Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter

Rjay

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

no lol although it was adorable someone said hurricane haha

Good morning Liberty, pushing the credulity envelope one might think of a hurricane as a gigantic parental tornado with its children hanging from its center. You’ll have to excuse my analogy. I’m only half way through my laxative coffee. Enjoy the sun and warmth, as always ….

• Haha 2

Finally found someone worse than Joe Bastardi. This guy is hyping the last week of the month as a snow and cold pattern for Baltimore and DC. Don’t know what alternative universe he’s living in but the pattern looks awful for snow even in New England at the end of the month. This guy is a total :clown:

34 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Finally found someone worse than Joe Bastardi. This guy is hyping the last week of the month as a snow and cold pattern for Baltimore and DC. Don’t know what alternative universe he’s living in but the pattern looks awful for snow even in New England at the end of the month. This guy is a total :clown:

Hes right about the pattern turning cooler 

14 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Throwback

February 2006

20220321_095020.jpg

Good morning Anthony. Below, a picture of my area from a much older storm. The magnificent tree in the background, of your photo, looks good enough to be on the Rock Centers potential donors list. As always …..

403A32E4-AAB0-4F4B-9954-5612BC7023D5.jpeg

• Like 2

Pretty intense tornado outbreak yesterday in the Austin TX area. Not quite around where I used to live on the SW side of town, but some heavily populated areas north of town (Round Rock which wasn’t tornado warned apparently as it went across I-35) and east (Elgin). Downtown dodged a bullet thankfully, it looked hairy for a while. The Jarrell 1997 outbreak was the last really destructive one around Austin. Several other intense tornadoes hit the area besides the huge Jarrell one, which would’ve been catastrophic had it hit 30 miles south of Jarrell. That’s the first outlying town in the northern suburban Austin county (Williamson County). 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

got a video of the fire at the Pepsi plant behind my house in Piscataway, but i took it vertically and i was loudly chewing gum so i won’t post it

Good evening Will. At least according to the media no injuries were reported, as of 7:30. The screen shot of the video below had the sounds of adorable children in the background. Stay well, as always …. 

7A7F2834-D75F-4B56-BFA5-176638BB348D.png

On 3/22/2022 at 8:20 AM, jm1220 said:

Pretty intense tornado outbreak yesterday in the Austin TX area. Not quite around where I used to live on the SW side of town, but some heavily populated areas north of town (Round Rock which wasn’t tornado warned apparently as it went across I-35) and east (Elgin). Downtown dodged a bullet thankfully, it looked hairy for a while. The Jarrell 1997 outbreak was the last really destructive one around Austin. Several other intense tornadoes hit the area besides the huge Jarrell one, which would’ve been catastrophic had it hit 30 miles south of Jarrell. That’s the first outlying town in the northern suburban Austin county (Williamson County). 

I've been in the Walmart that was shown on the news many times.  I used to work right next to there (remote, but I traveled to RR). 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Insane Antarctic warmth and nobody will notice because 0-10F is still perceived to be cold. 

Only when we get ridiculous heat in the states does anyone care. And for people to really notice we'd need a Pac NW style heat dome over the northeast.

We seem to be entering a long term summer trend here in the Northeast that favors higher humidity over higher heat, at least extreme heat. The ridge over the summer is becoming steeper and centered further north over the last few summers, which results in the strongest heat overshooting this area to hit southern Canada and Maine. We have more of a southerly onshore flow that brings humidity in, not the westerly flow that drives temps up. Bluewave will have better stats but there has been a marked increase in 75 or higher dewpoint days over the last 5 summers or so. We’re becoming much more Florida like here. The downside to that has been the warming oceans that make us more susceptible to tropical systems and the tendency to have them steered toward us on the southerly flow rather than out to sea like usual. 

32 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We seem to be entering a long term summer trend here in the Northeast that favors higher humidity over higher heat, at least extreme heat. The ridge over the summer is becoming steeper and centered further north over the last few summers, which results in the strongest heat overshooting this area to hit southern Canada and Maine. We have more of a southerly onshore flow that brings humidity in, not the westerly flow that drives temps up. Bluewave will have better stats but there has been a marked increase in 75 or higher dewpoint days over the last 5 summers or so. We’re becoming much more Florida like here. The downside to that has been the warming oceans that make us more susceptible to tropical systems and the tendency to have them steered toward us on the southerly flow rather than out to sea like usual. 

I really want to monitor Antarctic temps at Vostok, Dome C and the South Pole like I used to but the two programs I used no longer work.  One used weatherunderground data but since TWC took them over and instituted their greedy crapitalistic model they charge so much for getting the data that none of my programs use them anymore-- the only one which does charges 30 dollars a month (!)  and the other one, YoWindow, no longer works because it required Flash and Adobe made that obsolete.  Is there any way to monitor those locations in a desktop program anymore and store the data in a spreadsheet?

34 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

the westerly flow is much better which is why I'm a big advocate of climate engineering, we need to get on this sooner, not later.  There is no other way to stop what's going to happen if we don't.

By the way for anyone who doesn't know-- Concordia Station is actually Dome C.

It is a most amazing place with skies as clear and stars as brilliant as what the Hubble Telescope experiences (or closest to it.)

Vostok station has the coldest temps but Dome C is not far behind.  Even colder than either is Dome A (which stands for Argus) which is at the top of the Antarctic Plateau, although it might be rivalled by Dome F (which stands for Fuji) and Ridge A.