• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

I think somebody might be actually entering my apartment and doing nothing but leaving items that don’t belong to me. Loaded shotgun shells, photos of strange girls. See because we don’t use guns or have them, and the only way that shell could be explained is if it came from inside my recliner chair from the store it came from and hid in there for 3 years.

I mean it’s one thing to be crazy…. But the laws of physics are pretty strict. Objects don’t have a habit of appearing magically.

Forced Entry is often seen as a requirement for burglary having taken place… unless you live in an apartment building… in which others actually have keys to the units besides the tenant.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I had edited my post after googling. Those 4 were not good. I’ve had beers from 2 of them . The good ones are in very good shape 

Agreed. The market is over saturated. You need to have a really good beer or really good experience to stay afloat at this point. Thinning the fat. 

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Anybody watching the Olympics?  It’s weird, the only place there is any snow is where they are actually skiing. I read somewhere that all the snow was man made. Why would you have the games like that? 

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Beijing is cold but an arid desert.  Events look spectacular 

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/07/1078735278/beijing-olympics-fake-snow-ski-snowboard

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/26/sport/climate-winter-olympics-snow-intl/index.html

• Like 1

I am horrified that scientists say that at the current clip, 85 to 90 per cent of Great Ape habitat land in Africa is going to be gone by 2050. Humans know this…. The corporations know this. But they don’t care and have no problem exterminating our cousins just to expand their farming.

I am not experiencing regular anger about this. Instead it feels like a part of me is being crushed and destroyed. I donate toward wildlife conservation efforts about this and frankly the fact that people are unwilling to pull back on this today is disturbing me. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That'll be in Littleton near the VT border.

Phin will get the dollar store trifecta of Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree.

I'm buying real estate up here to prepare for the boom that seems to be coming. A ton of activity up here gong on in terms of real estate transactions and renovations.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, JC-CT said:

Does anyone here mess around with GRIB data at all? I got the urge today to try to match up GFS temps to actual observations from the RTMA to see just how bad it was. But it was a little funky trying to match up the grid resolutions and also the GFS is apparently terrible with surface temps over water (that, or the RTMA data is bad for that) so I have to filter my coordinates a little better. But it was interesting...as you might expect, it busted badly on the cold side over land. Need to do a little more validation, might play with it some more over the weekend.

Graphing it is a whole other story too...I did initially play around with some prebuilt stuff but I eventually gave up on that, and on python, and fell back on my reliable old self-taught .NET so I'm sure I'm recreating the wheel on a bunch of stuff. At least there was a nuget wrapper available called grib.api.

The cool thing is that all the weather models and agencies seem to use it. Although trying to work with RAP data was giving me fits.

I reverted back to python, having some limited success making my own GFS and euro maps from the raw data. Need to figure out if I can do anything useful though.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, mreaves said:

Anybody watching the Olympics?  It’s weird, the only place there is any snow is where they are actually skiing. I read somewhere that all the snow was man made. Why would you have the games like that? 

Nothing like Big Air ski jumps next to Massive cooling towers.  Mad Max Olympic vistas.

20220206_211814.jpg

12 hours ago, JC-CT said:

I reverted back to python, having some limited success making my own GFS and euro maps from the raw data. Need to figure out if I can do anything useful though.

500mb heights - today's 6z Euro at hr 90 vs today's 0z Euro at hr 96

I downloaded grib files directly from ECMWF (so lower res version)

Need to figure out how to add labels and such

aTXN6Cx.png

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hard to believe that's the best spot they could find. Looks like something from a cyberpunk dystopia movie.

Olympics more and more seem like nobody wants it lol. I mean this one is a mess. It's like a cold desert with no snow. All man made shit. The only thing that is cool, is the stadium where the opening ceremonies happened. 

They wanted to have the summer Olympics in Boston in 2024. The city was going to pay so GD much....many decided it was not worth it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Olympics more and more seem like nobody wants it lol. I mean this one is a mess. It's like a cold desert with no snow. All man made shit. The only thing that is cool, is the stadium where the opening ceremonies happened. 

They wanted to have the summer Olympics in Boston in 2024. The city was going to pay so GD much....many decided it was not worth it. 

The courses are absolutely perfect for racing though. Near zero temps. The snowboard freestyle course was sick. I don't care about snow in the hillsides although they have snow at the snowboard site. The competition is crazy good. Love having Peacock where I can watch an entire event or skip around. The Luge track is intense 

• Like 2