Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Good Green Bay San Fran game, cold with snow and San Fran pulled it out in the last seconds. Aaron goes home early again.

I love following the underdogs in the playoffs. Bengals/Niners SB hopefully! Bills also deserve a shot. They will have their chance.

Both teams deserve one, but especially the Bengals.

I am in-between teams. Was a Ravens fan but not ready to embrace the Patriots. So I root for the underdogs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol I was out cleaning snow in Jan 11 during 60 mph gusts with thunder and lightning and zero visibility one of the most surreal experiences. Another one the Jan 15 blitz at night with snow whipping so hard it stung. Glorious nights alone in the midst. You can sleep when you are dead. Alive is the time for the surreal experiences. They don't come often. Window watching Charlie Brown style ain't my thing.

Little late to this but amen. Life is just too short to look out the window and wonder what if.

If you want something go get it. 

• Like 1

Yeah. Temperatures are already starting to average upward in coastal CT and the NYC area. January has actually been above normal here. HVN is currently +.4 for the month and December was +5.5. The last 6 February's at HVN have been above normal as well. 

Getting this topic out of the storm thread.  Just sharing my own personal preference for old-school football where defenses were allowed to play more physical.  Same with the NBA.  There’s too much of an advantage offensively in today’s game. 

Then again, it might be that I’m just getting older…making me “old school.”Lol. Turning 52 in May.  Where has time gone?  Crazy!  

57 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Getting this topic out of the storm thread.  Just sharing my own personal preference for old-school football where defenses were allowed to play more physical.  Same with the NBA.  There’s too much of an advantage offensively in today’s game. 

Then again, it might be that I’m just getting older…making me “old school.”Lol. Turning 52 in May.  Where has time gone?  Crazy!  

The major sports leagues definitely favor high-flying offensive attacks. They believe that is what attracts eyeballs. It's also better for our soundbite-based low attention span society of fantasy football and NFL RedZone. There is an entire class of NFL fan now that doesn't even watch the games but instead just tracks streams of scoring plays for their fantasy teams on their phone with the TV on in the background. 

Defensive battles that result in a score of 9-3 do not excite and create a Sunday afternoon nap on the couch situation mostly.

I don't think it's a good thing, but I see why they do it.

Personally, I wish we could just skip this intermediate crap and go right to gladiator fights between death row inmates. Whoever wins gets their freedom or at least the sentence reduced. That is where this society is headed. Let's just get there and get on with the Roman Empire collapse already!

10 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The major sports leagues definitely favor high-flying offensive attacks. They believe that is what attracts eyeballs. It's also better for our soundbite-based low attention span society of fantasy football and NFL RedZone. There is an entire class of NFL fan now that doesn't even watch the games but instead just tracks streams of scoring plays for their fantasy teams on their phone with the TV on in the background. 

Defensive battles that result in a score of 9-3 do not excite and create a Sunday afternoon nap on the couch situation mostly.

I don't think it's a good thing, but I see why they do it.

Personally, I wish we could just skip this intermediate crap and go right to gladiator fights between death row inmates. Whoever wins gets their freedom or at least the sentence reduced. That is where this society is headed. Let's just get there and get on with the Roman Empire collapse already!

For me it depends on the quality of play in a low-scoring game.  Sometimes each team's OL and DL are evenly matched, so the battles go back and forth, and there's great DB defense on well-thrown passes - those are fun to watch.  But a 9-3 game with lots of dropped passes and open-but-overthrown receivers, scads of penalties and crummy line play by both teams - that's time to switch channels.

The Saturday games, especially SF/GB, were on the sloppy side.  The Sunday games had their share of muck but each of those were incredible near game's end, though some pass coverage was incredibly bad.  Rams getting to FG range in 42 seconds was wild but KC doing it in 13 seconds was unbelievable.  (And I missed that last one, changing channels after the Bills scored as I thought "game over".)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone got any suggestions where to throw $100 bucks for stocks? Won a hundred bucks this weekend and just want to dump it in somewhere see what happens 

I have seen some incredible returns in my solar stocks. Solaredge SEDG is  a good one, they are one of largest solar inverter manufacturers. They are up 1428% the past 5 years. You will only get half a share but with the growth of solar its sure to go up. 

14 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

The NFL in particular has catered to the fantasy football community in emphasizing offense. One of my favorite games of the last few years was the Pats-Rams Superbowl. Just two great defenses executing nearly perfect.

• Like 1