Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter

Rjay

On 12/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, Will - Rutgers said:

i just realized i am the antimatter to walter drag

walter is a fastidious professional who has dedicated his life to science and civil service, and continues his contributions in retirement, on this forum, out of a love for weather

i have been here seven years and cannot read a hodograph

Good morning Will. “Hodograph” that sounds exciting if a bit risk at. I might try but at this stage I’m probably better off not being able to. As always …..

22 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Go a little north of Oswego itself. 

Good morning Irish. S19 made an interesting post on the existence of Solar Seasons. That added to Solstice and Meteorological. I decided to look further and found their are several more. One, as seen below, is just for you. Stay well, stay warm, as always ….

A7C78EE7-4469-4212-8A16-35854CE4C62B.png

53 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I would love to live there

Imagine tracking snow every week

Omg

20 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Every week? Constantly ;) Lowville is the county seat, last time I was up there they had signs advertising for LEO's for the town, county and at the jail. The peak snowfall areas for the east coast surround that town. You should look into it.

The economy in the Tug region is rough. Just a heads up. I lived there for a year and lost my job because profit was too low. Also, Lowville itself gets the shaft quite often. Elevation is key.

The economy in the Tug region is rough. Just a heads up. I lived there for a year and lost my job because profit was too low. Also, Lowville itself gets the shaft quite often. Elevation is key.

As much as we love weather, you have to think about where you live and if there’s 1. Economic opportunities; 2. Medical facilities if you and your wife have children.

There’s nothing more stressful than having to take a child to the ER at night. We had to on the evening of the February 13, 2014 storm. That was awful. (He was luckily just fine!) Thankfully, we live fewer than two miles from Morristown Memorial.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning Irish. S19 made an interesting post on the existence of Solar Seasons. That added to Solstice and Meteorological. I decided to look further and found their are several more. One, as seen below, is just for you. Stay well, stay warm, as always ….

A7C78EE7-4469-4212-8A16-35854CE4C62B.png

Good morning Rich, nice find. I guess it was the spring sun angle that melted enough of the ice on the cars that I could finally open the doors again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, North and West said:

As much as we love weather, you have to think about where you live and if there’s 1. Economic opportunities; 2. Medical facilities if you and your wife have children.

There’s nothing more stressful than having to take a child to the ER at night. We had to on the evening of the February 13, 2014 storm. That was awful. (He was luckily just fine!) Thankfully, we live fewer than two miles from Morristown Memorial.

Great point. Lowville does have medical facilities. One can always live closer to Rome or Watertown as well, but live far enough out to get plenty of snow. My wife hated living in the Tug region because of how long it took to get anywhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

For Ant there's an opportunity that many of us don't have,the steady income an LEO pulls in takes away so many of the issues that many folks face in places like that. IMO one of the best ways to live in a high snow zone is to live in the low snow area for the zone saving you some of the effort that goes into living in high snow areas but giving you access to the goods. I totally agree that it's pretty far out of the way though but there is medical care, businesses that have much (some?) of what you need, the schools are actually pretty good considering the remoteness and from the folks I know that live there and have steady incomes they sure do seem to like it. I also agree that the economy pretty much sucks up there so go into it knowing that if your good gig falls apart you may have to leave (like you did Matt).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, North and West said:

I remember going to that hospital in 1996 after a car accident on I-80 (I wasn't the driver in case that matters.)  Really nice people there.  Haven't been there since, I wonder if the same people still work there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

^^ Ditto. I took one met class and barely passed. The prof told me I had all sorts of potential and was the best map reader and creator he had for years but the fact that I got every math question wrong all semester pretty much meant that I should find another profession.

I love math but was told it really wasn't that important anymore because those kinds of robotic calculations can just be done by computer now.  It really isn't a sign of intelligence so don't lose any sleep over it, it just involves doing the same repetitive stuff over and over again (which is why you dont see that kind of question on intelligence tests.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gravitylover said:

37 years ago that wasn't the way it was taught. Nassau Community College didn't even have computers the students could use. You would do your calculations on paper, type it into a card punch machine then feed the formula into a reader and it would print out (slowly) on a map blank in a dot matrix printer.

wow I remember that's what we did in high school back in the late 80s

ah those dot matrix printers lol they were LOUD

I got my first computer set up with the DMP included for 1300 back in December 1987

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maureen said:

The banter thread is more useful than the monthly at this point. Not to mention more entertaining and far less irritating. 

I agree with this  - think about it  ! The other thing - I am confused who is allowed these days to start a storm thread ?

• Like 1