Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

11 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I was thinking of that post of yours earlier today.  I’m confident you’ll be wrong, but boy…

Oh for sure…I was being hyperbolic.

I didn’t think Putin would actually do it at the time, but here we are. 

Seems Ukraine is putting up some fierce resistance. Tonight will be telling.

55 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I was just thinking of Japan when someone posted about it last night. 

I was thinking how Japan has some similarity to New England's winter climate... It is on the Northeast coast of a major continent, thus drawing cold continental air masses that come into contact with the ocean. 

But the obvious difference is that ocean effect snow, since New England is not broken off of the main continent like Japan.

New England is notoriously snowy compared to the rest of lower-elevation American continent since it features the maximum of the fetch of upwind cold air mass, meeting the ocean from where moisture is upwelling from the Southwest. Could you imagine if New England had a 100 or 200 mile stretch of ocean located where the state of New York is? Places like CT might not take the most advantage as they may be a little bit too far south and warm most of the time. But once you get up to a Maine latitude, or add a few thousand feet of elevation, all bets are off.

Dendrite has said he’d like to flood VT before. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

While I’m posting tonight- I’ll actually add some value and not exclusively shitpost.

My IT guys and girls are freaking the f out- they have been told to expect cyber attacks on U.S. assets. My advice to all of you is to keep a super sharp eye on your emails, phishing etc. if you own crypto (not that you aren’t already paranoid) but be very very skeptical. I know we have some defense related business owners here- I’m sure they are in the loop too.

Having said that,  please provide me your SSN and mother’s maiden name and I’ll be happy to cross reference that to known ongoing hacks. Jk jk.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

While I’m posting tonight- I’ll actually add some value and not exclusively shitpost.

My IT guys and girls are freaking the f out- they have been told to expect cyber attacks on U.S. assets. My advice to all of you is to keep a super sharp eye on your emails, phishing etc. if you own crypto (not that you aren’t already paranoid) but be very very skeptical. I know we have some defense related business owners here- I’m sure they are in the loop too.

Having said that,  please provide me your SSN and mother’s maiden name and I’ll be happy to cross reference that to known ongoing hacks. Jk jk.

I think many have understood, for a while, that a full on cyber war was coming at some point.  Live and die by the fragility of your infrastructures. 

The "Anonymous' hacker group has been all over the social media platforms tonight, claiming a massive attack on Russian servers.  Whether it's true or not it's still the future.   Keep some cash on hand too, sucks when atm's go down.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 5:54 AM, CoastalWx said:

This whole conflict. I need to understand it because I barely have time to watch the news. I know this goes back to 2014, but did those two Russian territories in the eastern Ukraine work with Russia to fabricate this genocide lie and give Russia a reason to invade? Just trying to understand the conflict.

Yes, it was Russian propaganda. I’ll put up some articles later that explains the reasons why they invaded. 

There’s also the thought by intelligence that Zelinksy who is modern and west friendly so Ukraine prospering looks terrible on Russia and Putin, while Russia struggles economically. If Russian people start believing that democracy works in outside of Russia then it too can work for them.. Which is obviously not what Putin and his goonies want.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, mreaves said:

If I am remember correctly, you were born in Poland, right?  The Poles must be more than a little concerned about this.

Yes good memory friend. Right now my family in Southeast Poland about 30min from the Ukraine border is helping refugees but hopefully that’s the extent of it. I have relatives who are still alive that lived thru WW2 and younger relatives who lived thru USSR control after the war up until 1982, which is a fairly fresh memory for all Poles. Tensions are high… they just don’t know to what extent this will go yet.

• Like 5

On 2/24/2022 at 11:21 AM, Chrisrotary12 said:

Can someone explain it to me like I am 5. Why is Russia invading Ukraine?

Money.

Ukraine has resources Russia wants: Black Sea resources, factories, rail lines, transportation systems, agricultural commodities. 

And history. And the fact that Putin's beyond terrible.

• Like 3

SANS webcast on Ukraine and cybersecurity: 

Realistically, looking for lack of traffic from notable cybersecurity firms / people might be a better indicator of how bad it might be. There's a lot of vulnerabilities out there. Anyone remember the Bangladesh and SWIFT hack? It's not just the financial sector either. There's a ton of issues in other sectors. 

I honestly think Russia will install a puppet and then be forced to occupy Ukraine during the inevitable insurgence.    That could be a bigger problem than they imagined.   No doubt they’re heading elsewhere but it won’t be so clean in Ukraine and they could unwittingly be dealing themselves a huge blow.    My main concern is whether or not Putin has sanity at the level he has historically had.   People saying something is off and some really disturbing language .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, weathafella said:

I honestly think Russia will install a puppet and then be forced to occupy Ukraine during the inevitable insurgence.    That could be a bigger problem than they imagined.   No doubt they’re heading elsewhere but it won’t be so clean in Ukraine and they could unwittingly be dealing themselves a huge blow.    My main concern is whether or not Putin has sanity at the level he has historically had.   People saying something is off and some really disturbing language .

Macron said as much.  I wonder what someone like Putin would do if he was ever diagnosed with a terminal illness. Would he just fade to black or go out like a supernova?  

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

They are definitely going to just install a puppet regime. They are being very careful to not destroy public infrastructure or harm civilians. People in Ukraine still have food, water, electricity, Internet, etc. There are videos of people in Ukraine just casually going about their business still as the media claims "fighting is raging" all around them.

This whole deal is more of a Ukrainian civil conflict with Russia intervening to prop up their side. I expect a political resolution soon; a deal for Zelensky and his cronies is being worked in the background.

The idea that the Ukrainians are rising up in a notable way or this is some brutal destruction campaign by Russia doesn't seem to be true.

That still doesn't make it right, but it further emphasizes why this is not our fight.

• Weenie 2

My grandparents came over from Ukraine circa 1910.   On my grandmother’s papers upon entry at Ellis Island the country of origin is listed as Russia as that area (Berdychiv-about is 100 miles SW of Kyiv) was Russia for about 500 years from the Middle Ages until post USSR.

• Like 1