Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

9 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

Nah. If we can’t get at least 3 or 4 inches I’d rather get very little. 

That's wild.

The radar looks fine, maybe more north than expoected, but Pittsburgh and Allegheny County should be firmly in accumulating snow.  Let's just enjoy it today. 1-3, 2-4, whatever it will be nice.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I can look at every model and see what it is showing. We know that PIT NWS is slow to adjust on these.

You can't get emotional every time a storm doesn't reach max potential, if that's your low bar you will be disappointed 99% of the time. This has been a 1-3 type deal with maybe a narrow swath of 2-4 from everything I've looked at for a couple days.

There looks to have been a slight North move of the heavier stuff which likely puts areas South of the city closer to the lower end of the range but still within expectations. 1-3 doesn't mean you get three, may you only get the 1. 

NWS may be slow to adjust but they also can't be upgrading / canceling advisories / warnings every 6 hours. Most of the time their consistency pays off but on occasion it does lead to some pretty bad busts. How you react to a storm in terms of preparation isn't really altered if you get 8 instead of 12 or 3 instead of 1.

Anyways, steady light snow has been falling for a about an hour here. Picked up a coating so far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Snow has been pretty weak down here all morning. Really fine and lightly falling. Maybe picked up 1/2” so far. Looks like a band with better returns getting ready to move in. Hopefully can get an inch out of this band.

The jog of 30-50 miles north in the last 24 hours really did a lot of us in. If you look at the HRRR it’s pretty light on additional accumulation especially in the southern half of the county while I’m guessing someone on the butler/slippery rock area might actually approach six inches total.

• Weenie 1

Next clipper also looks to be about 25-50 miles too far north. Maybe that will chance but looks like it will follow the exact same path as this one.

What a freaking awful winter so far. 2-4 today turns into maybe 1.5 inches. Next clipper gives us 1-2 again while north sees 3-5, and out big storm turned in to a run of the mill 6 or 7 inch storm for most of us with a huge dry slot and p type issues.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Next clipper also looks to be about 25-50 miles too far north. Maybe that will chance but looks like it will follow the exact same path as this one.

What a freaking awful winter so far. 2-4 today turns into maybe 1.5 inches. Next clipper gives us 1-2 again while north sees 3-5, and out big storm turned in to a run of the mill 6 or 7 inch storm for most of us with a huge dry slot and p type issues.

We will have gotten a foot in the last 7 days by this evening, weenie. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

you suck

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

We will have gotten a foot in the last 7 days by this evening, weenie. 

I haven’t even come close to that. I got 7 from the last storm and I might get 2 from this. The last storm was an absolute bust and didn’t even hit warning level for me,

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I haven’t even come close to that. I got 7 from the last storm and I might get 2 from this. The last storm was an absolute bust and didn’t even hit warning level for me,

A bust because the pretty color you wanted on the best model didn’t happen. But a widespread 7-10” did which is what was actually forecasted by most.  Storm was fine.  

And yeah, I’m in a good spot today and will be at 13-14” for the week. But NWS I’m sure will wind up with 12” or so. That’s a great winter week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burghblizz said:

A bust because the pretty color you wanted on the best model didn’t happen. But a widespread 7-10” did which is what was actually forecasted by most.  Storm was fine.  

And yeah, I’m in a good spot today and will be at 13-14” for the week. But NWS I’m sure will wind up with 12” or so. That’s a great winter week. 

Great! I’m not at the moon NWS office. I was forecasted to start a foot literally six hours from thee we start of the snow and got 7 inches over like 18 hour. It was a bust of a storm.

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

We've already had 2.5-3 inches?

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Great! I’m not at the moon NWS office. I was forecasted to start a foot literally six hours from thee we start of the snow and got 7 inches over like 18 hour. It was a bust of a storm.

No you weren't you were forecasted 6-12 and they decided to up it at the last minute to 10-12. Their original 6-12 was fine. You just cry about every single inch of snow. 

• Like 2

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
111 PM EST Sun Jan 23 2022

OHZ050-PAZ013>015-020>023-029-031-073-075-WVZ001>003-231945-
Jefferson-Armstrong-Clarion-Greene-Westmoreland-Washington-Allegheny-
Indiana-Butler-Lawrence-Beaver-Fayette-Brooke-Ohio-Hancock-
111 PM EST Sun Jan 23 2022

...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT NORTHEASTERN JEFFERSON...
BEAVER...BUTLER...ALLEGHENY...NORTH CENTRAL GREENE...ARMSTRONG...
SOUTHWESTERN CLARION...NORTHWESTERN FAYETTE...WASHINGTON...SOUTHERN
LAWRENCE...WESTERN INDIANA...WESTERN WESTMORELAND...OHIO...BROOKE AND
HANCOCK COUNTIES...

At 110 PM EST, an area of heavy snow was located along a line
extending from near Slippery Rock to near East Palestine to 6 miles
west of Wellsville. Movement was east at 25 mph.

Locations impacted include...
Pittsburgh, Penn Hills, Mount Lebanon, Bethel Park, Ross Township,
McCandless Township, Monroeville, Cranberry, Moon Township, McMurray,
Greensburg, and Weirton.

This includes the following highways...
  Interstate 70 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 1 and 57.
  Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 16 and 81.
  Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 22 and 96.
  Interstate 376 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 34 and 84.

Visibilities will drop to a half mile or less. A winter weather
advisory is in effect for the area. Please monitor local media
outlets and the national weather service for further statements.

LAT...LON 4081 7914 4050 7928 4018 7951 4003 7993
      3996 8039 4043 8078 4105 7994 4102 7962
TIME...MOT...LOC 1810Z 258DEG 20KT 4107 8013 4081 8044 4058 8078

$$

Winter Weather Advisory

10 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

No you weren't you were forecasted 6-12 and they decided to up it at the last minute to 10-12. Their original 6-12 was fine. You just cry about every single inch of snow. 

Their graphic had a foot right over the city and me. I got 7 inches. It was a bad bust of a storm especially since just about every model except one had us getting a foot plus until about 24 hours out.

• Weenie 1