• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS-NOWCAST for the Probable period of Hazardous wintry weather for a portion of the NYC sub forum centered on Wednesday Dec 8, 2021

wdrag

3 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

From the related article:

Wednesday has the potential to cause a bit of havoc for the tri-state with the chance of the city and surrounding counties seeing "significant" snowfall if the current incoming system stays the course, Storm Team 4 says. 

To be blunt, this “Storm Team” should ride the proverbial bench. Three factors argue for a very low probability of significant (6” or greater snowfall):

1. The current pattern. The fast flow and absence of blocking will not allow any system to stay around sufficiently long to produce a significant snowfall.

2. The most snowfall for NYC during the December 1-20 period with an EPO+, AO+, PNA- was 4.7”. One would need very strong evidence to set aside historic experience. Such evidence does not exist (see #3).

3. Aside from two GFS runs, the guidance favors a light event. Out of the 51 EPS members, just one shows 3” of snow and 3 show 1” or more. 26 show no measurable snowfall (12/5 12z run). 

The headline and article do not serve the NYC area well.

they do that for the views in my opinion. this storm has a "miss" written all over it

I think we're all going to see a little snow Wednesday, some places maybe a little more than an inch.  Probably no big deal on TREATED pavements- especially NYC and much of LI, but jury out on snowfall rates.  What follows is my opinion expressed to a FB group of friends on what seems to be coming.  I'll let this idle, hopefully for 24 hours and reconsider tomorrow morning, not wanting to pitch and roll with every model nuance. 

Good Monday morning everyone, It's Dec 6 and what follows is nothing major, but a caution from Baltimore northward to I84. Will detail a little more tomorrow.

Before what could be a rather mild period during mid-month, we've got to get there. Looks like several hours of snow Wednesday (the 8th), beginning during the morning drive time and ending by dark; Boston probably confined to between Noon-9PM. Amounts most areas generally an inch or less, but untreated surfaces will be slippery for a little while Wednesday morning. This mood snow should be a little more than what most of us have experienced this season and might require slowing down a bit. I added a graphic showing the chance of morethan 1" of snow...for now it's not a big chance (less than 30%). 

There could be a short period of ice or light snow for the I84 corridor Friday morning the 10th. Posted 607A/6

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 5.46.05 AM.png

• Like 1

Still a fairly sloppy setup, even on models which do show something.  There may be a shadow zone somewhat as the bulk of the snow depicted by most guidance outside of ERN areas is not even from the coastal.  Sometimes as you get closer that screw zone becomes more evident and bigger on models.  If anyone in the metro pulls 2 or more inches from this one its a big W though

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to OBS-NOWCAST for the Probable period of Hazardous wintry weather for a portion of the NYC sub forum centered on Wednesday Dec 8, 2021
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic