Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter

Rjay

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

I actually hate tracking storms. Would rather it just snow and not have to track. Waste of time. 

That’s what is was like in the 70s and 80s. Even some of our best snowstorms weren’t forecast the day before. NWP has come a long  way since then. I give the NWS plenty of credit for doing their best with the early technology that they had at the time. The Alden Difax model charts were really crude compared to what we have now. 

I can still remember the familiar NWS voices on NOAA Weather Radio. Took a trip I to to the NWS at 30 Rock back in the 1980s. The weather radar room looked like something out of a 50s sci-fi movie. Outside the room was a big wall full of weather maps. There was a telephone booth-like spot to make the weather radio recordings.

Those were the days when the Central Park observations were very high quality. There were no trees blocking the sensors. I believe the NWS staff would walk directly over to the Park for the snowfall measurements. But that all charged when they moved the office out to OKX in the 1990s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

That’s what is was like in the 70s and 80s. Even some of our best snowstorms weren’t forecast the day before. NWP has come a long  way since then. I give the NWS plenty of credit for doing their best with the early technology that they had at the time. The Alden Difax model charts were really crude compared to what we have now. 

I can still remember the familiar NWS voices on NOAA Weather Radio. Took a trip I to to the NWS at 30 Rock back in the 1980s. The weather radar room looked like something out of a 50s sci-fi movie. Outside the room was a big wall full of weather maps. There was a telephone booth-like spot to make the weather radio recordings.

Those were the days when the Central Park observations were very high quality. There were no trees blocking the sensors. I believe the NWS staff would walk directly over to the Park for the snowfall measurements. But that all charged when they moved the office out to OKX in the 1990s.

there were way less snowstorms back then....think about how few double digit snowstorms we had.....two in 1978 and that was it for the 70s and two in the 80s and that was it for that decade.

8 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Look what I'm watching on YouTube lol.

20211211_225356.jpg

28 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

dude there's so much good music to be had on there and this is what you've been watching on a Saturday night?

Good morning Liberty. My dad would drive my young self nuts by turning a moralistic phrase every ( it seemed to me ) chance he could. One that does stick with me is; ‘of taste there can be no dispute’. In regards to the “dude” (good morning Anthony) I really don’t see a problem. As always …..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

there were way less snowstorms back then....think about how few double digit snowstorms we had.....two in 1978 and that was it for the 70s and two in the 80s and that was it for that decade.

That’s what made it so easy to remember the individual storms. We had the surprise 15” on 1-20-78 that was forecast to be a rainstorm. The Feb 78 blizzard followed a few weeks later. The next  season featured the PD1 storm. April 82 had our greatest very late season blizzard on record. It was followed up by the Feb 83 snowstorm. Next memorable event was the surprise 1-23-87 snow that was also supposed to be rain. Central Long Island got a surprise narrowly focused norlun band that left areas just east and west with nothing in Dec 88. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, Rjay said:

Forum has had a weird vibe lately.  Almost seems political. 

I used to hate when mom and dad would fight. Now I realize in the short term it was necessary for them to fight because they eventually realized they were actually more on the same page than they had initially thought.

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

I used to hate when mom and dad would fight. Now I realize in the short term it was necessary for them to fight because they eventually realized they were actually more on the same page than they had initially thought.

Problem with that here is some people arent even reading the same damn book, let alone being on the same page.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bluewave said:

That’s what made it so easy to remember the individual storms. We had the surprise 15” on 1-20-78 that was forecast to be a rainstorm. The Feb 78 blizzard followed a few weeks later. The next  season featured the PD1 storm. April 82 had our greatest very late season blizzard on record. It was followed up by the Feb 83 snowstorm. Next memorable event was the surprise 1-23-87 snow that was also supposed to be rain. Central Long Island got a surprise narrowly focused norlun band that left areas just east and west with nothing in Dec 88. 

Why are these things so rare now?  I remember so many oddballs from the 80s and early 90s like the norlun you mentioned as well as early 90s stalling clippers that dropped snow for 30 hours....why do these not happen anymore?

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Problem with that here is some people arent even reading the same damn book, let alone being on the same page.

Yeah I get that. I just think, besides the few who incessantly argue in one direction, most here are actually in closer agreement. 

The pattern is shitty now but has the ability to get better in the long term. At the very least that is a possibility. We’re too far out to know if that happens. 

• Like 1

All I know is that we're at least talking possibilities, where just a few days ago there seemed to be general consensus that we were gettin nuttin' for Christmas (or New Years ((or MLK (or PD.))))  Like every good Jet fan, I just want a slightly-greater-than-mathematical chance at some fun around Christmas.  It looks like that is now possible.  No, not for the Jets, of course not, don't be ridiculous - right now that's like asking for a sharknado in January.  I mean just for somewhat winterlike weather.