Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter

Rjay

1 hour ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

lets shut down oil rigs and let's stop producing fuel here in the United States and preach about making the world green and in the same breath lets purchase our fuel and oil from other nations ( for 3 and 4 times the co$t ) while those nations continue to frack and drill and could care less about the carbon footprint or the environment. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but mine differs from yours brother,,,,,U N article ? nah I will pass

thats exactly why nations that continue to pollute the planet need to be punished-- harshly!  I'm fine with 100% nuclear power it's much better than anything else we have.

2 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Ok so maybe the area has been averaging out more if NYC totals have gone up in the last 20 years and I84 corridor has gone down? 

weird... I dont have info for the  I-84 corridor, which airport is your benchmark?  Maybe we can compare how the 30 year norms have changed across each region of the subforum

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The 1991-2020 average, which is the latest published averages, they update them every 30 years, is 29.8 for both central park and Laguardia. Actually Central Parks average is 29.9 when you add up all the individual months and divide, but somehow they couldn't even get that right.

The HV averages haven't gone down, I'm in Orange County and I've averaged 53.8 the last 10 years which is about 3-5 inches above the average. It's not that the interior averages have gone down, the coast is starting to lessen the gap. Of course percentage wise a 5 inch jump in average from 25 to 30 is a much bigger jump then say 45 to 50.

Will see if the trend continues. The Northeast coast is warming at such a rate I would think a reversal in the snow trends will soon have their day, at least for the coastal areas, say NJ to SE MA. unfortunately. Boston and north on the coast will probably continue to increase until even they hit a certain temperature threshold.

I think we have awhile to go before snowfall averages start going down-- ACY is still getting years where they have more snow than we do lol.  I'd say it will be 2040 at the earliest before they start going down.

WOW!     MEMORIZE 50 DIGITS.*****

I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER MY PHONE NUMBER!!         WELL, I RARELY CALL MYSELF ANYWAY.

UNFORTUNATELY, MY GIRLFRIEND CAN'T REMEMBER IT EITHER (that's the best weather news of the day)

*****But can you tell me Who Killed JFK with this and Why?????????????????????????????????????????????????and ? makes 50.     So There.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Ok so maybe the area has been averaging out more if NYC totals have gone up in the last 20 years and I84 corridor has gone down? 

Im 1 mile N of 84 and I havent noticed any decrease in average snowfall. Since 2002 I've averaged 57.1" which is about 5" higher than normal for mby

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, LibertyBell said:

thats exactly why nations that continue to pollute the planet need to be punished-- harshly!  I'm fine with 100% nuclear power it's much better than anything else we have.

Where do we store the spent nuclear waste, and how do we get it there?  Seems Right To Know would allow transportation of nuclear waste cross country an easy terrorist target?

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

Where do we store the spent nuclear waste, and how do we get it there?  Seems Right To Know would allow transportation of nuclear waste cross country an easy terrorist target?

there can be proper safeguards, and did you know coal produces more radioactive waste than fission does?

On 3/2/2022 at 6:06 PM, Dark Star said:

The volume of nuclear waste is tiny and easily managed, unlike the cubic miles of coal ash and scrubber residues, which are themselves quite unpleasant wit heavy metals that have infinite half life, they stay toxic forever.

That said, the inability of the nuclear industry to build on a reliable schedule and at a reasonable price is far more damaging to its prospects than the objections of anti nuclear activists.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, etudiant said:

The volume of nuclear waste is tiny and easily managed, unlike the cubic miles of coal ash and scrubber residues, which are themselves quite unpleasant wit heavy metals that have infinite half life, they stay toxic forever.

That said, the inability of the nuclear industry to build on a reliable schedule and at a reasonable price is far more damaging to its prospects than the objections of anti nuclear activists.

Something good I saw yesterday on the news was the high gas prices have seen a large surge in the purchase of EVs and also a high surge in buying of roof solar panels on Long Island.  It's the fastest growing market right now even with inflation it's doing really well.  And there's a large wind farm being built offshore of Coney Island by about 50 miles and the goal is to have NYC 70% powered by renewable energy by 2030.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:23 AM, LibertyBell said:

Something good I saw yesterday on the news was the high gas prices have seen a large surge in the purchase of EVs and also a high surge in buying of roof solar panels on Long Island.  It's the fastest growing market right now even with inflation it's doing really well.  And there's a large wind farm being built offshore of Coney Island by about 50 miles and the goal is to have NYC 70% powered by renewable energy by 2030.

This new battery technology may be a game changer.

• Thanks 1

Great news.  Any chance an alternative to lithium-ion batteries could be incorporated?   I have heard that in the event of a fire it has to  burn itself out.

What do.you think of hydrogen?

Honda Clarity was tested in CA. Unsure of findings. Of course that would also require an expanding network of hydrogen fueling stations.

1 hour ago, STORMANLI said:

Great news.  Any chance an alternative to lithium-ion batteries could be incorporated?   I have heard that in the event of a fire it has to  burn itself out.

What do.you think of hydrogen?

Honda Clarity was tested in CA. Unsure of findings. Of course that would also require an expanding network of hydrogen fueling stations.

