• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter

Rjay

I still can't believe that this low is going way inland from starting off way down south. Classic coastal look.
And to think we will all be in the single digits tomorrow morning.

Not sure how old you are, but this was my childhood, and I never believed my dad when he said he used to have snowstorms in the 1960s.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, North and West said:

Not sure how old you are, but this was my childhood, and I never believed my dad when he said he used to have snowstorms in the 1960s.

I'm 33 and this is how storms use to be but it's a kick in the nuts because the amount of cold before the storm.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I'm 33 and this is how storms use to be but it's a kick in the nuts because the amount of cold before the storm.

Anthony, I thought you were in your mid twenties. I also remember an early, I believe, 70’s holiday storm ( before you were born ) that started as snow with extremely cold temperatures flipped during the night and less than 12 to 24 hours later we were eclipsing 50. Unc or Don could pin down the event if my between the ears vacancies haven’t imagined it, as always ….

3 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Heh, this is probably going to have an effect eventually. Most powerful stratospheric volcanic eruption in quite some time. 

The strength and potential impact of an eruption is estimated using a volcanic explosivity index, or V.E.I., which takes into account the volume of material ejected during the eruption and how high the plume reaches. The V.E.I. of the eruption Saturday has not been estimated yet, but before the eruption, the volcano was estimated to be able to produce an eruption with a maximum V.E.I. of 2.

8 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

The strength and potential impact of an eruption is estimated using a volcanic explosivity index, or V.E.I., which takes into account the volume of material ejected during the eruption and how high the plume reaches. The V.E.I. of the eruption Saturday has not been estimated yet, but before the eruption, the volcano was estimated to be able to produce an eruption with a maximum V.E.I. of 2.

Interesting. I really don't know too much about these things. I definitely want to look into this a little deeper. 

11 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Ok, seems to be an unknown for the time being. However, something higher than vei 2 cannot be ruled out. It's all speculation for now. Something interesting to monitor for sure. Good thread here. 

from what i read  vei explosion of 6 are needed to have substantial cooling of climate

1 minute ago, nycwinter said:

from what i read  vei explosion of 6 are needed to have substantial cooling of climate

You're probably right. I'm not familiar with these things. I want to try to dig into some research on it sometime soon. Just to have a better understanding myself. It's interesting. I wasn't thinking of specific effects. I just imagine there could be some sort of effects from this. 

13 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Was just about to post about the Tonga eruption. One link I found (I have no idea how to post) caught audio from Fiji. Sounds incredible; no doubt scary for the islanders. 
Tsunami warnings up, photos of flooding into the Fijian capital already. Just an awesome display of nature’s power. 

It's really impressive. I mean, the pressure wave from the blast is being recorded all over the place. Some flooding is hitting the west coast too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

The scientists on Twitter who study this stuff are really buzzing about it. So that grabs my attention for sure. Sure looks like a very impressive event. 

Think that getting a large eruption caught in the act by a very capable satellite is what these scientists dream about..

That said, Krakatoa was much more devastating, perhaps because it was in a more settled space. But also the shock wave was recorded sweeping the earth repeatedly, so a much larger amplitude event.

• Like 2

Think that getting a large eruption caught in the act by a very capable satellite is what these scientists dream about..
That said, Krakatoa was much more devastating, perhaps because it was in a more settled space. But also the shock wave was recorded sweeping the earth repeatedly, so a much larger amplitude event.

Good to know, thank you.

47 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Agree. I'm really curious to see what the findings are with this after further investigation. 

4 hours ago, etudiant said:

Krakatoa was a big eruption but if you want  a large climate displacement you want something on the scale of Tambora.

15 hours ago, MJO812 said:

This is much more typical because we have an ocean to our east.

Do you remember 1993-94?  Before we had those February snows, we had a storm in late January that came the night after a morning low of 0 (the second zero or subzero arctic outbreak that month, which is exceptional).  Anyway by midnight the temp was already 32.....so we had a high of 32 after a low of 0 that morning lol.  Then we got blasted by a SE gale and temps reached 55 the next day..... so we went from 0 to 32 in 18 hours and from 0 to 55 in 30 hours lol.

It's just how this region is, you really need to thread the needle to get a snowstorm here, regardless of how cold it is before the storm.

• Like 2

This is much more typical because we have an ocean to our east.
Do you remember 1993-94?  Before we had those February snows, we had a storm in late January that came the night after a morning low of 0 (the second zero or subzero arctic outbreak that month, which is exceptional).  Anyway by midnight the temp was already 32.....so we had a high of 32 after a low of 0 that morning lol.  Then we got blasted by a SE gale and temps reached 55 the next day..... so we went from 0 to 32 in 18 hours and from 0 to 55 in 30 hours lol.
It's just how this region is, you really need to thread the needle to get a snowstorm here, regardless of how cold it is before the storm.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Number geek that I am, I thought it was amusing that the low was 0 F and the high was 0 C lol.  That might be the first time we've ever had that happen here.

1993-94 was a good to very good winter here but I would’ve been infuriated at those warmups and how much better the winter was snow wise just north of here. I didn’t really get into weather until the 95-96 winter which will probably be the most epic of my life if I stay here in the NYC area. 

• Like 1

The 2/13/14 storm is the 2nd most infuriating winter storm for me. 7-ish sloppy inches in Long Beach where I lived at the time, 13” north of Sunrise Highway. The meat of the storm came in, insanely heavy snow for about an hour, then the rain snow line set up just north of the bay for hours while it kept dumping over NYC and north of Sunrise Highway, maybe even Merrick Road. That really sucked. 

Feb 2011 was another situation where the North Shore held onto a tremendous snowpack while a few degrees here and there chopped Long Beach’s snowpack down big time. The 10-11 final snow amounts weren’t too dissimilar in the NYC metro area but there was the Feb 1-2 storm and one other that had a coastal front which spiked the south shore up but didn’t make it to the north shore. North Shore might’ve made it to 33 briefly, I hit 40 in Long Beach and with the humid air/rain, destroyed the snowpack. 

Long Beach is a great place for many reasons, snow is NOT one of them. Except for on 1/25/16, 30” there and I was living in Texas. My first of all time most infuriating winter storm. 

• Sad 1