Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

16 minutes ago, TimB said:

You only get 3 months where you can reasonably expect to get any appreciable snowfall, and two of them were complete and total garbage this year. Despite a rockin’ January, our only hope to even get to normal snowfall for the season is a 1993 redux in March.

I just can't get too bothered by it anymore.  Of course I want tons of snow and cold for three months, but it's always been unrealistic.  We'll have it again one day, just gotta wait.

3 minutes ago, TimB said:

You only get 3 months where you can reasonably expect to get any appreciable snowfall, and two of them were complete and total garbage this year. Despite a rockin’ January, our only hope to even get to normal snowfall for the season is a 1993 redux in March.

No doubt wasting cold is a disappointment. Getting 5 inches of rain but hitting average or below average temperatures for any winter month could easily be considered frustrating. They are just saying that scenario does not constitute a torch in terms of temperatures. The winter overall to hit average snowfall is needing a more and more extreme storm to make up the difference but nothing we can do about it.

Not saying this to you directly but just in general we all need to just enjoy what snow we do get. We all know our climo here and keeping expectations in check goes a long way towards finding the silver linings. We did have that solid stretch in January with sustained snow cover and several snow globe type days. This hobby really is a what have you done for me lately thing, but you need to roll with the punches, not compare your yard to somewhere that averages double and just make an effort to take a step back and enjoy when things are going well and get outside with the kids / dogs / yourself and take it all in because we all know it won't last. Bickering and arguing over it only makes the atmosphere in the thread childish and miserable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

No doubt wasting cold is a disappointment. Getting 5 inches of rain but hitting average or below average temperatures for any winter month could easily be considered frustrating. They are just saying that scenario does not constitute a torch in terms of temperatures. The winter overall to hit average snowfall is needing a more and more extreme storm to make up the difference but nothing we can do about it.

Not saying this to you directly but just in general we all need to just enjoy what snow we do get. We all know our climo here and keeping expectations in check goes a long way towards finding the silver linings. We did have that solid stretch in January with sustained snow cover and several snow globe type days. This hobby really is a what have you done for me lately thing, but you need to roll with the punches, not compare your yard to somewhere that averages double and just make an effort to take a step back and enjoy when things are going well and get outside with the kids / dogs / yourself and take it all in because we all know it won't last. Bickering and arguing over it only makes the atmosphere in the thread childish and miserable.

You’re right, it didn’t belong in this thread, there’s a complaint thread for a reason. But yeah, these all day rainy days make me grouchy as all hell even in July and even more so during months when it should be snow.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
934 PM EST Thu Feb 24 2022

OHZ049-050-PAZ020-021-029-073-WVZ001>003-250445-
Harrison-Jefferson OH-Beaver-Allegheny-Washington-Westmoreland-
Hancock-Brooke-Ohio-
Including the cities of Cadiz, Steubenville, Aliquippa,
Beaver Falls, Ambridge, Monaca, Pittsburgh Metro Area,
Washington, Canonsburg, Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington,
Lower Burrell, Latrobe, Monessen, Weirton, Follansbee, Wellsburg,
and Wheeling
934 PM EST Thu Feb 24 2022

...Patchy Freezing Rain this Evening...

Freezing rain will be possible this evening in locations where
temperatures have fallen to freezing or below. This will be short-
lived as temperatures will begin to warm over the next several
hours and change precipitation to all rain.

Hazardous travel conditions will be possible over the next several
hours this evening on untreated roads where road temperatures are
below freezing. Otherwise, accumulating ice will be mainly on
elevated surfaces.

Use caution if traveling this morning, and allow extra time to
reach your destination.

5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Look on the bright side this underperformed in a lot of places. Nobody really got anything than 10 inches 

Can’t underperform if you were never in it, lol.

But maybe if someone got .7” of rain instead of .9” it could under perform.  I’ll stay tuned to see if that’s the case.

12 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Can’t underperform if you were never in it, lol.

But maybe if someone got .7” of rain instead of .9” it could under perform.  I’ll stay tuned to see if that’s the case.

I think he means the storm as a whole, across the northeast.

On another note, PIT got 1.07” of rain, which brings our monthly total to 5.10”, making this the 7th wettest February of all time (2018, 1887, 1891, 1956, 1890, 2008*).

*2008 was at 4.97” through 2/28 but recorded 0.48” on the 29th.

14 minutes ago, TimB said:

I think he means the storm as a whole, across the northeast.

On another note, PIT got 1.07” of rain, which brings our monthly total to 5.10”, making this the 7th wettest February of all time (2018, 1887, 1891, 1956, 1890, 2008*).

*2008 was at 4.97” through 2/28 but recorded 0.48” on the 29th.

I know that.  But it’s not an underperformance for us, we weren’t in it.

4 hours ago, TimB said:

No, if anything, it did exactly what it was supposed to. But I think the point is it’s easier to stomach these defeats when there were no big winners.

Not like we got less snow than forecast and the rest of the northeast was over performing.  They underperformed and we weren’t invited to the show.

Hard to envision a scenario where winter isn’t over. We’ve currently had 1.6” from Feb 6 on. Outside of a couple years in the 1880s (which we all know I question the accuracy of), we’ve never had less than 3.6” from February 6 until the end of the snowfall season. Normally I’d say we can pick up 2” in March, but we’ve gotten barely half that the last two years combined and the pattern for this March doesn’t look good.

36 minutes ago, TimB said:

Hard to envision a scenario where winter isn’t over. We’ve currently had 1.6” from Feb 6 on. Outside of a couple years in the 1880s (which we all know I question the accuracy of), we’ve never had less than 3.6” from February 6 until the end of the snowfall season. Normally I’d say we can pick up 2” in March, but we’ve gotten barely half that the last two years combined and the pattern for this March doesn’t look good.

March still has more snow on average than December, even with the most recent 30 year average.

So winters ending with a dud isn’t a long term trend just yet.

I’ll be out of town late next week, so I’ve had that targeted for awhile for a big storm.  ^_^

12 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

March still has more snow on average than December, even with the most recent 30 year average.

So winters ending with a dud isn’t a long term trend just yet.

I’ll be out of town late next week, so I’ve had that targeted for awhile for a big storm.  ^_^

Once 1993 drops out of that average in 2030 it’ll drop significantly. That 34.1 contributes over 1.1” to a 30 year average. 

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Surprised that they didn’t get any accumulations over the last couple days. We had at least a half inch, if not 3/4 of an inch in my backyard. Kind of surprised with the trace yesterday too, as there was certainly a light dusting near the airport which normally means .1 or .2 on the snow board.

If by over you mean an end to any chance if sustained cold / snow cover / all snow events then I'd agree, but also state by this time of year that's probably true a majority of srasons. Definitely still reasonable to expect some overnight coatings or a well timed storm though for the next 6 weeks so not over by that metric.