Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Hello everyone. I come in peace. 

I need you. OT sucks and is full of loser sheltered indoor keyboard warriors who can’t answer my questions. 

Can someone recommend me some snowshoes? I want something mid range budget wise, but will only use them maybe 5 times a year. I have size 10 feet and already have decent boots. I don’t know anything about snowshoes so if you have opinions on what type of binding mechanisms etc, please let them rip.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

I need you. OT sucks and is full of loser sheltered indoor keyboard warriors who can’t answer my questions. 

Can someone recommend me some snowshoes? I want something mid range budget wise, but will only use them maybe 5 times a year. I have size 10 feet and already have decent boots. I don’t know anything about snowshoes so if you have opinions on what type of binding mechanisms etc, please let them rip.

@tamarack and @MaineJayhawk I think both have frequently snowshoed....they should be able to help. Maybe one of our VT peeps I might be forgetting.

1 hour ago, Tezeta said:

I've always used Atlas or MSR.  They are a bit pricey new though.  I've been lucky enough to score my snowshoes used over the years.

1 hour ago, Tezeta said:

I bought some at Costco a few years ago that have been great.  I'm not an expert in any way, shape or form and they have been easy to use with simple bindings and came with good poles.  I think they were Yukon Charlie?  I'll check when I get home.  They were $79 or $89 I think.  

25 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I bought some at Costco a few years ago that have been great.  I'm not an expert in any way, shape or form and they have been easy to use with simple bindings and came with good poles.  I think they were Yukon Charlie?  I'll check when I get home.  They were $79 or $89 I think.  

Me and my wife got a couple pairs there too and they've served us fine for the last 5-6 years, we don't go a lot so it's not heavy wear on them but they look like they're built well.

I’m looking into Costco. I already like a lot of their outdoor options. If they’re anything like the cascade mtn tech poles I have they’d be great. 

MSR is looking alright too. The evos are pretty well rated and only about 140 bucks. In stock at my local REI. 

What about sizes? I see from 22” on up into the 30s. I’ll be hiking in Utah powder mostly. 

10 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

MSR Lightning Ascent for me.  I like 'em

I saw those. I’m trying to be realistic about the types of activities I will be doing in these and I don’t think I will be doing more than rolling hills, valley bottoms, etc. Not much actual climbing. so I am leaning towards less expensive with fewer features for climbing. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I bought some cheap snowshoes on Amazon when I moved up here. I assumed from a lifetime of movies that I would be gracefully walking atop the snow like Legolas the elf, but it''s not quite like that. They do help though and make it bearable to walk in what would otherwise be waist deep snow. 

But you’re fat tho. 

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

I got a pair of Yukon Charlies for Christmas about 20- 25 years ago.  They have been fantastic but now look to be on their last legs.  We bought some basic ones at Job Lot a few years ago and they have done the trick.  Two years ago we picked up a pair of Tubbs and another make as well for $10 each at a local thrift shop.  Been happy with each even though one pair was both left foot shoes.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

So much for "coming in peace."

Plz keep this shit in OT dude.

I’m just messing with you, buddy. I think you are speaking to the same floatation question that was above. I am going to err on the large side because I am powder-bound. 

1 minute ago, Tezeta said:

I’m just messing with you, buddy. I think you are speaking to the same floatation question that was above. I am going to err on the large side because I am powder-bound. 

I am definitely not a lithe ballerina, no doubt. So I would opt for bigger snowshoes for sure. I have very little experience with them so no idea if mine are just shitty and like all hobbies I could spend $1,000 a shoe for pro stuff and glide across the surface of the snow.

44 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

You definitely don't float using snowshoes... you just sink less.

Yes. I don’t have a ton of experience and I’m a novice when it comes to snowshoe equipment knowledge but the pair I have allows me to walk in 2 feet and sink maybe only 6” or so instead of knee or thigh deep. I don’t have very long snowshoes though so I’m sure a longer pair would limit the sinking a bit more. 

Utah powder is blower sh*t though…so I’d expect to sink more in that type of snow than a higher water content New England snow. So anything that allows you to float higher is gonna be worth it out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I bought some cheap snowshoes on Amazon when I moved up here. I assumed from a lifetime of movies that I would be gracefully walking atop the snow like Legolas the elf, but it''s not quite like that. They do help though and make it bearable to walk in what would otherwise be waist deep snow. 

That's what I thought too, the first time I tried them was in 2015 where the was probably close to 4 feet of snow, I sunk down quite a ways, not like in the movies.

• Like 1