Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

19 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Nice regional breakdown of updated totals. Mostly 8+ In the immediate Pgh area. You can see our 12+ that just slid west, but also where the lower totals were SE.

image.png.1545b4f1b12122d466ffafde8873354d.png

That looks pretty close to NWS forecast. We knew the higher totals where likely to be NW. Last night I thought this might bust, but it didn't, it was maybe on the lower end of the ranges but you don't just look at the biggest number and run with it. You can lament the what ifs / what could have been or just enjoy what we got. 

I experienced 2 different heavy bands of snow, met the range of snow forecast, it's cold and snowing still after the storm. I'd call that a win 

34 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Yeah, the county got 6-8 inches. Ross there was a report of 7 inches and that sounds about right....however we did not hit warning criteria on snow as that is 6 inches in 12 hours.

Hey, maybe one day we can actually get a storm where we don't look 50 miles away and they get significantly more snow.

I think 6" should be warning regardless of storm duration, especially in the City, as they never clean streets, so it stays dangerous for long periods of time.

Based on the number of 8” and 9” reports in AGC, it definitely hit the “8 in 24 hr” warning criteria in Allegheny and certainly Beaver and Butler. The public forecasts were very much validated, even if on the low to mid side. 

I also thought eastern suburbs did what I thought. Just thought city and west would avoid the dry slot, but wasn’t meant to be. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wstaude said:

I measured 5.5" in the West End. It's compacted a bit from the sleet, but I suspect not very much since the sleet came early in the event.

Staying up to watch the snow and hearing tinking sounds at 12:30AM made me a bit physically ill. :(

Not gonna lie, I was stewing most of the evening.

Had to step away, and catch up on some streaming. Lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I’m sure there are houses for sale in Beaver County, where it snows more than it does here, you just have to look.

I moved to Cranberry this past year (SW corner of Butler county, but only a few miles from Beaver border).

No, snow wasn’t the reason, but being a little shielded from the WTOD was in the back of my mind :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the end, 6-12" ended up being the right call.  We didn't hit the maxima in terms of potential, but all the warning signs were there.  Sleet and wind cut down on ratios and snow growth.  As I stated a couple days ago, we needed that reinforcement shot of cold air to keep the 850s from roasting.  We just didn't have the proper placement of high pressure to prevent it.  I'd have to double check but I imagine the upper level low also gained more latitude than modeled.

27 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Serious question before I step away, how many blizzard warnings in the past 30 years has Pittsburgh had??? Seems like we have trouble getting the extreme winds with heavy snow being so far away from the coast.

‘93 of course. Westmoreland and Fayette had them during the second (smaller) storm in February 2010. While the totals were more modest than the first one, the winds were howling. Before ‘93, it would have been one of the Jan ‘78 storms. And before that, Nov ‘50, unless one of those bigger ones in the 60’s had the criteria. But of course those days were different as far as warnings and criteria.

But I’d say that’s a quarter century type happening. 

15 hours ago, north pgh said:

If the NAM called this so far we have to be optimistic that it will verify over night. I'm still thinking between 1:00 am and mid morning we will be pleasantly surprised with some more.

14 hours ago, north pgh said:

The NAM shows the dry slot filling in around 1:00 am and steady snow until lunch time tomorrow. It looks like 1/2 inch an hour rates which would get us there. Hey it's been the best model by far.

The NAM did a great job of nailing this storm. (I also did not want to believe it when all along it was the only model defining the dry slot and mixing. We all fall into the trap of rooting for the model that scores best for our area and throwing out the worst)

For all the old-timers like myself I always remember the "great Joe DeNardo" saying he never started quoting snow amounts until 24-48 hours before a storm and this is why. Now TWC and all the local mets are posting model maps that are all over the place with snow totals and it gets the public and all of us excited and scared for a storm. There is more than a snow map on a model and we all know how our topography factors in. As much as some of us our disappointed the NWS knows more than us and they were not perfect but the 1-3 and 5-9 overnight ended up pretty decent calls. 

After the way this winter has gone ... I have 7-8 inches of snow on the ground and in the air and it's cold. Let's enjoy it till the next one. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, north pgh said:

The NAM did a great job of nailing this storm. (I also did not want to believe it when all along it was the only model defining the dry slot and mixing. We all fall into the trap of rooting for the model that scores best for our area and throwing out the worst)

For all the old-timers like myself I always remember the "great Joe DeNardo" saying he never started quoting snow amounts until 24-48 hours before a storm and this is why. Now TWC and all the local mets are posting model maps that are all over the place with snow totals and it gets the public and all of us excited and scared for a storm. There is more than a snow map on a model and we all know how our topography factors in. As much as some of us our disappointed the NWS knows more than us and they were not perfect but the 1-3 and 5-9 overnight ended up pretty decent calls. 

After the way this winter has gone ... I have 7-8 inches of snow on the ground and in the air and it's cold. Let's enjoy it till the next one. 

To be fair the NWS threw the NAM out too.

8 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

This is a very good point. It was remarkable watching the trend in the storm track from run to run. Before we knew it the track was straight up the apps.

I actually ignored the storm for awhile, because I saw how far south it was and figured it never make it up to us.  Can't count it out this year I guess.