Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

2 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I guess this will come down to nowcasting and seeing where that mix line is throughout the day. I took off tonight, no desire to drive in the ice and snow.

Agree. Let's throw the models out the window and start nowcasting. How about some observations. 

I was just out and my temp is down to 33.2. Light rain is getting heavier and you can feel the north wind cold. I imagine it will be freezing here before lunch. 

National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
753 AM EST Thu Feb 3 2022

.SYNOPSIS...
An advancing front will stall southeast of Pittsburgh into Friday
and result in a prolonged period of rain, wintry mix, and snow across
the region.

Is this new info? Now seems like NWS thinks the front stalls on the other side of the city. This would give us below freezing temps for much of the area yes?

I really think the temps are going to hold around freezing until late this afternoon. I think there may be some icing today from west to east but the serious stuff will be after dark. Still holding at 33.2. Heading out for an hour or so. Let's try and get some observations. I would like to see what is going on in our western suburbs where the cold is winning out. 

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

33.1° here. Down from 34.2 an hour ago. 

This part to me is even more fun than the tracking, checking obs / now casting. We don't have a lot of experience with this type of situation so it's going to be really interesting to see if models nailed the front getting hung up, or if they are not able to handle the low level cold air bleeding underneath. Typically on the other side of the apps low level cold is underdone and we still have snow pack in most of the area too. So we have that going for a possible quicker temperature drop.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure temperatures don't rise a few degrees while we are under the influence of the weak but not completely inconsequential warm nose.

8 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
753 AM EST Thu Feb 3 2022

.SYNOPSIS...
An advancing front will stall southeast of Pittsburgh into Friday
and result in a prolonged period of rain, wintry mix, and snow across
the region.

Is this new info? Now seems like NWS thinks the front stalls on the other side of the city. This would give us below freezing temps for much of the area yes?

Yeah that’s way different than what the HRRR is showing 

8 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I really think the temps are going to hold around freezing until late this afternoon. I think there may be some icing today from west to east but the serious stuff will be after dark. Still holding at 33.2. Heading out for an hour or so. Let's try and get some observations. I would like to see what is going on in our western suburbs where the cold is winning out. 

We must be in the same neighborhood or you’re using my PWS.

20 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Lull in whatever was falling here in Robinson. No trouble with icing yet. Temp says 33. 

13 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Holding steady at 33.1° for the last 30 minutes.

Check the soundings on the 12z 3K NAM, I used the actual city as my point of reference and it has surface temperature a 33 degrees from 9am until about 9pm.

I'd say let that be your point of reference, if you drop to 32 or colder before that 9pm then maybe we are getting colder faster.

Crazy the front is stuck for 12 hours, then once it passes us seems to have no issue blowing off the coast, really a near miss here if it plays out like that. And when I say near miss I mean from a very impactful ice event. I guess we can prove my theory after the fact if counties just to the west of the Allegheny have severe icing but its more or less nuisance especially from the city east.

14 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Can any confirm what is happening in the areas that are being identified as ZR?

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 9.05.42 AM.png

Same as the other report from Beaver County. Sidewalk and driveway are just wet, but there is a very light glaze now accreting on elevated surfaces (tree branches, pine needles, etc.). I think our typical freezing rain setup is coming out of a deep freeze, where the rain arrives prior to temperatures warming above freezing. In this case, temperatures were in the 40s yesterday so road surfaces seem to be above freezing still. Probably would take a few more hours of below freezing temperatures to get any icing on paved surfaces.

Just now, TheClimateChanger said:

Same as the other report from Beaver County. Sidewalk and driveway are just wet, but there is a very light glaze now accreting on elevated surfaces (tree branches, pine needles, etc.). I think our typical freezing rain setup is coming out of a deep freeze, where the rain arrives prior to temperatures warming above freezing. In this case, temperatures were in the 40s yesterday so road surfaces seem to be above freezing still. Probably would take a few more hours of below freezing temperatures to get any icing on paved surfaces.

Completely agree with this. I wonder if that minimizes the impact until dark for most roads even in the spots where it is below freezing all day. 

35 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I wonder if that minimizes the impact until dark for most roads even in the spots where it is below freezing all day. 

Even minimal insolation can make a difference on road surfaces. I was going north on 79 one overcast day, temp below freezing, with no ice on the road. Suddenly a southbound car spun out into the median, after passing beneath an overpass. As soon as I passed under the same overpass I figured out why--the road was iced over because it was in the shade of the bridge...

• Like 1