They have designed this one to be safer than  the current battery technology used in EVs.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/apple-veteran-mujeeb-ijaz-wins-bill-gatess-backing-for-michigan-battery-startup/

Amid a boom in electric-vehicle production and a race for innovations that improve these new cars’ range and cost, battery startup Our Next Energy said Monday it has raised $25 million in a fresh fundraising round.

The investment in ONE, as the company is known, was led by Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures. The year-old startup, based in Novi, Michigan, says it has engineered a way to eke out higher ranges from lithium-iron-phosphate batteries, a more stable but less powerful chemistry than the nickel-based batteries used by most automakers today.

“The whole foundation of the industry right now is being built on nickel-cobalt,” said Mujeeb Ijaz, ONE’s founder and CEO. “Because range was so important to the end customer, that was seen as the only way to get there. We’re offering an alternative.”

ONE’s innovation lies in the way it designs battery packs, which it plans to build a factory in Michigan to assemble. Ijaz, a veteran of Apple’s secretive car project, said he’s landed his first customer, an EV startup that makes medium-duty delivery trucks. He declined to name the customer but said production will start in November 2022.

The growth of the electric-vehicle market has brought challenges for the industry, including a shortage of batteries and soaring prices for raw materials such as nickel and cobalt, the latter of which is fraught with ethical issues. Nickel, the metal the auto industry largely relies on today to provide power and range, is prone to fire, a risk the industry is spending billions to control. 

That’s driving automakers, battery manufacturers and startups — including ONE — to seek less costly alternatives.

ONE uses lithium-iron-phosphate, or LFP batteries, which are cheaper and less fire-prone than nickel-based chemistries. Typically, that approach would mean sacrificing power and range for stability, but the startup claims it’s solved that problem.

“We think he’s ahead of the curve,” said Libby Wayman, who leads the transportation team at Breakthrough Energy Ventures and sits on the board of ONE. “This is the beginning of a trend where people will look to alternative chemistries to achieve energy density, safety, supply-chain optionality, and supply-chain redundancy.”

Also investing in the latest round were Assembly Ventures, BMW iVentures, electronics-manufacturing company Flex, and Volta Energy Technologies. Gates is Breakthrough’s chairman and investors include Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Michael R. Bloomberg, the founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent company Bloomberg LP.

A typical battery in an electric vehicle stores a lot of energy — enough to power the average U.S. home for about 2.5 days. So it’s a formidable engineering feat to ensure these cars are safe, even as large amounts of electricity are used to charge them or propel them around town.

To mitigate fire risk, manufacturers use filler material that helps ensure the battery doesn’t heat up too much, along with electronics to ensure all the cells charge equally. ONE’s innovation has been to find ways to cut down on the filler material, which enables them to add more cells, and thus store more energy, without increasing the size and cost of the battery pack. 

Ijaz has spent three decades focusing on powering EVs. He conducted battery research at Ford and was chief technology officer at battery manufacturer A123 Systems until he was poached by Apple in 2014. He returned to Michigan last year to launch his startup and hired former colleagues from A123, saying he felt the auto industry had reached an inflection point with electrification.

EV batteries are made of cells, which are bundled into modules, and then arranged in a pack to optimize power while mitigating fire risk. ONE is using a simpler and cheaper engineering approach called “cell-to-pack,” which skips the need for modules.

ONE isn’t the first or the only company to take this approach. It was pioneered in China by players like SVOLT Energy Technology. The world’s largest battery supplier, China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology, or CATL, sells it to customers today, including Tesla. 

Ijaz says ONE’s technology outperforms what other makers have been able to accomplish so far. He pointed to an internal analysis of how much energy is stored in the battery pack per unit of volume — a crucial consideration because EVs have limited space for batteries. Higher energy density for the pack means an EV can theoretically have long driving range.

ONE’s analysis showed its packs are made up of 76% cells and yield 287 watt-hours per liter (Wh/L) of energy density. By comparison, the analysis showed the pack from a Tesla Model 3 using LFP chemistry was made of 49% cells and yielded 173 Wh/L. 

As nickel prices climb, other automakers are looking at using the cell-to-pack approach to get more power out of LFP batteries, said Jim Greenberger, executive director of NAATBatt, a non-profit trade association for advanced battery technology in North America.

“If the nickel crisis never comes, I’m not sure much will come of LFP chemistry, because it’s not as powerful,” Greenberger said in an interview. “But if nickel prices do prove volatile, or automakers don’t want to take the risk of nickel proving volatile, you may see more people using LFP technologies.”

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

if you guys could be a species of bird which one would you be

i would be a heron

Good afternoon Will. I would be an archaeopteryx. Marvelous discussion starter. I’m hoping forky replies, once he gets over the fuel consumption blues. Stay well, as always …..

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

They have designed this one to be safer than  the current battery technology used in EVs.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/apple-veteran-mujeeb-ijaz-wins-bill-gatess-backing-for-michigan-battery-startup/

Amid a boom in electric-vehicle production and a race for innovations that improve these new cars’ range and cost, battery startup Our Next Energy said Monday it has raised $25 million in a fresh fundraising round.

