it's just sometimes weird things happen.  That was the answer I got.  Seeing as that was 25 years ago - ...I think I'll be okay :).

Sounds like you will be too.    But to this day, sometimes I wonder if that will ever strike again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Jerry, as a fellow vertigo sufferer, it's sometimes hard to explain to someone who has not experienced a real nasty event, how bad and scary / unsettling an episode can be.   Most of my episodes are mild, but every several years a bad one will hit out of nowhere.  After a horrible event a few years ago, a doctor showed me a video showing how to stop or at least temper the event if you sense one is starting.    I'm sure you can find it online by googling "exercise for vertigo".  I have used it a couple of times since, and it really settled the event down.  The one I've used with success is the one by Dr. Foster...  Stay well... 

That’s a nice video!  Thank you!