Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

So far so good!  This morning they were hesitant to come down into the run, though.  Understandably as it was -5°F.  Yesterday morning as rough too with the wind.  Gave them some warm Oatmeal as a treat, they were stoked.  I do want to inspect their combs for any frostbite today, just to be sure.

I did get snow blowing through the ridge vent during last Friday's storm, right into their coop. Cleaned out the snos after and they were fine.  If we get another windy event I'll make sure modification to keep the snow out during the storm at least.

20220116_101738.jpg

20220116_101917.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 8:18 AM, MJO812 said:

I want to stay where there are things to do ( shopping , museums, restaurants)

On 1/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Than your going to want to look into the larger towns.

falmouth, Hyannis, Chatham, Provincetown. They all have vibrant downtowns with shopping, restaurants, museums.

I would say you can't go wrong with either P-town or Falmouth for best variety.   I love outer Cape Provincetown/Truro for the beaches and P-town has plenty to do and great people watching.   Falmouth area has a great downtown and short drives to lots of beaches and nature and easy day trip access to Martha's Vineyard.  It's also more of a year round working town so the prices are not quite as outrageous as outer Cape. 

Anyway, can't go wrong with either.  If you choose Falmouth let me know and I can give you a long list of recommendations.  I grew up spending summers in N Falmouth so I'm quite familiar with that part of the Cape.

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I would say you can't go wrong with either P-town or Falmouth for best variety.   I love outer Cape Provincetown/Truro for the beaches and P-town has plenty to do and great people watching.   Falmouth area has a great downtown and short drives to lots of beaches and nature and easy day trip access to Martha's Vineyard.  It's also more of a year round working town so the prices are not quite as outrageous as outer Cape. 

Anyway, can't go wrong with either.  If you choose Falmouth let me know and I can give you a long list of recommendations.  I grew up spending summers in N Falmouth so I'm quite familiar with that part of the Cape.

I want to take her to a hotel right near the water. She likes art museums, beach and shopping .

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I want to take her to a hotel right near the water. She likes art museums, beach and shopping .

Cape Cod hotels are pretty plain compared to what you might find in other beach resort areas (Hilton Head etc) because most of them are 50+ years old.  Unless you want to stay at an Inn?  

The Sea Crest is one of Kevin's faves and it's right on Old Silver Beach.  It's only about a 10 minuted drive to downtown Falmouth.  Buzzards Bay, so water is much warmer than outer Cape.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Never figured that chickens would do well in northern climates like this. I guess I never expected to hear about chickens out in single digit temps walking on the snow.

Not bad for a bird descended from the junglefowl of SE Asia.

Some of these hardy breeds would never make it down in the jungle. Most of my birds would rather have 0° than 90°. They can fluff up and find a way to stay warm at 0°. They can find little relief from 90° with dews.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Will evergreen plants recover in the spring if deer have gotten at them? They’ve eaten quite a bit of my azalea and some holly type bushes 

Broadleaf woody plants like those azaleas and hollies should sprout vigorously, unless they were looking sickly this past summer.  If the critters eat your small arborvitae (if you have one) to below the lowest green branch, it's cooked.

40 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Broadleaf woody plants like those azaleas and hollies should sprout vigorously, unless they were looking sickly this past summer.  If the critters eat your small arborvitae (if you have one) to below the lowest green branch, it's cooked.

That's what they did to my hostas last year, some years they eat about half but last year they ate them right to the ground and left little stubs.

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Ice like this only come along every 3 or 4 years.  Definitely improves the winter grade.  Alas we hardly knew ye

20220116_123226_resize_30.thumb.jpg.af373ee60cdc47f47c5cc23a39027bbb.jpg

Damn! Definitely beats the hard ice at Mullins or Greenfield. I had to sharpen my skates at a different level when I started playing in western Mass rinks. 

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks interesting.  I didn’t grow up skating. I’ve done it a few times in my life.  Not very good at it.

I didn't either but a history of skiing does seem to quicken the learning curve.  I would think that some of the kettle ponds in SEMA should be pretty good to go after the next cold shot, if not already.