Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Don’t bring the OT crew here. Keep it over there. They always mess up these threads.  

I don't need to name names, but someone has started going into regional banter threads and bringing those posts to OT for discussion.  It's a little weird.

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Seriously, can't be surgical when launching old Grads and Tornadoes. I assumed it would have been a lot more guided Iskanders but seems as though few have been fired. The Pentagon reported 160 missiles/rockets total in the first 48 hours, I think the opening of "Shock and Awe" had almost 3,000 in the first 48 hours. It looks like they decided to put all their older stuff to use, all the Mi-24, SU-24/5, T-72s. Makes sense but going to make for a lot more Russian casualties. I imagine they figured they didn't need to put out any of their new stuff, risk losing some, and providing NATO et al. with intel on its performance. 

Let’s not forget that the Russians are trying to take over a country roughly the size of Texas with 200k troops. It may have been a miscalculation not to deploy their best equipment from the get-go. An operation like this would be difficult enough without a highly motivated native population who do not want to be a Soviet vassal state again. It’s going to be a major logistical challenge for Russia getting fuel and provisions to their troops when they really don’t fully control transit routes. They certainly have air superiority, but not total supremacy and with EU sending in anti-aircraft weaponry they will pay a price in the sky as well. I don’t see Ukraine folding anytime soon, even if their leader falls. They will draw price for this treachery. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Let’s not forget that the Russians are trying to take over a country roughly the size of Texas with 200k troops. It may have been a miscalculation not to deploy their best equipment from the get-go. An operation like this would be difficult enough without a highly motivated native population who do not want to be a Soviet vassal state again. It’s going to be a major logistical challenge for Russia getting fuel and provisions to their troops when they really don’t fully control transit routes. They certainly have air superiority, but not total supremacy and with EU sending in anti-aircraft weaponry they will pay a price in the sky as well. I don’t see Ukraine folding anytime soon, even if their leader falls. They will draw price for this treachery. 

I sure as hell hope the Russian bear gets a bloody nose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

They certainly have air superiority, but not total supremacy and with EU sending in anti-aircraft weaponry they will pay a price in the sky as well. 

Yup, the IL-76s are vulnerable. At least 2 down already and seeing reports of some sort of paratrooper disaster around Odessa tonight.

• Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 2:09 PM, monadnocks said:

Money.

Ukraine has resources Russia wants: Black Sea resources, factories, rail lines, transportation systems, agricultural commodities. 

And history. And the fact that Putin's beyond terrible.

I’m going to make another argument. Russia is paranoid because it has no natural geographic features to provide a defense bulwark on its western border. It’s a lot of flat plains. This has left them vulnerable to invasion from the west over the centuries. Putin wants at the least a buffer of friendly nations on his flank to put some distance between himself and the West. The farce in this, the paranoid delusion, is the idea that Western Europe has any designs on taking over Russia. If he can’t have a bunch of Belaruses, clearly he’s okay with taking free countries by force and coercing them into supporting Russia. 

SK

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

I’m going to make another argument. Russia is paranoid because it has no natural geographic features to provide a defense bulwark on its western border. It’s a lot of flat plains. This has left them vulnerable to invasion from the west over the centuries. Putin wants at the least a buffer of friendly nations on his flank to put some distance between himself and the West. The farce in this, the paranoid delusion, is the idea that Western Europe has any designs on taking over Russia. If he can’t have a bunch of Belaruses, clearly he’s okay with taking free countries by force and coercing them into supporting Russia. 

Putin is ex KGB and was stationed for a time in Dresden,  DDR in the 1980s.  So he's old school in wanting a buffer zone. In those days the eastern block still existed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Love the videos of ordinary citizens with Molotov cocktails laying waste to some Ruskie vehicles 

Yup. They seem to be a lot more loyal to Ukraine than Putin makes them out to be.  Fiercely loyal.  I love seeing the citizens standing up to a world super power any way they can.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Putin obviously has future plans. Take Ukraine, force German Italy to lay low cuz he now has the Ukraine pipeline that feeds them. Take the Balkans and put the USSR back together.  He is taking advantage of feckless leaders and the rush to green energy in Germany which has failed them. 

