Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m a morning person. I’m up at 530am for work. I’m up at 6am on the weekends regardless. It’s healthier for your circadian rhythm to be waking up with the light and going to bed with the dark. That’s one thing Kevin definitely gets correct. I like changing the clocks to adjust for the changing daylight. It’s 1 freaking hour twice per year. How hard is it to adjust? Most people don’t go to bed the same time every night anyway. 

Did you mean to say .. One of many? I’ve never been able to understand the people that stay up  all hours.. knowing they have be up at 4:30-5:00AM.. Just sleepwalking thru the days .. with no quick wit.. and heavy eyes 

• Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Did you mean to say .. One of many? I’ve never been able to understand the people that stay up  all hours.. knowing they have be up at 4:30-5:00AM.. Just sleepwalking thru the days .. with no quick wit.. and heavy eyes 

I have the feeling you are one of those guys full of energy at 6:00 AM who drives everyone nuts but then by 2:30 you are gassed and checked out at work.

I hate dealing with those guys. They get to work at 6, sit around doing nothing until 9 because no one else is there or responding to emails, and then they hit lunch at 10:30 right as the rest of the team is getting rolling. Then after lunch they refuse to start anything new because they are headed home at 2:30. Rinse and repeat the next day. Yup, seen that many times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

I have the feeling you are one of those guys full of energy at 6:00 AM who drives everyone nuts but then by 2:30 you are gassed and checked out at work.

I hate dealing with those guys. They get to work at 6, sit around doing nothing until 9 because no one else is there or responding to emails, and then they hit lunch at 10:30 right as the rest of the team is getting rolling. Then after lunch they refuse to start anything new because they are headed home at 2:30. Rinse and repeat the next day. Yup, seen that many times.

2nd shift?

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I’m in outside sales. Make my own hours and schedule . Never would want to do office job tying me to a schedule . If I did.. yes I’d be those guys. The day is basically over by 2:30-3:00. No one  is working at that point. When traveling all over New England and not staying overnight , like to be home by 3:00:-3:30 though doesn’t always work that way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

More I 93 pileups in the morning 

I'm guessing there is some empirical data backing up these comments:

Simply put, darkness kills. And darkness in the evening is far deadlier than darkness in the morning," University of Washington professor Steve Calandrillo said. "The evening rush hour is twice as fatal as the morning for various reasons — far more people are on the road, more alcohol is in drivers' bloodstream, people are hurrying to get home, and more children are enjoying outdoor, unsupervised play."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I'm guessing there is some empirical data backing up these comments:

Simply put, darkness kills. And darkness in the evening is far deadlier than darkness in the morning," University of Washington professor Steve Calandrillo said. "The evening rush hour is twice as fatal as the morning for various reasons — far more people are on the road, more alcohol is in drivers' bloodstream, people are hurrying to get home, and more children are enjoying outdoor, unsupervised play."

Data for winter DSD doesn't exist though. 

Assuming this passes the house which seems highly likely it would not go into effect until November 2023.  So the clocks change back once and forward next spring for the last time.
Why not immediately? Do we really need to prepare a year in advance for such stupidity. I'm glad the govt is looking out for us though

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Why not immediately? Do we really need to prepare a year in advance for such stupidity. I'm glad the govt is looking out for us though

Think back to Y2K... think about how much time was required to make sure systems and software were able to handle the year change.  Literally years.

A bunch of systems would need some jiggering to make this work smoothly.  Does not affect me that I know of but I'm sure many businesses/agencies have systems that need to be re-worked

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Think back to Y2K... think about how much time was required to make sure systems and software were able to handle the year change.  Literally years.

A bunch of systems would need some jiggering to make this work smoothly.  Does not affect me that I know of but I'm sure many businesses/agencies have systems that need to be re-worked

Was thinking the same thing.  Every operating system that automatically updates clocks for DST would have to be reconfigured.  I don't know much about that, and maybe it is an easy fix, but there are probably lots of other systems that will need more attention.

Good point

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

I can’t wait for 815am darkness in January.

