Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

For me to come back as a fan I need the game to speed up (pitch clock) and more action (more hits). Until that is realized...I'm out.

As in, at all ?   ..ha. 

I love baseball, but admit it's hard... getting harder for the average spectator. With all other distractions pawing at attention, there's just too much other stuff.  Who the hell has time to sit through languid pitch counts ... game caller guys filling with anything they can that ultimately is meaningless to what's going on or one's time. 

Yeah, the future doesn't end well for that engagement.  It's a problem for the game.  It's 'on the wrong side of history.'   It made sense - maybe - pre Internet/ media-tech -based culturally.  I mean it'll survive for a longer while... inevitably dwindling draw.  In the interim, there is still a large population that remembers ... perhaps with nostalgia. That target demo-g is there...  But the longer term model of the game ? I agree - has to evolve into something new. 

42 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I love baseball, but admit it's hard... getting harder for the average spectator. With all other distractions pawing at attention, there's just too much other stuff.  Who the hell has time to sit through languid pitch counts ... game caller guys filling with anything they can that ultimately is meaningless to what's going on or one's time.

Agree with all this, which is why I stopped watching on TV a long time ago and now relegate it to the radio while doing other things... cooking dinner, coding, looking at models, whatev.  Makes for great background noise, and you can tell by the pitch of the announcers voice when there's something going on worth paying attention to.  But don't have to rely on it to hold your full attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Agree with all this, which is why I stopped watching on TV a long time ago and now relegate it to the radio while doing other things... cooking dinner, coding, looking at models, whatev.  Makes for great background noise, and you can tell by the pitch of the announcers voice when there's something going on worth paying attention to.  But don't have to rely on it to hold your full attention.

That's exactly what baseball has become. Background noise.

• Confused 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Baseball slows down life and is exactly what some of you instant gratification peeps need.

I'm definitely not an instant gratification type but baseball on tv is achingly dull with occasional moments of excitement.  It's great on radio and I enjoy going to a game but it is nearly unwatchable on television. 

• Like 3

So the banning the shift which would as Kevin says raise Joey Gallo’s average to a whopping  250 is 2023 and discretionary based on the owners vote?   Did I read that right?   Same with clock.   I’m a baseball fan since the 1954 season.  I’ll watch no matter what but as in previous years unless it’s a big game I’ll go about my business if it conflicts.

35 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So the banking the shift which would as Kevin says raise Joey Gallo’s average to a whopping  250 is 2023 and discretionary based on the owners vote?   Did I read that right?   Same with clock.   I’m a baseball fan since the 1954 season.  I’ll watch no matter what but as in previous years unless it’s a big game I’ll go about my business if it conflicts.

Yea but come playoffs just like all the other sports it's can't miss stuff

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Am I the only one that likes the shift? I mean it's strategy. If you can't hit the ball the other way then tough crap for you.

It seems odd to "ban" it. That seems like artificially messing with the game for ratings purposes?

If you want more action, make the games 5 innings and let everyone juice.

Spotted in the wild in Gorham today:

CBD1D663-2C35-4F2F-9B26-FC274CFF38B7.thumb.jpeg.cbd9a15740af2ce89fd6a81d0c7be088.jpeg

If you can't read it, it says per Gov Sununu's order, they can't sell Russian vodka any more.

I find this to be pretty silly. 

I was in a bar and they were saying how they dumped out all of their Smirnoff. I didn't have the heart to tell them that isn't even a Russian vodka now... LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

CBD1D663-2C35-4F2F-9B26-FC274CFF38B7.thumb.jpeg.cbd9a15740af2ce89fd6a81d0c7be088.jpeg

If you can't read it, it says per Gov Sununu's order, they can't sell Russian vodka any more.

I was in a bar and they were saying how they dumped out all of their Smirnoff. I didn't have the heart to tell them that isn't even a Russian vodka now... LOL

Good luck finding vodka actually made in Russia

• Like 1

I found a poor little goldfinch huddled in the road this morning. It clearly has that disease that's been wiping out songbirds this year. Its eyes were pretty much gone. I didn't have the heart to leave it, so I brought it home and put it in a shoe box with some bedding and seeds. I figure it's a goner, but at least it can die warm and dry.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Live free or die!

On 3/11/2022 at 10:26 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

As in, at all ?   ..ha. 

Yeah, the future doesn't end well for that engagement.  It's a problem for the game.  It's 'on the wrong side of history.'   It made sense - maybe - pre Internet/ media-tech -based culturally.  I mean it'll survive for a longer while... inevitably dwindling draw.  In the interim, there is still a large population that remembers ... perhaps with nostalgia. That target demo-g is there...  But the longer term model of the game ? I agree - has to evolve into something new. 

I've been a fan since the mid 1950s and have read stuff similar to that last paragraph about 4 times since then.  The particulars differ but the conclusions remain consistent.  Maybe someday it will be accurate but I'm not concerned yet. 

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I've been a fan since the mid 1950s and have read stuff similar to that last paragraph about 4 times since then.  The particulars differ but the conclusions remain consistent.  Maybe someday it will be accurate but I'm not concerned yet. 

Meh... their numbers are falling -