The investment in ONE, as the company is known, was led by Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures. The year-old startup, based in Novi, Michigan, says it has engineered a way to eke out higher ranges from lithium-iron-phosphate batteries, a more stable but less powerful chemistry than the nickel-based batteries used by most automakers today.

“The whole foundation of the industry right now is being built on nickel-cobalt,” said Mujeeb Ijaz, ONE’s founder and CEO. “Because range was so important to the end customer, that was seen as the only way to get there. We’re offering an alternative.”

ONE’s innovation lies in the way it designs battery packs, which it plans to build a factory in Michigan to assemble. Ijaz, a veteran of Apple’s secretive car project, said he’s landed his first customer, an EV startup that makes medium-duty delivery trucks. He declined to name the customer but said production will start in November 2022.

The growth of the electric-vehicle market has brought challenges for the industry, including a shortage of batteries and soaring prices for raw materials such as nickel and cobalt, the latter of which is fraught with ethical issues. Nickel, the metal the auto industry largely relies on today to provide power and range, is prone to fire, a risk the industry is spending billions to control. 

That’s driving automakers, battery manufacturers and startups — including ONE — to seek less costly alternatives.

ONE uses lithium-iron-phosphate, or LFP batteries, which are cheaper and less fire-prone than nickel-based chemistries. Typically, that approach would mean sacrificing power and range for stability, but the startup claims it’s solved that problem.

“We think he’s ahead of the curve,” said Libby Wayman, who leads the transportation team at Breakthrough Energy Ventures and sits on the board of ONE. “This is the beginning of a trend where people will look to alternative chemistries to achieve energy density, safety, supply-chain optionality, and supply-chain redundancy.”

Also investing in the latest round were Assembly Ventures, BMW iVentures, electronics-manufacturing company Flex, and Volta Energy Technologies. Gates is Breakthrough’s chairman and investors include Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Michael R. Bloomberg, the founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent company Bloomberg LP.

A typical battery in an electric vehicle stores a lot of energy — enough to power the average U.S. home for about 2.5 days. So it’s a formidable engineering feat to ensure these cars are safe, even as large amounts of electricity are used to charge them or propel them around town.

To mitigate fire risk, manufacturers use filler material that helps ensure the battery doesn’t heat up too much, along with electronics to ensure all the cells charge equally. ONE’s innovation has been to find ways to cut down on the filler material, which enables them to add more cells, and thus store more energy, without increasing the size and cost of the battery pack. 

Ijaz has spent three decades focusing on powering EVs. He conducted battery research at Ford and was chief technology officer at battery manufacturer A123 Systems until he was poached by Apple in 2014. He returned to Michigan last year to launch his startup and hired former colleagues from A123, saying he felt the auto industry had reached an inflection point with electrification.

EV batteries are made of cells, which are bundled into modules, and then arranged in a pack to optimize power while mitigating fire risk. ONE is using a simpler and cheaper engineering approach called “cell-to-pack,” which skips the need for modules.

ONE isn’t the first or the only company to take this approach. It was pioneered in China by players like SVOLT Energy Technology. The world’s largest battery supplier, China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology, or CATL, sells it to customers today, including Tesla. 

Ijaz says ONE’s technology outperforms what other makers have been able to accomplish so far. He pointed to an internal analysis of how much energy is stored in the battery pack per unit of volume — a crucial consideration because EVs have limited space for batteries. Higher energy density for the pack means an EV can theoretically have long driving range.

ONE’s analysis showed its packs are made up of 76% cells and yield 287 watt-hours per liter (Wh/L) of energy density. By comparison, the analysis showed the pack from a Tesla Model 3 using LFP chemistry was made of 49% cells and yielded 173 Wh/L. 

As nickel prices climb, other automakers are looking at using the cell-to-pack approach to get more power out of LFP batteries, said Jim Greenberger, executive director of NAATBatt, a non-profit trade association for advanced battery technology in North America.

“If the nickel crisis never comes, I’m not sure much will come of LFP chemistry, because it’s not as powerful,” Greenberger said in an interview. “But if nickel prices do prove volatile, or automakers don’t want to take the risk of nickel proving volatile, you may see more people using LFP technologies.”

excellent, I've been buying outdoor lights that use LiPO batteries, I wonder if this is similar?

On 3/3/2022 at 10:15 PM, etudiant said:

It has been the federal government's responsibility to store spent nuclear fuel, long term.  We know how the federal goverment does things.  Still, to this day, the spent waste sits at the site where it was used.  I am not anti-nuke, but there is a reason why no new nuclear facilities have been built in the US since the 1980s. 

5 hours ago, Dark Star said:

It has been the federal government's responsibility to store spent nuclear fuel, long term.  We know how the federal goverment does things.  Still, to this day, the spent waste sits at the site where it was used.  I am not anti-nuke, but there is a reason why no new nuclear facilities have been built in the US since the 1980s. 

Three mile island is the reason.  It also caused Shoreham to be decommissioned here on LI before it ever started up. Suffolk ratepayers still pay for it to this day. 

• Sad 1