Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter

Rjay

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

1993-94 was a good to very good winter here but I would’ve been infuriated at those warmups and how much better the winter was snow wise just north of here. I didn’t really get into weather until the 95-96 winter which will probably be the most epic of my life if I stay here in the NYC area. 

But it was much worse not too far to the south. Philly had half nyc's snowfall and DC had very little. I was fortunate to be in state college for most of it and got over 110"

29 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

1993-94 was a good to very good winter here but I would’ve been infuriated at those warmups and how much better the winter was snow wise just north of here. I didn’t really get into weather until the 95-96 winter which will probably be the most epic of my life if I stay here in the NYC area. 

In 93-94 I lived in Babylon and was commuting to Port Washington.  It was frustrating seeing the difference every day.  My oldest was born that January and on the day we brought him home from the hospital, there was 3" of snow in Manhasset and it rained at home.  February made up for it a little, but so much sleet.

95-96 was my first winter here and I've never looked back, although haven't come within 2 feet of that winter's 95"

48 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The 2/13/14 storm is the 2nd most infuriating winter storm for me. 7-ish sloppy inches in Long Beach where I lived at the time, 13” north of Sunrise Highway. The meat of the storm came in, insanely heavy snow for about an hour, then the rain snow line set up just north of the bay for hours while it kept dumping over NYC and north of Sunrise Highway, maybe even Merrick Road. That really sucked. 

Feb 2011 was another situation where the North Shore held onto a tremendous snowpack while a few degrees here and there chopped Long Beach’s snowpack down big time. The 10-11 final snow amounts weren’t too dissimilar in the NYC metro area but there was the Feb 1-2 storm and one other that had a coastal front which spiked the south shore up but didn’t make it to the north shore. North Shore might’ve made it to 33 briefly, I hit 40 in Long Beach and with the humid air/rain, destroyed the snowpack. 

Long Beach is a great place for many reasons, snow is NOT one of them. Except for on 1/25/16, 30” there and I was living in Texas. My first of all time most infuriating winter storm. 

February 1, 2011 was a big disappointment, but it did overall add to the snowpack.  We had an inch of snow and a bunch of freezing rain and I think some plain rain but when it was over, there was a lot of ice to scrape off the driveway and the SWE of the snowpack had increased.  My records show a high temp of 33° on the 1st and 36° on the 2nd.  Snow depth on Feb 1 was 22", but decreased to 21" on Feb 2.

As for 2/13/14.  If I'd endured that on the south shore it would have been the impetus to move.  Great storm up here!  There was more going on that day though.  Later in the storm we had freezing rain while there was plain rain in Orange County.  Some posters there didn't believe it, but it was what it was.  Never figured out what magic that was because it was only the north shore in the western half of Suffolk, but the net effect was sweet. 

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I remember our local news talking about all the snow Boston had that year.  Could you imagine if this forum was around back then lol.  I didn't even have internet until 2000.

So basically you could compare 1993-94 to 2014-15 but in an opposite way....in the first case we had borderline storms here and more snow north of us, in the second case we were plenty cold enough (January onwards), but the storms were stronger north and east of us.  I'd actually rather have 2014-15 over 1993-94.

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

February 1, 2011 was a big disappointment, but it did overall add to the snowpack.  We had an inch of snow and a bunch of freezing rain and I think some plain rain but when it was over, there was a lot of ice to scrape off the driveway and the SWE of the snowpack had increased.  My records show a high temp of 33° on the 1st and 36° on the 2nd.  Snow depth on Feb 1 was 22", but decreased to 21" on Feb 2.

As for 2/13/14.  If I'd endured that on the south shore it would have been the impetus to move.  Great storm up here!  There was more going on that day though.  Later in the storm we had freezing rain while there was plain rain in Orange County.  Some posters there didn't believe it, but it was what it was.  Never figured out what magic that was because it was only the north shore in the western half of Suffolk, but the net effect was sweet. 

Because of that storm alone I'd pick 2014-15 as the better winter over 2013-14.

That area where you live is near the snow capital of Long Island.  Based on data from your site as well as local reports, maybe just east of there and closer to Mt Sinai?

3 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

In 93-94 I lived in Babylon and was commuting to Port Washington.  It was frustrating seeing the difference every day.  My oldest was born that January and on the day we brought him home from the hospital, there was 3" of snow in Manhasset and it rained at home.  February made up for it a little, but so much sleet.

95-96 was my first winter here and I've never looked back, although haven't come within 2 feet of that winter's 95"

We still had close to 50" of snow on the south shore here near JFK....I think it was less further east.  All the ice storms made up for some lower snowfall totals.

We had close to 85 inches in 1995-96....JFK low snowfall tally is highly suspect.

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

The 2/13/14 storm is the 2nd most infuriating winter storm for me. 7-ish sloppy inches in Long Beach where I lived at the time, 13” north of Sunrise Highway. The meat of the storm came in, insanely heavy snow for about an hour, then the rain snow line set up just north of the bay for hours while it kept dumping over NYC and north of Sunrise Highway, maybe even Merrick Road. That really sucked. 

Feb 2011 was another situation where the North Shore held onto a tremendous snowpack while a few degrees here and there chopped Long Beach’s snowpack down big time. The 10-11 final snow amounts weren’t too dissimilar in the NYC metro area but there was the Feb 1-2 storm and one other that had a coastal front which spiked the south shore up but didn’t make it to the north shore. North Shore might’ve made it to 33 briefly, I hit 40 in Long Beach and with the humid air/rain, destroyed the snowpack. 

Long Beach is a great place for many reasons, snow is NOT one of them. Except for on 1/25/16, 30” there and I was living in Texas. My first of all time most infuriating winter storm. 

Yeah you really missed the one you should've been here for lol.

The south shore always gets its biggest snowstorms in strong el ninos.....it's just how it is.

Feb 1983, PD 2, Jan 2016...... need I say more?

5 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I remember that freezing rain you had, wild stuff. 

• Like 1

EURO goes south ( again) for the weekend and has little white stuff at any point in its (realistic) time frame for us.    So it went from being w. to overhead to e. of us.

SNOW IS WHAT YOU THOUGHT YOU SAW...........QUOTE THE RAVEN---NEVERMORE!

• Haha 2

This winter sucks 

it’s been cold and our usually snowiest month is February. For what it’s worth, this is exactly the kind of winter we had around here when I was a kid: cold, small events, snow to rain.

We just had a major storm last February, and it doesn’t happen every year.

Now I sound like my dad to my younger self over thirty years ago.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, North and West said:

emoji848.png it’s been cold and our usually snowiest month is February. For what it’s worth, this is exactly the kind of winter we had around here when I was a kid: cold, small events, snow to rain.

We just had a major storm last February, and it doesn’t happen every year.

Now I sound like my dad to my younger self over thirty years ago.

Did ACY get bigger snowstorms than us back then?  I think so if we're talking about 1988-89 and 1990-91