Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

19 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I can’t imagine how disruptive this period has been, especially for high schoolers. 

It has been mostly "normal" for most kids this year.  If someone is positive they miss a week or so.  Most materials, etc are available online so they can do some of the catchup work at home if motivated.    That goodness we are staying in person

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Pretty much as forecast.  Watch the MWRA poop numbers... that is the best way to view how widespread it is in those communities.  Not everyone tests... everyone poops

timing would coincide with when numbers started to drop last year at the same time.  post-holiday surge peaked on Jan 11 last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

True but I’m not sure Tua is even at Tannehill’s level. 

He's nowhere near as good as Tannehill. Tannehill was a marginal top 10 QB even in Miami....but it got overshadowed with the rest of the dumpster fire the roster was.

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It has been mostly "normal" for most kids this year.  If someone is positive they miss a week or so.  Most materials, etc are available online so they can do some of the catchup work at home if motivated.    That goodness we are staying in person

Being in-person seems to be the most meaningful difference from last year.  And yes, the whole pandemic experience is disruptive to kids, but they're also more resilient than people give them credit for, and at times more resilient than adults.  If they positive, resilient adults in their life, they'll definitely make it out of this experience OK.  And if they don't, they'll probably still be OK.  

25/0F

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He's nowhere near as good as Tannehill. Tannehill was a marginal top 10 QB even in Miami....but it got overshadowed with the rest of the dumpster fire the roster was.

I always thought Tannehill was pretty good.  Like you said, sort of on the fringes of a top 10 QB.  I think he could have been better with some decent talent around him.  I actually have a Tannehill autographed football that picked up at a charity silent auction the year before he was traded.  I think I got it for $10 or $15.  Nobody else was bidding on it and I felt sort of sad for him. :lol:

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Boston schools closed for the cold tomorrow :lol:

I guess in previous years this would be surprising but with today's age of remote learning pushed on us by the pandemic, it's not that surprising.

It might also be because lots of delays with school buses, due to driver absences, so they don't want kids standing in the cold for too long.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Boston schools closed for the cold tomorrow :lol:

I guess in previous years this would be surprising but with today's age of remote learning pushed on us by the pandemic, it's not that surprising.

They will treat it as a snow day. No remote learning.  It will be made up in. June

I hope we don’t close.  I want real snow days.  Lol

15 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It might also be because lots of delays with school buses, due to driver absences, so they don't want kids standing in the cold for too long.

Yeah, that's probably more the issue. Good catch. If this happens in 2019 maybe they don't close or just a delay. Was just caught off guard due to not so bad wind chills and temps only down to the single digits and not below 0, at least inside of 128

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Yeah, that's probably more the issue. Good catch. If this happens in 2019 maybe they don't close or just a delay. Was just caught off guard due to not so bad wind chills and temps only down to the single digits and not below 0, at least inside of 128

Yeah. It typically has to be super cold for them to call off school. Jan 2004 etc.  it has happened a couple (3-4?) times since I have taught (2000). But usually wind chills of -20 or so

1 minute ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Bus companies all over the country are severely short staffed, crossing guards too. 

Hard to entice people when you're only offering ~$15/hr part-time, especially in this expensive area.

In MD, many school bus drivers are older retirees who do it part time and it seems many of them opted to simply stop in 2020 given all of the uncertainty and virus risk. Two of my wife’s uncles fall into this category. Hard to find younger folks who want to work those kind of hours. 

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

In MD, many school bus drivers are older retirees who do it part time and it seems many of them opted to simply stop in 2020 given all of the uncertainty and virus risk. Two of my wife’s uncles fall into this category. Hard to find younger folks who want to work those kind of hours. 

Yeah, it's a perfect job for a retiree that wants to stay active and is awake super early anyway.

I think the real issue is the pay for a job with a lot of responsibilities. If they offered something like $20/hr then I think staffing issues would be no more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Yeah, it's a perfect job for a retiree that wants to stay active and is awake super early anyway.

I think the real issue is the pay for a job with a lot of responsibilities. If they offered something like $20/hr then I think staffing issues would be no more.

The company that does Franklin Co pays pretty well, especially when compared to average wages out here.  But yeah, a lot of early retirees work for them and I know many of them called it quits with covid. 

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The company that does Franklin Co pays pretty well, especially when compared to average wages out here.  But yeah, a lot of early retirees work for them and I know many of them called it quits with covid. 

I wonder how many of these retired folks who worked part time and stopped in 2020 account for the “missing gap” they keep talking about in the workforce? People who used to work before 2020 but then suddenly stopped and have not returned. Would explain many of the gaps in hospitality/retail jobs too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I wonder how many of these retired folks who worked part time and stopped in 2020 account for the “missing gap” they keep talking about in the workforce? People who used to work before 2020 but then suddenly stopped and have not returned. Would explain many of the gaps in hospitality/retail jobs too. 

I notice it most in the younger demographic.  High schoolers, college kids, second job folks.  One of my employees put it perfectly the other day… literally two years ago you couldn’t find a job even at very entry level service positions.  It was “we’ll call you if something opens up” even at a gas station or Dunkin Donuts.  He said it felt like a privilege to have a job. Now in just two years every single business you drive by will hire you on the spot in the service industry for 30% to even 40% more money.

I still haven’t figured it out…what exactly happened.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

We buried my dad today in a nice ceremony. Thank you everyone for your love and support.

Sorry for the late condolences but wishing you all the best in your time of mourning. 

It's be 8 yrs since my mom passed coming up in March, and not many days go by that I don't think about her.

I will tell you though that it got easier as time passed on.

:hug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

We buried my dad today in a nice ceremony. Thank you everyone for your love and support.

Condolences man. I’ve thought about you a few times over the past couple of weeks after the whirlwind you’ve been through. I can’t even imagine the emotional rollercoaster you’ve been on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I can’t imagine how disruptive this period has been, especially for high schoolers. 

Eh. Depends on where the district is. My son is a freshman and he’s had a pretty normal year except for the masks. Been in school everyday, fall football went off without a hitch, homecoming dance, etc. Had a remote day last Friday instead of a snow day. He goes to a multi town vo tech highschool. Right now they have 22 active cases out of 1500 kids and staff.  Meh