Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

11 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Fairly certain this includes sleet. It was like 4-6 inches of snow and 4-6 inches of sleet.

Sleet counts as snowfall in the weather records, so if the snowfall maps are completely excluding sleet they are going to come in too low. Normally, it wouldn't make a big difference as sleet accumulations are typically an inch or less. But the GFS shows several hours of heavy sleet with the snowfall maps (even the 10:1) not detecting any accumulation. If that were to actually occur, then yes, 3, 4, 5 inches of sleet are possible, which are being excluded from the snowfall maps. If you get an inch of QPF to fall as sleet at a 3-5:1 snow to liquid ratio, then that's 3-5 inches of sleet.

Much better look. At hour 84 (Thursday evening), the NAM is now showing freezing rain for many places north of the city. Still think it's way too amped, I can't see this wave of low pressure just bullying that 1050-1055 mb high pressing south from Canada. Normally, the biggest player is the low pressure system. In this case, however, the strongest feature appears to be that high pressure pushing south from Canada. I would think that arctic high would have a huge say-so in the ultimate track of this storm system.

ref1km_ptype.us_ov (1).png

Bring this one home guys. I think we have a ways to go to get back to the hits models were showing 48 hours ago or so. I don't love the set up with cold chasing the precipitation and good agreement we are starting out in the warm sector. Although, I think last winter we had a similar set up where it did work out (Dec 1st?). 

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

GFS looks like its coming in SE again of the 6z run, need to let it play out a bit further to be sure but front looks more West to East at our latitude.

So it looks like about a third of an inch of zr, a ton of sleet, and snowfall that would be warning level in and of itself.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

So it looks like about a third of an inch of zr, a ton of sleet, and snowfall that would be warning level in and of itself.

If it played out like that it would be a pretty rare progression for us and would leave quite a nice pack with staying power I'd imagine. 

2 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Hey I will take it. As of yesterday we were looking at maybe a lot of rain and sleet and very little backend snow. At this point I will take 2-4 and up. No disappointment here because we I wasn't expecting this to be our storm anyway.

I'm with you, I'll gladly take a slop storm in reverse progression...  rn to zr to ip to sn+ lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burghblizz said:

Quite a conveyor belt of moisture with this. And these waves don’t look overly strong. 

It I had to guess, Youngstown does much better than us as far as straight snow, but it really is just a timing issue to get us in the really good stuff. 

You know what at this point if Youngstown gets 15 inches for us to get 8 I will take it. 

2 minutes ago, north pgh said:

You know what at this point if Youngstown gets 15 inches for us to get 8 I will take it. 

But that’s rough, to miss out on the bullseye and an epic storm by 50-75 miles and just get a garden variety 8-12 event. It’d be a topic of discussion in this thread for weeks.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

But that’s rough, to miss out on the bullseye and an epic storm by 50-75 miles and just get a garden variety 8-12 event. It’d be a topic of discussion in this thread for weeks.

I’m some circles…but there is a great complaint thread for that 

Another 8-12” would great, especially considering the best contour in the best model isn’t our “forecast”

This still “feels” a little NW to me for that, but still time. Gotta get that cold air on the march

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I have to respectfully disagree. When you worry about the jackpot city you will always be disappointed. When we received our 20 inch storms in the mid 90's there were people east of me that had 30. Did I worry about that? Not at all. Just trying to stay optimistic. 

• Like 3