Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Which states with billion dollar budget surplus will drop their gas excise tax?

It’s a tough call, they will have to make up the money elsewhere.  The state governments have barely been able to keep up with needed road work in many areas.  Bridges need to replacing.  Gas tax compensates for other taxation short falls.

You feel for the family operating with a Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord that can’t meet the gas prices.  Folks in $50,000+ trucks and SUVs worrying about gas prices going up is definitely an American problem. 

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s a tough call, they will have to make up the money elsewhere.  The state governments have barely been able to keep up with needed road work in many areas.  Bridges need to replacing.  Gas tax compensates for other taxation short falls.

You feel for the family operating with a Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord that can’t meet the gas prices.  Folks in $50,000+ trucks and SUVs worrying about gas prices going up is definitely an American problem. 

Billion dollar surpluses . The greatest hurt is on people who can least afford it. We passed a multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill. Enough is enough. 

• Thanks 1

State taxes are about to go ballistic in a lot of places. Many will be shocked by the increases.

NH is very business friendly so we are in the process of moving everything up here from MD. We have also been investing in local businesses. It's completely insane how much of a business we can buy in Berlin versus what we can buy in MD for the same money. Our cash reserves make us look like Jeff Bezos up here. I have been telling my friends in blue states down south they need two bring their $$ up here. It goes 10x further than it does in their current NJ/VA/MD shitholes.

MD is going to get a deep blue governor next go round who will surely raise taxes massively to fund shortfalls and "achieve justice for Baltimore" so we are fully headed out before that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's completely insane how much of a business we can buy in Berlin versus what we can buy in MD for the same money. Our cash reserves make us look like Jeff Bezos up here. I have been telling my friends in blue states down south they need two bring their $$ up here. 

That’s great.  Invest in the under represented areas of America and make money doing it. There are still a lot of economies with potential.

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s great.  Invest in the under represented areas of America and make money doing it. There are still a lot of economies with potential.

And the work ethic is amazing. Folks up here just work. They come in every day and crank out 8-10 hours like it's nothing. I continue to be amazed at the work ethic here every day. Definitely a big motivator for me to make sure staff are taken care of and paid well. The crappy customer service and WFH trends have definitely not hit here yet. People here still take big pride in their work and believe it will lead to bigger things. I love working with people like that and making sure they achieve it. Many of them have deep skills too that they aren't fully using. They know how to handle heavy machinery, dangerous work environments, and high stress like it's nothing.

If anyone out there with investment $$ is listening... Berlin, NH wants to work! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

And the work ethic is amazing. Folks up here just work. They come in every day and crank out 8-10 hours like it's nothing. I continue to be amazed at the work ethic here every day. Definitely a big motivator for me to make sure staff are taken care of and paid well. The crappy customer service and WFH trends have definitely not hit here yet. People here still take big pride in their work and believe it will lead to bigger things. I love working with people like that and making sure they achieve it. Many of them have deep skills too that they aren't fully using. They know how to handle heavy machinery, dangerous work environments, and high stress like it's nothing.

If anyone out there with investment $$ is listening... Berlin, NH wants to work! 

Welcome to New England.   I noticed Californians brag about how big their car or house is.    New Englanders brag about how hard they work.   I still feel guilty not working full time for no reasonable reason but personal insanity.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

There's a whole country out there, why only focus on the same dozen spots. 

And nowadays work can be done anywhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Same here. 

5 hours ago, weathafella said:

Welcome to New England.   I noticed Californians brag about how big their car or house is.    New Englanders brag about how hard they work.   I still feel guilty not working full time for no reasonable reason but personal insanity.....

Younger generation isn't like that in New England from what I can tell. Even for someone like me, I'm amazed at the comments I hear. Many think they're gonna go viral on Tiktok and make a fortune off that. Good luck. 

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Younger generation isn't like that in New England from what I can tell. Even for someone like me, I'm amazed at the comments I hear. Many think they're gonna go viral on Tiktok and make a fortune off that. Good luck. 

I hire people on Cape Cod and Seacoast Maine.  What a tremendous difference in workers. Cape Cod is gritty, work 10 hrs a day in all conditions.  Very blue collar background.  Maine is millenials on millenials. Need to talk about feelings and celebrate everything.  Its agonizing.  We burn through employees in Maine.  Wanted to find themselves in a tremendously difficult job and said nah I'll go back to mom and dads trust fund. 

1 minute ago, amarshall said:

I hire people on Cape Cod and Seacoast Maine.  What a tremendous difference in workers. Cape Cod is gritty, work 10 hrs a day in all conditions.  Very blue collar background.  Maine is millenials on millenials. Need to talk about feelings and celebrate everything.  Its agonizing.  We burn through employees in Maine.  Wanted to find themselves in a tremendously difficult job and said nah I'll go back to mom and dads trust fund. 