This is the concern and likely his motive. 

31 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

It’s actually much worse than that- ruble to zero. Putin’s options are very very limited now and not in a good way.

There have been stories that Putin has spent the time since the Crimea annexation making Russia better prepared to withstand sanctions. Paying down foreign debt, integrating Russian exports into Western European economies etc. Also, and you may have been the one to mention this, the Chinese have a competitor to SWIFT they’ve been trying to boost called CIPS, if I’m remembering correctly. 

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup. They seem to be a lot more loyal to Ukraine than Putin makes them out to be.  Fiercely loyal.  I love seeing the citizens standing up to a world super power any way they can.

Where is their army tho?

Russia has one hand behind its back and was outside Kiev in like 24 hours.

Zelensky was wrong to say no invasion was imminent. He screwed up big time.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

I’m absolutely stunned by the below. This is literal insanity. Putin is about to get very very desperate. Ruble is going to zero on Monday/ Sunday night.

DE174987-F6C7-4716-8EC7-141E61687EDB.jpeg

Won't stop him at all. He can still bank with China and the Europeans desperately need his oil. He can still raise capital by selling them all the oil they can handle.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think if that comes to pass we could see Russia based cyber attacks against European and US financial institutions.  
Good times. 

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

There have been stories that Putin has spent the time since the Crimea annexation making Russia better prepared to withstand sanctions. Paying down foreign debt, integrating Russian exports into Western European economies etc. Also, and you may have been the one to mention this, the Chinese have a competitor to SWIFT they’ve been trying to boost called CIPS, if I’m remembering correctly. 

To your point yes- he’s going to lash out at the west and Ukraine… it’s not going to be pretty.

Ya trust me swift is one thing and more symbolic than anything else due to the sanctions put in place last week but…. Seizing/ freezing cb assets is an act of war. No two ways about it. It cannot be overstated how big of a deal this is- provided there aren’t gigantic loopholes- Just wow

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

To your point yes- he’s going to lash out at the west and Ukraine… it’s not going to be pretty.

Ya trust me swift is one thing and more symbolic than anything else due to the sanctions put in place last week but…. Seizing/ freezing cb assets is an act of war. No two ways about it. It cannot be overstated how big of a deal this is- provided there aren’t gigantic loopholes- Just wow

I think you are about to see that the Cold War mentality that this banking and sanctions stuff all still matters has gone out the window.

• Weenie 1

Just now, Supernovice said:

Go away.

When Putin doesn't slow down or stop at all what will you say then? I get that you still think the almighty USD markets still dominate global politics like it's 1980 and cryptocurrencies and the yuan aren't having an impact. These sanctions will hurt the EU and US almost as much as they hurt Russia, but keep pimping them, I guess.

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Won't stop him at all. He can still bank with China and the Europeans desperately need his oil. He can still raise capital by selling them all the oil they can handle.

I'm not so sure about Chinese banks. Several are already balking at financing Russian commodities purchases due to concerns of secondary sanctions being imposed. Keep in mind the Chinese banking system is probably close to insolvency already and doesn't want to risk anything really tipping the scales.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

When Putin doesn't slow down or stop at all what will you say then? I get that you still think the almighty USD markets still dominate global politics like it's 1980 and cryptocurrencies and the yuan aren't having an impact. These sanctions will hurt the EU and US almost as much as they hurt Russia, but keep pimping them, I guess.

Bro I’m muting you for awhile. Don’t have time for your shit. Suggest you pick a career and stick to it: either a YouTube schooled epidemiologist, or supposedly ceo of a u.s. defense contractor who repeats Russian propaganda basically word for word. Wild shit. Either way have a good one, or don’t, idgaf tbh.

• Haha 1