• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

I don't follow baseball that closely, but the "shift" is where the players in the field move around to take advantage of tendencies by certain hitters to always put the ball in play in certain spots, correct? Why is that being banned? If the hitters don't like it shouldn't they adjust? The fielding team just has to stand in one place now or something? I don't get this one.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I don't follow baseball that closely, but the "shift" is where the players in the field move around to take advantage of tendencies by certain hitters to always put the ball in play in certain spots, correct? Why is that being banned? If the hitters don't like it shouldn't they adjust? The fielding team just has to stand in one place now or something? I don't get this one.

I thought they were trying to speed up the game, the no shift rule will allow more hits. I don't like getting rid of the shift.

47 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

12 team postseason this year but pitch clock, bigger bases, and restrictions to shifts are planned for 2023. Plus the 7 inning doubleheader and man on 2nd extra inning will be gone too. It’s still up to the owners who have the full power to implement these in 2023, if they chose to.

In other words, nothing to actually make the game more watchable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

The land agreements aren't the issue in accessing PA. New York is.

I read its also estimated to cost like $13 million per mile for a large natural gas transmission line to be run to New England. The permits alone will never happen as NY and all of the New England states have legislation to reduce carbon emissions by like 80% by 2050. New England would be better off spending billions on more wind and solar than a gas pipeline. 

I don't think people realize how much potential offshore wind is possible in New England. Even factoring in converting everything to heat pumps we would have 5x the electricity we need in New England. 

New England could generate more than five times its projected 2050 electricity demand with offshore wind alone. Massachusetts has the potential to generate the most offshore wind power of any state, while Maine has by far the highest ratio of potential offshore wind power to its current and future electricity needs. For projections of 2050 electricity demand, the report assumes that U.S. buildings, industry and transportation will all be powered by electricity rather than fossil fuels by mid-century.

https://environmentmassachusetts.org/news/mae/new-report-new-england-has-vast-potential-offshore-wind-energy

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I thought they were trying to speed up the game, the no shift rule will allow more hits. I don't like getting rid of the shift.

I think it's to get more action into the game.  Hits are fun at least.  Everybody striking out 150+ times a year because they're focused on launch angle to beat the shift is boring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

I read its also estimated to cost like $13 million per mile for a large natural gas transmission line to be run to New England. The permits alone will never happen as NY and all of the New England states have legislation to reduce carbon emissions by like 80% by 2050. New England would be better off spending billions on more wind and solar than a gas pipeline. 

I don't think people realize how much potential offshore wind is possible in New England. Even factoring in converting everything to heat pumps we would have 5x the electricity we need in New England. 

New England could generate more than five times its projected 2050 electricity demand with offshore wind alone. Massachusetts has the potential to generate the most offshore wind power of any state, while Maine has by far the highest ratio of potential offshore wind power to its current and future electricity needs. For projections of 2050 electricity demand, the report assumes that U.S. buildings, industry and transportation will all be powered by electricity rather than fossil fuels by mid-century.

https://environmentmassachusetts.org/news/mae/new-report-new-england-has-vast-potential-offshore-wind-energy

It can be done but always, big money/power combined with our do nothing politicians is difficult to move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radarman said:

I think it's to get more action into the game.  Hits are fun at least.  Everybody striking out 150+ times a year because they're focused on launch angle to beat the shift is boring.

For me to come back as a fan I need the game to speed up (pitch clock) and more action (more hits). Until that is realized...I'm out.

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it might be 2023. I didn’t realize this until Kevin told me haha. I knew that was in the talks.

I read it as being "considered" for 2023.  They should try it in some of the minors first, to see what effect (if any) the change would make.  It's been about 75 years since the "Boudreau Shift" was implemented when Ted Williams was at bat, and baseball has survived.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Its called futures contracts

lol.

I used to do work for a gas station chain, and this discussion came up many times. The answer was always the same...someone would look at the stations near by, and price according to the competition. Also, when the news talked about oil prices going up the owner of the station, or chains would set a price per gallon based on that info and change the prices within the next day or 2. 

There was no magic to it.  It was do what ever could be done and get away with what you could to increase the prices.

Again, this was at the local level, and not at the ports.

• Like 1