Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

17 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

TO get off my doom and gloom about the storm, I do want to say I really do miss the old NWS radar. The snapshot of it you see before you click into it is still the old radar so I generally just zoom in on my phone.

I seriously HATE this newer radar. Awful

• Like 1

Just now, TimB84 said:

Next panel has a few spots of red.

I know I'm going to get killed for this but that is basically right over I-70, and I am looking at the traffic cams and it should be a whiteout. Looks like it is not all snow. Hopefully as it pushes north the column will cool.

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

This is either very heavy snow or heavy sleet.

45A757F1-346C-4BE1-B087-E4461B2ABAFB.png

My childhood traumas kicking in. I remember a storm from either 04 or 05. It was forecasted as 6-10". Jeff V had a special cut in about a swath of snow that would produce 1" hour rates. It came in as sleet and remained sleet the entire storm hah 

I don't think we have to worry about that. This initial batch is just bonus snow, and it could be substantial no doubt. But the real show we'll be that deformation band or bands north and west of Pittsburgh overnight. And that should be all snow, might even get somewhat higher ratios in the mix as the night wears on. I think the deformation band alone could bring up to a foot of snow or more to some spots. I would expect some storm totals in excess of 20" are possible, especially in NW PA.

Just now, TheClimateChanger said:

I don't think we have to worry about that. This initial batch is just bonus snow, and it could be substantial no doubt. But the real show we'll be that deformation band or bands north and west of Pittsburgh overnight. And that should be all snow, might even get somewhat higher ratios in the mix as the night wears on. I think the deformation band alone could bring up to a foot of snow or more to some spots. I would expect some storm totals in excess of 20" are possible, especially in NW PA.

Yeah except we are likely to miss most of the deform band here. This initial push was supposed to be a large portion of our accumulation and if we get 3 inches from it instead of 6 that will greatly reduce our overall total.