• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter

Rjay

The BOS radar just pisses me off. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that. Never in the right place at the right time. No risk of rain or taint, no risk the band just passes through, and hour after hour of cold powdery dentrite dumpage during daytime on a weekend!!

I haven't experienced even moderate intensity of snowfall at any moment during daytime this winter.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

The BOS radar just pisses me off. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that. Never in the right place at the right time. No risk of rain or taint, no risk the band just passes through, and hour after hour of cold powdery dentrite dumpage during daytime on a weekend!!

I haven't experienced even moderate intensity of snowfall at any moment during daytime this winter.

Be patient young Jedi.  

• Sad 1

51f8184dbd1450da91ead7d7af48af80.jpg

• Haha 2

Young guy with a truck and a snow thrower just snorkled up and knocked on the front door.  I told him that I had the snow removal covered.  He said "you're going to do it?" I said yes.  Then he said "Your driveway just ate me".  I almost changed my mind. :)

We'll see how it goes. There will be libations afterwards.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Young guy with a truck and a snow thrower just snorkled up and knocked on the front door.  I told him that I had the snow removal covered.  He said "you're going to do it?" I said yes.  Then he said "Your driveway just ate me".  I almost changed my mind. :)

We'll see how it goes. There will be libations afterwards.

For you, for him or for both, Ed?

3 hours ago, eduggs said:

I guess you weren't in Morris County for Jan 2016

From Allentown to Morristown to JFK to Oceanside we were all 30 plus inches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I guess you weren't in Morris County for Jan 2016

From Allentown to Morristown to JFK to Oceanside we were all 30 plus inches.

I was not. That must have been incredible. I've maxed out around 20" while living in several places dating back to the 90s.

• Like 1

“…it seems such a discordantly humdrum interest for a human being of such otherworldly talent. Mike Trout: A generational athlete who also happens to geek out over online interactions with meteorologists.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/mike-trout-gave-a-mlb-lockout-update-on-the-weather-channel-after-giving-his-own-personal-weather-report

• Like 2

2 hours ago, North and West said:

“…it seems such a discordantly humdrum interest for a human being of such otherworldly talent. Mike Trout: A generational athlete who also happens to geek out over online interactions with meteorologists.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/mike-trout-gave-a-mlb-lockout-update-on-the-weather-channel-after-giving-his-own-personal-weather-report

I saw that live.  I thought it was awesome how he broke down water equivalence and compared the consistency of snow with temps in the teens to regular Jersey coast snow with temps in the low 30s.

• Like 1

This is a reminder to the several NYC forum members who participate, to submit February forecasts and an invitation to others to join the party. (it's in the general weather forum).

I thought with the combination of the storm and the big football games today, it might not be top of mind. Have a great rest of your weekend blah blah. 

What's with all of the banter on the non-banter threads?  The last storm had 160+ pages of comments of which maybe 30 wasn't the, "knew it wouldn't jackpot over my house," variety.  Or the infamous, "You said it would go east and it went west."

Here's a request for the moderators to start moderating again.  We all don't care for all of the opinionated posts.  Discuss the models and leave it at that.  Use the banter thread for your uninteresting conjecture and the memory lane thread for your uninteresting memories.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, stu said:

What's with all of the banter on the non-banter threads?  The last storm had 160+ pages of comments of which maybe 30 wasn't the, "knew it wouldn't jackpot over my house," variety.  Or the infamous, "You said it would go east and it went west."

Here's a request for the moderators to start moderating again.  We all don't care for all of the opinionated posts.  Discuss the models and leave it at that.  Use the banter thread for your uninteresting conjecture and the memory lane thread for your uninteresting memories.

Thanks.

Or maybe the moderators have jobs and lives and we should probably expect adults to act like adults instead.

• Like 13

Thanks.

My memories are delightfully whimsical.

• Like 1

What's with the trend lately of posters who want to speak to the manager after the dust settles after a storm?

- Last week a suggestion was made that there shouldn't be threads created for [checks notes] potential upcoming winter weather too far in advance [whatever that means], basically because it creates sadness if doesn't come true.   Not to mention that when those threads were created they are invariably accompanied by great analysis which I'm sure must take hours and hours to prepare.  How about we all be a-ok with experts providing such analysis and creating such threads whenever they please, and the rest of us can choose whether or not to read it?

- Now we have a suggestion that the moderators work harder so that the rest of don't have to scroll over some replies once in awhile that they don't like.  How about we leave it to the moderators - since they're the ones doing the work - to decide when something is out of bounds, and handle it as they see fit?  And if there's too much east/west talk for one's liking, one can always close the browser for a few hours, and check back later.

2 hours ago, stu said:

Thanks.

Good evening Stu. Your concern is understandable and I would not   question the validity of the points your making. I enjoy reading the geographic sub forums and find that each one seems to have a unique personality. The knowledge demonstrated by the red tags, well versed hobbyists and regular members inspires and amazes me. The 160 page thread, like the storm, was epic. To see so many, at least to me, new screen names and avatars taking part was enjoyable. Was their banter in the thread? Sure there was. Was I also guilty? Absolutely. Are the Moderators in control? Yes, continually. The moderators post, contribute and when necessary guide the product. In this forum, as in others, the Moderators are skilled in knowing when to tighten or loosen the control. Memories may be uninteresting but for some of us it’s all we have to share. There is a stand alone memory thread but sometimes a memory is an appropriate/good  response in any thread. Thank you for voicing your concerns and also for listening. As always …

• Like 4

Thanks @rclab.

I agree.  I tend to look at the number of posts by an author before I decide to even read the post.  My goal was not to criticize the mods nor punish the newbies.  It was simply advice to improve, what in my opinion, is still a very useful service that these forums provide.  Shame some people see advice as criticism and consider any critique as a personal attack.  Those who know me, know not only do I avoid participating in sophomoric tit-for-tat, but I've also matured to wear I've even learned to love my enemies.  Thanks for listening.

Going forward, I'll share my stories of building incredible snow forts in 77, that lasted weeks, or bobsled tracks for sledding in 95 as snow was being dumped from dump trucks into the Hudson for there was no other place to put it. :P  Heck, I remember PATH offering anyone $10 an hour to shovel their surface tracks.

Just kidding.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stu said:

Thanks @rclab.

I agree.  I tend to look at the number of posts by an author before I decide to even read the post.  My goal was not to criticize the mods nor punish the newbies.  It was simply advice to improve, what in my opinion, is still a very useful service that these forums provide.  Shame some people see advice as criticism and consider any critique as a personal attack.  Those who know me, know not only do I avoid participating in sophomoric tit-for-tat, but I've also matured to wear I've even learned to love my enemies.  Thanks for listening.

Going forward, I'll share my stories of building incredible snow forts in 77, that lasted weeks, or bobsled tracks for sledding in 95 as snow was being dumped from dump trucks into the Hudson for there was no other place to put it. :P  Heck, I remember PATH offering anyone $10 an hour to shovel their surface tracks.

Just kidding.

I remember the same and enjoy hearing the tales of all who lived through it.  I delivered two inner city mail routes in the 78 storm/blizzard. Stu in my 8th decade memory seems to become currency. Perhaps a little frugality is in order. Thank you for your response. Please stay well, safe and warm. As always ….