Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

25 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

We buried my dad today in a nice ceremony. Thank you everyone for your love and support.

Sorry to hear. Glad it was a nice ceremony. Let’s hope we get an awesome stretch of winter wx…it always helps me through a tough time when I can be distracted by my passions.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I notice it most in the younger demographic.  High schoolers, college kids, second job folks.  One of my employees put it perfectly the other day… literally two years ago you couldn’t find a job even at very entry level service positions.  It was “we’ll call you if something opens up” even at a gas station or Dunkin Donuts.  He said it felt like a privilege to have a job. Now in just two years every single business you drive by will hire you on the spot in the service industry for 30% to even 40% more money.

I still haven’t figured it out…what exactly happened.

For my area, it's because the J1 visa students are largely gone. There were hundreds of them here in 2019, and many worked 2-3 jobs. Because of covid, businesses can't pack 20 of them into a house anymore. They are required to have individual private bedrooms, which is impossible for most employers.

Last year was the first time in 18 years that I had to hire local people and it was ungodly stressful and ended in disaster. No good options. High schoolers can't start work until June 20-25ish. College students start leaving August 10-15ish. Adults have basically no interest in a job for only 16 weeks. 

• Like 4

Thanks, everyone.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Condolences man. I’ve thought about you a few times over the past couple of weeks after the whirlwind you’ve been through. I can’t even imagine the emotional rollercoaster you’ve been on.

Yeah, it’s been wild to say the least. Heart attack on my wedding day, surgery a few days before Christmas, and his passing right before the new year. It doesn’t even feel like 2022.

We fulfilled his wishes though. He would have been proud of how quickly we pulled everything together. Still a lot of work to do, but I know he’s at peace now. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sorry to hear. Glad it was a nice ceremony. Let’s hope we get an awesome stretch of winter wx…it always helps me through a tough time when I can be distracted by my passions.  

Yeah, in my reflections today I talked about how my dad embraced and encouraged my love of wx. Every time it snows I’ll be thinking of him. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Happy to see the Bruins break the curse in Washington. Sometimes those visors do more harm than good. Anyone know what the trainer was trying to clog Marchand's nose with? Never seen that before.

Its a coagulant to stop the bleeding, Almost took his nose off with the stick on the way up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Tested positive for COVID this afternoon after testing negative in the morning.

The only difference-I swabbed my throat in the afternoon. 

I got a call from my boss. He started feeling sick Sunday night. Monday morning he felt lousy, but tuesday he was fine. He took a test anyway on Tue afternoon and he’s positive. So we must have been passing it to each other at work. Now I’ve got the wife with coughing fits too. The cron is everywhere.

• Sad 4

I got a call from my boss. He started feeling sick Sunday night. Monday morning he felt lousy, but tuesday he was fine. He took a test anyway on Tue afternoon and he’s positive. So we must have been passing it to each other at work. Now I’ve got the wife with coughing fits too. The cron is everywhere.

Did you wind up getting tested?  

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Did you wind up getting tested?  

Nah. I need to choose a new dr, but just haven’t gotten around to it going back to last fall. The free sites have been booked many days out and I’m not paying for a test when I’m just staying home quarantining anyway. The wife is on my ins and she was able to get a referral for one with her doctor so if she’s positive it’ll be enough confirmation for me.

• Like 1

Nah. I need to choose a new dr, but just haven’t gotten around to it going back to last fall. The free sites have been booked many days out and I’m not paying for a test when I’m just staying home quarantining anyway. The wife is on my ins and she was able to get a referral for one with her doctor so if she’s positive it’ll be enough confirmation for me.

She just tested positive so there ya go.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

My son and ex both have it

• Sad 1