My wife works at Northeastern and I hear all the stuff that goes on. I get labor sucks, but sometimes you have to do it. I did landscaping part time along with my full time job to help purchase a wedding ring. But that's the younger crowd. They have great skills in some areas in the technological  aspects, but I think lack the understanding of what it means to work. It's not a dig on them....it's a generational thing.

44 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My wife works at Northeastern and I hear all the stuff that goes on. I get labor sucks, but sometimes you have to do it. I did landscaping part time along with my full time job to help purchase a wedding ring. But that's the younger crowd. They have great skills in some areas in the technological  aspects, but I think lack the understanding of what it means to work. It's not a dig on them....it's a generational thing.

I think it’s also somewhat the younger generation is wising up to the ridiculous labor culture in this country.

There is nothing wrong with hard work. I have done landscaping etc etc, and my position now is somewhat physical, but I think the younger generation is questioning work practices 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think it’s also somewhat the younger generation is wising up to the ridiculous labor culture in this country.

There is nothing wrong with hard work. I have done landscaping etc etc, and my position now is somewhat physical, but I think the younger generation is questioning work practices 

When I was 22 years old, we'd have a blizzard, 24" of snow, the owner would be screaming for us to get into the office. Literal state of emergency, owner had me on the phone at 6am "where are you" That was a dumb labor practice.  

Now 2" of snow forecasted.  Millenials calling out the day before. Can't make it. Cancel all production.   Absolutely infuriating.  They all drive beefed up subarus with snow tires. They can be damn sure they're driving in whiteout for first tracks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

So, Russian forces cut power to Chernobyl. It’s now on backup power. If that fails, we risk all the spent fuel melting down?  This would be bad for Ukraine and the EU, no?  Is this Putin’s backdoor nuclear threat to the West?  It’s not a bomb, so…

Isn't that bad for Belarus too?

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Isn't that bad for Belarus too?

"Energoatom (Ukraine energy agency) said there were about 20,000 spent fuel assemblies at Chernobyl that could not be kept cool amid a power outage.

Their warming could lead to "the release of radioactive substances into the environment. The radioactive cloud could be carried by wind to other regions of Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, and Europe," it said in a statement."

46 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

So, Russian forces cut power to Chernobyl. It’s now on backup power. If that fails, we risk all the spent fuel melting down?  This would be bad for Ukraine and the EU, no?  Is this Putin’s backdoor nuclear threat to the West?  It’s not a bomb, so…

Could they seriously be trying to debilitate Ukraine by destroying their nuclear power plant and not minding if it melts down? That would be one hell of a war crime in my book. It would definitely mean that they are more interested in destroying Ukraine than occupying it, all the while telling the world “oh this isn’t war, we love Ukraine they are one with us”. This brings on the rage.

Me thinks there is a chance we are seeing the peak of gas prices, maybe not fully done rising but the vertical slope is finished.

3 hours ago, amarshall said:

This is surprising, though I'm not questioning your experience.  Are the Cape Cod folks Gen-X and older?  I'm far more familiar with inland Maine, where the work ethic is generally great, though all places here and there have exceptions.

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Which states with billion dollar budget surplus will drop their gas excise tax?

I'd recommend doing this carefully, with a sunset provision perhaps tied to prices drop below a set threshold.  Roads/bridge are bad enough now and an extended spell of drying up their finances won't help.  Also, the sunset provision would eliminate the need to vote for a tax hike, with its political fallout.

Totally different subject:  Came thru my ablation process quite well yesterday.  The Electrophysiologist (a discipline I'd never heard of before last October) spent 25 minutes treating over 130 separate rogue impulse sites in pulmonary veins during the 4-hours it took for anesthesia/insertion of tools into femoral veins and up to-through the heart/ablation/removal and cleanup, followed by 3-4 hours on my back in recovery and then another 2 hours stopping the skin-layer capillary bleeds.  In Hospital at 6:15 AM, out at 6:30 PM, totally professional job all around.  :D  My throat is scratchy thanks to the tube and my chest is sore - things were done inside there - especially if I take a deep breath.  A week of no lifting more than 10 lb and other sensible cautions.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'd recommend doing this carefully, with a sunset provision perhaps tied to prices drop below a set threshold.  Roads/bridge are bad enough now and an extended spell of drying up their finances won't help.  Also, the sunset provision would eliminate the need to vote for a tax hike, with its political fallout.

Totally different subject:  Came thru my ablation process quite well yesterday.  The Electrophysiologist (a discipline I'd never heard of before last October) spent 25 minutes treating over 130 separate rogue impulse sites in pulmonary veins during the 4-hours it took for anesthesia/insertion of tools into femoral veins and up to-through the heart/ablation/removal and cleanup, followed by 3-4 hours on my back in recovery and then another 2 hours stopping the skin-layer capillary bleeds.  In Hospital at 6:15 AM, out at 6:30 PM, totally professional job all around.  :D  My throat is scratchy thanks to the tube and my chest is sore - things were done inside there - especially if I take a deep breath.  A week of no lifting more than 10 lb and other sensible cautions.

Heal well my friend 

• Like 1