Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

5 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Some high spot in Woodstock is a good bet too and it's a nice area.

Right, I mean I'm assuming there are many other factors besides being in a weenie snow spot lol. That's probably why Weather-X suggested a place like Ridgefield. That would keep him relatively close to the city but I have no idea if that matters to him or not. Woodstock sounds good but Idk how out in the sticks he's willing to be...if he's restricted to CT and he doesn't mind being in a rural area which I'm thinking as a police officer probably isn't too bad of a gig, then that would be a great spot. If he wants to be in a city and weenie out and he can expand to anywhere in SNE then I would pick Worcester hands down.

Breakers have been tripping all over the house all day for no reason. Finally realized my sump pump has been running continuously for god know how long. Open the pit, pump was smoking and the whole bit.

Good thing it’s a trip safe system, so we have two additional pumps, but can’t imagine replacing the bottom, main pump, is going to be cheap 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Breakers have been tripping all over the house all day for no reason. Finally realized my sump pump has been running continuously for god know how long. Open the pit, pump was smoking and the whole bit.

Good thing it’s a trip safe system, so we have two additional pumps, but can’t imagine replacing the bottom, main pump, is going to be cheap 

Why wasn't the pump breaker tripping? That should trip.  

9 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Meh, I'd look into eastern CT. Much lower cost of living and he'd cleanup in Miller Bs.

Well sure, I was just thinking about a good spot in FFLD county. He might want the proximity to get back home for Sunday dinner quickly and he won't be able to do that if he lives in Windham or is neighbors with Ginxy lol. Lot's of nice options for Anthony

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrianW said:

A friend of mine works in the craft brewery industry in CT. He said sales are horrendous and on a huge downward trend and 5 craft breweries just closed this month in CT. He said expect a ton more to close soon. 

I find that exceedingly hard to believe. Breweries are packed every weekend and many times during the week.  The good ones are doing extremely well.  I just googled and I see the ones that closed. They were struggling with bad beers prior to the pandemic. Just like in any industry, the good ones survive and shine and the bad ones sink and fade away. 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I find that exceedingly hard to believe. Breweries are packed every weekend and many times during the week.  They’re all doing extremely well. I’d be very curious to know which 5 closed in Feb this month in CT. 

Its been all over the news. The market is changing. People don't have $15 to spend on a 4 pack of IPA's anymore and sales are dropping like a cliff. 

In the last month, four breweries in the state have closed permanently. Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, seven breweries have closed in Connecticut.

“Our breweries are struggling. Many of them are on the precipice of financial failure. Losing them is not an option,” Blumenthal said. “This program is an investment in the kind of changes in investment that are required of our breweries.”

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/senator-blumenthal-seeks-federal-relief-funds-for-ct-breweries/520-01cc63b3-0f14-41ad-8576-40081096f5c9

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/craft-beer-industry-growth-slowing-amid-pandemic-new-competition

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-connecticut-breweries-closing-20220205-latmm7zg7fg2tk57ipnsrpz37m-story.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Its been all over the news. The market is changing. People don't have $15 to spend on a 4 pack of IPA's anymore and sales are dropping like a cliff. 

In the last month, four breweries in the state have closed permanently. Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, seven breweries have closed in Connecticut.

“Our breweries are struggling. Many of them are on the precipice of financial failure. Losing them is not an option,” Blumenthal said. “This program is an investment in the kind of changes in investment that are required of our breweries.”

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/senator-blumenthal-seeks-federal-relief-funds-for-ct-breweries/520-01cc63b3-0f14-41ad-8576-40081096f5c9

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/craft-beer-industry-growth-slowing-amid-pandemic-new-competition

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-connecticut-breweries-closing-20220205-latmm7zg7fg2tk57ipnsrpz37m-story.html

I had edited my post after googling. Those 4 were not good. I’ve had beers from 2 of them . The good ones are in very good shape 

I feel like the craft brewing industry is like any other niche industry. It gained popularity and the number of operations exploded well beyond what was probably necessary.

Reminds me a lot of the frozen yogurt kick around 2011-2012. Tons of those places opened up when it became an “it” thing and then the craziness died down, and many of those places didn’t make it.

The good breweries will survive, but when everybody and their brother opens a brewery, some are going to fail.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I wonder how Broad Brook is doing.  I think they literally opened their multimillion dollar barn style facility right at the beginning of Corona.

Wife & I were awoken this morning at 3:05a and sat right up in bed from what I can only describe as a loud bang. After searching house and finding nothing, I fully expected to find a tree on my house this morning. Thankfully, nothing.

Best I can figure is an ice quake. No obvious sources of sound around neighborhood.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I had edited my post after googling. Those 4 were not good. I’ve had beers from 2 of them . The good ones are in very good shape 

I agree. There’s probably too many breweries out there right now because it’s trendy - same situation here in RI. Not all of them are good and some will close because of it as the market relaxes.

8 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I agree. There’s probably too many breweries out there right now because it’s trendy - same situation here in RI. Not all of them are good and some will close because of it as the market relaxes.

Exactly . I love Long Live there in PVD , Proclamation is solid and Tilted Barn is just ridiculously good . Those types of places are thriving and will keep growing. It’s the mediocre and easy subpar ones that get weeded out over time 

A friendly reminder to get the layer of ice off your car roof. I saw three cars with smashed windshields between here and Route 62 on 128 S. 

Then I was hit by a sheet of ice from an SUV merging on the highway. Smashed onto my front end and hood, but luckily no damage I can see. 

Don’t be that idiot. Thanks. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

A friendly reminder to get the layer of ice off your car roof. I saw three cars with smashed windshields between here and Route 62 on 128 S. 

Then I was hit by a sheet of ice from an SUV merging on the highway. Smashed onto my front end and hood, but luckily no damage I can see. 

Don’t be that idiot. Thanks. 

The ice flying off the 18 wheelers is the worst, I remember reading about someone that got killed because the ice flew off the truck and into a car.

• Sad 1