• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

I'm on an open floor with 80 seats. There are maybe 10 of us up here on a daily basis. Everyone else is still home on Zoom. There's a guy across the floor I'm looking at right now. He's probably 50 feet from me. N95 on.  Meanwhile, I'm typing this with a 3 ply surgical fogging up my glasses. 

All of us full time, 5 days week lab people who have been here since this shit started were wearing them pulled down a little so we could actually breathe. Some Sally hybrid who works up here 1 day a week complained and the mask police come around every so often now. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ineedsnow said:
BREAKING: MLBPA player leaders agreed unanimously not to accept MLB's final proposal, and there will be no deal on a new collective-bargaining agreement before MLB's 5 p.m. ET deadline, sources tell ESPN. MLB has threatened to cancel its March 31 Opening Day without a new deal.

Screw ‘em. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I'm on an open floor with 80 seats. There are maybe 10 of us up here on a daily basis. Everyone else is still home on Zoom. There's a guy across the floor I'm looking at right now. He's probably 50 feet from me. N95 on.  Meanwhile, I'm typing this with a 3 ply surgical fogging up my glasses. 

All of us full time, 5 days week lab people who have been here since this shit started were wearing them pulled down a little so we could actually breathe. Some Sally hybrid who works up here 1 day a week complained and the mask police come around every so often now. 

that is beyond ridiculous at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

From your mouth to my employers ear. We cant even wear cloth masks that are breathable. 3 ply surgical or N95/KN95 only. But we can congregate in the lunch room, eat 2 feet part, but damn well better put them back on when you go back to your desk at least 7-8 feet way from your co worker. 

That’s odd.  It’s ova 

Estimated 140 million covid infections in the US based on seroprevalence data, though that is probably an underestimate as explained toward the bottom of the article.  Wisconsin has the highest reported seroprevalence at 56.1%, with Vermont the lowest at 17.8%

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/01/health/140-million-covid-19-infections/index.html

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So we are probably pulling back on the raised beds for this season. We need a fence, and I don’t want to half ass it, and the price of lumber is astronomical. We’re hoping to punt this season and hope for more realistic costs next year 

I was in HD Sunday. 2x4’s we’re $6.99

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So we are probably pulling back on the raised beds for this season. We need a fence, and I don’t want to half ass it, and the price of lumber is astronomical. We’re hoping to punt this season and hope for more realistic costs next year 

Is the fence just for the garden?  Try something like this with the raised beds. 
image.jpeg.5c8269a4e1e49043d7f755b365d98cbd.jpeg

• Like 2

What is the condition of the nukes in Russia?   The conventional military looks pretty bad with poorly maintained old equipment.   People imho seriously overreacting to the nuclear potential which is extremely low imho.   Intelligence was pretty good leading up to the Ukraine invasion but not sure if we can ever know publicly what the nuclear status is.   

The Putin bunker story is not at all verified-a Russian professor/conspiracy theorist claims it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What is the condition of the nukes in Russia?   The conventional military looks pretty bad with poorly maintained old equipment.   People imho seriously overreacting to the nuclear potential which is extremely low imho.   Intelligence was pretty good leading up to the Ukraine invasion but not sure if we can ever know publicly what the nuclear status is.   

The Putin bunker story is not at all verified-a Russian professor/conspiracy theorist claims it.   

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60564123.amp

6 hours ago, weathafella said:

But-are they usable?  I read a book by Daniel Ellsberg of Pentagon Papers fame who said that a retrospective of the Cuban missile crisis showed USSR with 4 warheads-probably why JFK felt confident drawing a line in the sand....

I find that hard to believe frankly. I'd be interested in reading the book, but the USSR had both a viable space program (and hence rocket technology) and tested hundreds of nukes on their soil. Their tech wasn't up to U.S. standards, but I doubt it was that derelict.

6 hours ago, weathafella said:

But-are they usable?  I read a book by Daniel Ellsberg of Pentagon Papers fame who said that a retrospective of the Cuban missile crisis showed USSR with 4 warheads-probably why JFK felt confident drawing a line in the sand....

Also, how many of the launch commanders are going to actually fire if Putin gives the order?  I can see a good % of them not obeying the order or making up some excuse as to why they can't fire.  And then let's assume another % of the nukes don't actually work and misfire.  Chances are they do more damage to themselves in the initial attack.  It would also be the permanent end to the russian federation.  China would lose their partner in crime, and India wouldn't have a fence to sit on any longer.  So while it's horrific to think about a nuclear attack, were the West to survive it, things would look incredibly different going forward. The main concern, after the sheer loss of life and impact to the environment, is how quickly the West could rebuild infrastructure to keep China and Iran in check.

15 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My boss has been home for almost 2 years now.  ...He does come in every so often, but for the most part he is home.  For 18 months he was home 100% of the time.

This entire exercise of home working that still exists here has become a very big bone of contention around my place of work.  The general manager is still sticking to the, "people can work from home 3 days a week" stance, and it is driving people nuts (my boss is one who just does not even bother to come in for those 2 days, except every so often).  There is literally zero reason to be home, and I know that people have taken advantage of the whole thing.  I have had conversations with people who are using those days to be home with their kids, etc.  People are taking dr's appointments without subtracting the time, they are taking vacations days, without subtracting the time, etc.. At the end of the year they have vacation time that they have not used. and carry it over, or cash it out and get paid.  The Sh.it is on a whole other level of insanity.  Myself and others saw this coming back when it all started it, but when we mentioned it people blew us off as paranoid, saying, "this is a time of crisis and that people would not take advantage like that".  I have come to work through all of it. The only time I stayed home was ONCE when we had an all day ZOOM interview to hire architects 18 months ago, and there was zero reason for me to drive to work just to get on my computer for a meeting.

Regarding my boss, it does not really matter to me that he is home since the work gets done. It hasn't affected my situation at all and I know he is working tons of extra hours as well.  The situations in other departments, not so much. Completely different scene.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

IMG_4622.jpg

I had cobbled together some crappy panels (left) with chicken wire but they weren't sturdy enough and had big gaps at the corners. So I made cages (right) last spring out of deck balusters and that repurposed chicken wire. Added some decorative hinges and handles (not pictured here) with locks. I could probably dig up the instructions somewhere.

• Like 3