• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter

Rjay

No no no. 60 degrees saturday makes me want spring even more. 

Who am i? I used to LOVE snow...not so much anymore...mostly bc i still have to work during an all out blizzard :lol:

Seriously though if a winter doesnt deliver an all out areawide 12-18+ BLIZZARD , i dont want it. Just torch us. 

I wanna see 80 in feb again dammit

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Yeah, try having to go through the NYC bottleneck to get anywhere off island.  I'll be sucking it up and doing it for the millionth time tomorrow.

This is one reason it's hard to envision living on LI, It seems like it would feel very trapped having to go through the city to get anywhere. Maybe one day theyll make a bridge connecting the North Shore to the Continent, I know thats been discussed.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Im confused about Marble Hill, it's in the bronx and has a bronx zipcode but is considered part of Manhattan? 

it seems to originally have been part of Manhattan (I mean the island not the political county/borough), but when that artificial canal was dug it became its own island.  I think the best way to put it is it's now its own island and not part of Manhattan island geographically but is still part of Manhattan politically.  The Bronx zipcode thing I don't understand-- maybe they wanted to be part of both? I wonder what its zipcode was before the canal was made.

3 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

This is one reason it's hard to envision living on LI, It seems like it would feel very trapped having to go through the city to get anywhere. Maybe one day theyll make a bridge connecting the North Shore to the Continent, I know thats been discussed.   

I would love that.  Let me tell you what my trip from the Poconos to Long Island is like.  It's 2 hours to get right to Manhattan and then another hour and a half to get from Manhattan to SW Nassau.  Go figure.

4 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

No no no. 60 degrees saturday makes me want spring even more. 

Who am i? I used to LOVE snow...not so much anymore...mostly bc i still have to work during an all out blizzard :lol:

Seriously though if a winter doesnt deliver an all out areawide 12-18+ BLIZZARD , i dont want it. Just torch us. 

I wanna see 80 in feb again dammit

yeah so we need to spray pesticides to kill all those ugly stinging bugs right lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

it's artificially separated

stupid humanity doing dumb things to interfere with nature.

Marble Hill became an island in the Harlem River when it was separated from the island of Manhattan by the construction of the Harlem Ship Canal in 1895. 

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

lol yea, but it's mostly in jest

it's a way to vent frustration at our climate.  Sort of like how I change ocean/land distribution in Universe Sandbox lol.

One time I dragged the solar system to a different part of the galaxy to see if it would trigger the next ice age.

Stuff to do when a storm busts.

Good morning Liberty, Julian. It’s early so my mind fog is clearing. As a result I’ve remembered another of ‘my fathers oft used sayings’ to my then usual annoyance, “many a true word is said in jest”. Oh, Liberty, in relation to another post regarding mail delivery; in the 1940’s two digit district #’s were activated to aid in distribution. Before that all sorting was done by hand. Enjoy the mild day. As always ….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Zip codes didn't exist until the 1960s. Come on! ;)

are you serious? I have no clue about these things, because I don't use the postal service....for anything.

I think the last time I even went to the post office was over 20 years ago.

how exactly did they deliver mail before the 1960s?

it's really unimportant minutiae no one needs to know, the USPS is an anachronism.

Instead of irrelevant trivia like when zip codes came into being this is the interesting stuff we should be talking about, I've been waiting for some awesome results from Tokamak for YEARS and now finally here we are!

controlled nuclear fusion-- here we come!

https://twitter.com/i/events/1491539482973249539

Sadly still short of the mark, energy output half of input.

That said, there is steady progress and we are getting closer.

The emergence of a number of well funded private efforts is perhaps another indicator that we are getting closer.

The main problem though is that the device has to be cheap enough to build, else the interest expenses will swamp the low power production costs.

Most of the designs to date ignore that problem.

Instead of irrelevant trivia like when zip codes came into being this is the interesting stuff we should be talking about, I've been waiting for some awesome results from Tokamak for YEARS and now finally here we are!

controlled nuclear fusion-- here we come!

https://twitter.com/i/events/1491539482973249539

I saw this. Really good news that’s being underreported.

(Also reconfirming my personal belief and bias that technology, market innovation, and positive actions (like tree planting) will help lead us to a more stable climate, rather than forcing lifestyle changes on an unwilling populace)

11 hours ago, North and West said:

I saw this. Really good news that’s being underreported.

(Also reconfirming my personal belief and bias that technology, market innovation, and positive actions (like tree planting) will help lead us to a more stable climate, rather than forcing lifestyle changes on an unwilling populace)

It does make me wonder why aren't we conducting this research in the US too-- or are we and it just isn't being talked about?

• Like 1