Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

17 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I have the feeling you are one of those guys full of energy at 6:00 AM who drives everyone nuts but then by 2:30 you are gassed and checked out at work.

I hate dealing with those guys. They get to work at 6, sit around doing nothing until 9 because no one else is there or responding to emails, and then they hit lunch at 10:30 right as the rest of the team is getting rolling. Then after lunch they refuse to start anything new because they are headed home at 2:30. Rinse and repeat the next day. Yup, seen that many times.

So I guess I'm a douche about this particular subject matter because I've often fantasized that there should be a non-premises rule, restricting aberrant early access.  That also would capture for Remote access, too.  IT's can shut down VPN access based on a mouse click, and/or give it to selected IPs if in the case of emergencies...etc..    

If someone wants to get up at 4:45 am that's fine.  That's their business and life.  But you work a full day between 9 and 5, just like everyone else, in a fairer distribution of competition. 

The reason work days get edged increasingly early over time is because of the unfair lead-in of the early advantageous.  That's what starts the pull... But that is also causing stress to the majority ..as they have lives and often enough, valid reasons to not show up to work in the middle of the f'ing night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Why not immediately? Do we really need to prepare a year in advance for such stupidity. I'm glad the govt is looking out for us though

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Kind of like preparing to take masks off from covid.  Just make the announcement, and let them fly.  No need for the 2 week build up.   Same thing with this. There really isn't much prep work that has to happen to NOT change the clock back. 

• Like 1

Towards the tropics the yearly change of sunshine is much less than as you move poleward.  I don't want this to get political but it is interesting that Mark Rubio of Florida spearheaded this effort but back then the Governor of Florida asked Congress to repeal it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/15/the-us-tried-permanent-daylight-saving-time-in-the-70s-people-hated-it/#:~:text=Congress had voted on December,was enacted to save fuel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dryslot said:

I still think it would come down to the individual states to adopt or not if the feds pass it.

That could result in a very confusing mosaic of differing time zones.  One silly example:  My younger brother has a main residence in FL near Canaveral and a 2nd home in AL.  If those 2 states choose differently, Eastern FL might be on EDT while AL is 2 hr later on CST.  Or maybe I've got the choices reversed and both the homes are on the same time, as EST = CDT.

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I love when it gets dark early around the holidays. Hopefully this gets hung up. Would also means models will always be an hour later, which would suck.

I do like the dark at 4:30ish for the few weeks.   I'm not a big fan of it being dark in the mornings as much though   Not sure why.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I love when it gets dark early around the holidays. Hopefully this gets hung up. Would also means models will always be an hour later, which would suck.

Yeah... this is my only peeve about it.  I don't really give a ratz azz what happens otherwise with daylight in the winter, because it's not like I'm outside for any reason other than dashing between doors.  

There are supposed insurmountable issues to society but I find those arguments to be more <_< if not evasive, really just being cow-tied to convention and/or personal wants, masquerading as hardships.  If this were 1970s ... perhaps, but techno-cultural relativity gives something back to the other side of the debate. In this modernity there are ways and means to make it feasible. 

36 minutes ago, Yankees29 said:

FWIW in the far western portions of each time zone sunrise would be around 8:00 AM - e.g. Detroit

There's no one-size-fits-all answer ...  You didn't ask me - just sayn'

You satisfy the east ends, the west get left in the dark(light) and vice versa ...  and back and forth we go. 

If you wanna dig into philosophy of it, this contention only happened when humanity gained the ability to communicate in real time across long longitudinal distance ...  Prior to that, this was never an issue anywhere.  It's one in a many subtle examples of how our evolution has out paced the planetary system - now THAT is one helluva a mutation, huh  -

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agree. Nothing better than dusk setting in by 3:45-4:00 with Xmas lights and snowpack . I highly doubt the House passes this nonsense 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Apparently former TV met Mish Michaels died recently at age 53.  I saw her recently on tv (can’t recall what she was on for). Smart lady.  She had some interesting opinions about things.  
too young

That’s terrible. I remember her on WHDH with Todd Gross, then WBZ, and finally TWC.