Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

22 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

4300 troops dead in 4 days? Not sure I buy that

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

There is an absurd amount of bad information and propaganda out there right now but some don’t want to listen. If they want to believe Putin will surrender and be led away in chains, let them. 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ve seen that floating around and it seems suspect to me.

Yea. Any actual numbers like that table suggests is suspect.

The more important aspect of this invasion right now is the ground truth of southern towns with damaged civilian infrastructures and confirmed civilian casualties…which the Kremlin once again has lied about. 

• Like 3

So I signed up for Duolingo real quick, and now I am learning Ukrainian. I actually chose to do this because I had actually used Duolingo to start learning Russian a few years ago, but like many things, I lost interest I guess because I was working a lot. 

I signed up to spend 15 minutes a day doing it, and I can already remember how effective Duo Lingo is... And if I keep at it maybe I can become useful as a bi-lingual person who speaks Ukrainian.

Kind of a big commitment to learn a new language but given the circumstances I trust that I will actually keep going until I know how to speak Ukrainian.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

So I signed up for Duolingo real quick, and now I am learning Ukrainian. I actually chose to do this because I had actually used Duolingo to start learning Russian a few years ago, but like many things, I lost interest I guess because I was working a lot. 

I signed up to spend 15 minutes a day doing it, and I can already remember how effective Duo Lingo is... And if I keep at it maybe I can become useful as a bi-lingual person who speaks Ukrainian.

Kind of a big commitment to learn a new language but given the circumstances I trust that I will actually keep going until I know how to speak Ukrainian.

I made chicken Kiev about 45-50 years ago and it was good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You’d think they’d make their sites free and then make more money via ad revenue…but what do I know?

The translation to having to pay to look at some news sites is synonymous with having to put a couple quarters into the metal box on top of the bigger metal box to get your paper

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

The translation to having to pay to look at some news sites is synonymous with having to put a couple quarters into the metal box on top of the bigger metal box to get your paper

I get it. But they aren’t selling many papers anymore and not a lot of people are paying for full access either. You can get your news just fine without paying for a paper or a subscription.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I get it. But they aren’t selling many papers anymore and not a lot of people are paying for full access either. You can get your news just fine without paying for a paper or a subscription.

Yes, you can. And that is the mystery. With my phone, usually what it takes is if I am blocked from accessing an article through my news app, I can turn and google it and it will pop up and I can enjay it. 

I think a lot of the payment forms of getting the news boil down to convenience of access, not outright ability to get it altogether.

53 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah I know, a while back I signed up for one of those ridiculous six months of Boston Globe for .99/week 

Great news paper but it’s normal subscription prices are high.

I just signed up for 2 years of the Worcester paper (and therefore access  to their whole family of rags) for $22.  Not too bad.  

We still get a paper copy (and therefore the digital 7 days) of the Glob on Sundays but I will be dropping that very soon.    I miss the store ads. Lol. 

• Like 1

If you're using Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje

This extension adds a quick toggle button to the toolbar that disables javascript and lets you read most news sites. You probably won't see images and things won't look pretty, but it gets the job done remarkably well.

• Like 1

A friend of mine who was in the special forces and did multiple tours in Afghanistan/Iraq told me on Saturday that tons of really elite guy's from the US/UK/Israel and other countries were going in or already there to fight as volunteers.

Sure enough I just saw buzzfeed has an article on it this morning. It also seems many countries are openly posting now that's its ok for their citizens to volunteer with Latvia even voting to change its law to allow people to volunteer.

My buddy said its going to get interesting there soon especially with all the donated weapons coming in. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christopherm51/american-nato-military-veterans-fight-russia-with-ukraine