Sunrise in Detroit in late December is 9:02am.  Ouch

Just wait.  We tried this for a year when I was a kid.  Everyone thought it was a great idea until people had to go to work in darkness.  We scrapped it and went back to changing the clocks as we do now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Sunrise in Detroit in late December is 9:02am.  Ouch

Just wait.  We tried this for a year when I was a kid.  Everyone thought it was a great idea until people had to go to work in darkness.  We scrapped it and went back to changing the clocks as we do now.

There are two aspects to this for me:

One:   This is probably a wild notion on my part, but it's just a supposition.  It seems there is an "apathy" to handed down wisdom ( understood to be meaningful/useful lore) that is become more and more the sociological behavioral norm. Flouting previous failure signals as such.

I think that modernity and convenience addling is the problem.  We really do live and breath and "resort" in times of relative hardships, to an embarrassment of recourse options compared 1900... 1950 was that much better.  2000 even more recourse aplenty.  And despite the dangers continued Industrialism and its transformative power, unguided nor appropriately measured, invariably leading to x-y-x holocaust(s), we get richer. (Perhaps right up to the edge of our oblivion as a digression point).  

That is our reality here inside the "relative opulentia" of the Industrial bubble.  With recourse comes less necessity for prudence, and thus... cutting hand-me-down lore of ways and means, at all scales. From the barns to Wall Street, to the White House.   The information from forefathers is obviously listened to, but it is not really 'heard' like it used to be.  It's like because there is not enough suffering from scarcity, people tend to nod at advice more so than take it very seriously and modulate their behavior, based on whatever's being handed down.  

I could see DST taking another trial swim... even though in the grand scheme as things ... the 1970s is a very very brief distance. But the lessons are in conceit or arrogance, not transmitting into this generation.

Two:   But there may be a difference now than a 1970s experiment. Perhaps the same powers/technology of modernity ...could also provide a different approach to application of DST in perpetuity. 

Firstly... Indiana and I think Arizona ( and there may be others ), I don't believe have ever messed with their clocks.   Why not take a closer look and observe how their states go about the logistics and cogs of state vs private matters.  Maybe their denizens hate it?  Maybe the like what they have for a-b-c reason.  Perhaps they don't have an opinion.    ...Maybe those examples might lend some insight. 

Technology is transformative in how we live and carry about. There could if perhaps should be out of box thinking in how to use it to ameliorate all these "omg logistical can't happentisms" which are really based on of either fear, or insular inability to do just that: think outside the box and be creative with the powers/abilities in place. 

Horrible news. 

I look forward to returning to EST in November and hate going back to EDT in March. The ratio has gotten tighter and tighter since I was a kid it's now at around 8mos/4mos and it used to be closer to a 50/50 split. 

If we're just going to use one id be in favor of just using EST over EDT. 

• Confused 1

As someone who is from Indiana, I can chime in on this.  As said in the post above, most of Indiana is in the eastern time zone.  The entire state does change their clocks nowadays, which is something that started maybe 15 years ago or so (prior to that, the counties in the eastern time zone never changed their clocks).

I'm currently in one of the IN counties in the central time zone, but used to live on the western fringe of the eastern time zone, which meant that the sun didn't set in summer until like 9:30 pm.  That was kind of interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

As someone who is from Indiana, I can chime in on this.  As said in the post above, most of Indiana is in the eastern time zone.  The entire state does change their clocks nowadays, which is something that started maybe 15 years ago or so (prior to that, the counties in the eastern time zone never changed their clocks).

I'm currently in one of the IN counties in the central time zone, but used to live on the western fringe of the eastern time zone, which meant that the sun didn't set in summer until like 9:30 pm.  That was kind of interesting.

Okay   interesting.  

I was child in S. Lower Michigan through the early 80's ( as I date myself...).  I thought back then they didn't move clocks?   I dunno, but now that I think about it, I had forgotten that happened this Century. 

And I know what you mean about late setting sun in summer.  Kalamazoo is right there.... same, with golden horizontal sun still shinning off the tops of the tallest trees at 930... with still legible light at 10, knowing it is only two hours until midnight ...is a rather weird state of affairs.