Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

image.jpeg.1a929f0dbca7fbbed81863535836cebd.jpeg

so the above picture is of a holly type shrub. Is that going to make it? Deer got at it 

image.jpeg.c27a3a1ba5f6665e9aa209bea0e9a697.jpeg

another holly that the deer got at a bit. Why is the top turning a yellowish color? You can see a bit further down on the left. The rest of it looks fine.

image.jpeg.f0cee057289381006985f0ff1532ef29.jpeg

and finally, this is like a Rhododendron type plant that flowers in the spring. Once again, deer got at it. There are still some leaves, but it looks pretty crappy. Is that a goner?

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

and finally, this is like a Rhododendron type plant that flowers in the spring. Once again, deer got at it. There are still some leaves, but it looks pretty crappy. Is that a goner?

A fertilizer spike and a protective covering would go a long way to save your Rhododendron.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

so the above picture is of a holly type shrub. Is that going to make it? Deer got at it 

another holly that the deer got at a bit. Why is the top turning a yellowish color? You can see a bit further down on the left. The rest of it looks fine.

The middle one looks more like a boxwood to me. They're more native to the MA and sometimes sustain a bit of damage over the winter.  You can trim the yellow bits and it should be fine.

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, fertilize, the deer do a number on my shrubs too but a little fertilizer goes a long way.

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

A fertilizer spike and a protective covering would go a long way to save your Rhododendron.

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

The middle one looks more like a boxwood to me. They're more native to the MA and sometimes sustain a bit of damage over the winter.  You can trim the yellow bits and it should be fine.

14 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Yeah, fertilize, the deer do a number on my shrubs too but a little fertilizer goes a long way.

Thanks, I’ll get some spikes and spike them all, I usually do that every year, but I’ll do it a bit earlier now.

And Hoth, you’re right, it is a boxwood. That’s my mistake 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I use a product called Wilt Proof on my Rhody's and boxwood every November, any of my evergreens that keep their leaves over the winter.....spray it on the leaves during the late fall and it helps keep them from the freeze-thaw-freeze and winds that tax them over the winter....I never get leaf damage over the winter on Rhody's or boxwood

Thanks, I’ll get some spikes and spike them all, I usually do that every year, but I’ll do it a bit earlier now.

And Hoth, you’re right, it is a boxwood. That’s my mistake