• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS-NOWCAST for the Probable period of Hazardous wintry weather for a portion of the NYC sub forum centered on Wednesday Dec 8, 2021

wdrag

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Looking better if you like the colder but much weaker scenario. Right now most models are painting a picture of light snow with a coating to an inch or so. We'll see if this continues to change.

It would seem it's either a bit of snow to alot of rain or a small amount of wet snow that sticks to grassy surfaces 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs is a big snowstorm 

Who believes this ? I think the jury is still out on this one...but as I mentioned earlier it seems the CMC was the most consistent and other models are trending towards it now - CMC 2 runs ago showed a SECS

gfs_asnow_neus_20.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Who believes this ? I think the jury is still out on this one...but as I mentioned earlier it seems the CMC was the most consistent and other models are trending towards it now - CMC 2 runs ago showed a SECS

gfs_asnow_neus_20.png

Wasnt everybody throwing in the towel on December a few days ago because the GFS was showing endless 60s?

Gospel or a comic strip?

24 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs has been trending south 

The only trends that seem to matter for us are the ones that occur under 72 hrs. It would be great if we had a model that could get a 96-120 hr coastal storm track correct. Funny how models usually can get cutters right from a week out.;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gfs has been trending south 

This is why you don’t cancel winter on December 1. Sure, logic tells me this probably won’t happen, but I’ve seen this movie before… it’s mild, it gets cold for a quick snap and snows, and it melts in three days.

I’ve also lived the movie where it’s cold and cold and cold and dry.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, North and West said:

This is why you don’t cancel winter on December 1. Sure, logic tells me this probably won’t happen, but I’ve seen this movie before… it’s mild, it gets cold for a quick snap and snows, and it melts in three days.

Yeah 90-91 had very little cold air but we managed 2 good storms in a 2 week period from late Dec thru early Jan. We had maybe 5 days with snowcover however 

The 18z GFS scenario isn’t very likely. The individual EPS members suggest only a very low probability of such an outcome. If the AO+, NAO+, PNA- forecast is accurate, the largest storm during the December 1-20 period occurred during December 19-20, 2008 with 4.5” in NYC. More than a foot fell in parts of southern New England.

It is too soon to write off a snowfall, but a lot more support from the other guidance will be needed to accept something along the lines of the 18z GFS. Such an outcome might not even show up on the 0z cycle.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 1

41 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The only trends that seem to matter for us are the ones that occur under 72 hrs. It would be great if we had a model that could get a 96-120 hr coastal storm track correct. Funny how models usually can get cutters right from a week out.;)

Exactly-I’m not counting on anything until it’s under 72hrs. These can easily trend north significantly at the end. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The 18z GFS scenario isn’t very likely. The individual EPS members suggest only a very low probability of such an outcome. If the AO+, NAO+, PNA- forecast is accurate, the largest storm during the December 1-20 period occurred during December 19-20, 2008 with 4.5” in NYC. More than a foot fell in parts of southern New England.

It is too soon to write off a snowfall, but a lot more support from the other guidance will be needed to accept something along the lines of the 18z GFS. Such an outcome might not even show up on the 0z cycle.

Thanks Don. No two winters are alike but will hold out hope for a repeat of 2008/2009. Icy winter with above average seasonal snowfall capped by a nice March first noreaster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Exactly-I’m not counting on anything until it’s under 72hrs. These can easily trend north significantly at the end. 

A thread the needle SWFE has been our storm track of choice when the general pattern was challenging. The models seem struggle even more when a storm follows another one by only a few days. But I don’t really trust individual model forecasts for coastals until we get under 72 hrs.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks Don. No two winters are alike but will hold out hope for a repeat of 2008/2009. Icy winter with above average seasonal snowfall capped by a nice March first noreaster.

I am hopeful that this won’t be a relatively snowless winter, but the recent push by the AO to strongly positive levels as typically preceded winters with below to much below normal snowfall. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, North and West said:

Ensembles have consistently been too strong with SE ridging past D10 the last few weeks...there has been a tendency to try to show a shutout pattern beyond D10 but when we get closer in we more end up in a poor pattern vs a total shutout pattern

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

I am hopeful that this won’t be a relatively snowless winter, but the recent push by the AO to strongly positive levels as typically preceded winters with below to much below normal snowfall. 

How many winters in Central Park have been 10" or below following a 39"+ winter?

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Metsfan weenied you lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• wdrag changed the title to OBS-NOWCAST for the Probable period of Hazardous wintry weather for a portion of the NYC sub forum centered on Wednesday Dec 8, 2021
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic