Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

16 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Actually, the NAM is still pretty bad. Amazingly it has the best snows almost out in freaking dayton OH, and going through Youngstown and Cleveland. 

It's absurd there could be a 200 mile difference between the HRRR and NAM. Luckily the NAM is massively on its own.

The NAM is not terrible. Hardly any mixing. Yes, there’s a dry slot after a 4” front end thump, then it fills in and drops another 5”+. I’d say it caved.

17 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Actually, the NAM is still pretty bad. Amazingly it has the best snows almost out in freaking dayton OH, and going through Youngstown and Cleveland. 

It's absurd there could be a 200 mile difference between the HRRR and NAM. Luckily the NAM is massively on its own.

NAM is a little more east. By tomorrow morning 12z it will come in line with the others. ;)

• Like 2

Just now, Mailman said:

We shall see.

Damn... That deform band lined up in eastern ohio. Man, how sweet would that be. 

Looks like most models have set that deform band a little further west than the metro area. Could totally see it moving a little east, but we will see. 

For the record, I would absolutely take 15+

Interesting thing i noticed here. The temps have consistently been lower than forecasted for. Thats a good sign that the cold air is a little more stubborn than the models are predicting. Obviously this is different at 850 than at the surface, but still thought it was interesting to see the temps are starting colder than forecasted

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.49.37 PM.png

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

Interesting thing i noticed here. The temps have consistently been lower than forecasted for. Thats a good sign that the cold air is a little more stubborn than the models are predicting. Obviously this is different at 850 than at the surface, but still thought it was interesting to see the temps are starting colder than forecasted

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 11.49.37 PM.png

Could you say that the cold air has snuck down a little farther south

• Like 1

Lol, like all 4 of us just had the same thought at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I want the death band 

5 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

so bad

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

This really does have the potential to be a top 10 all time storm for us

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I really hope we can get that to slide SE, crazy stuff can happen in those deform bands if your really looking for 12+

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ruin said:

Could you say that the cold air has snuck down a little farther south

Also worth noting. Again, these are just some observations. The NAM (3K)which is our furthest west solution is struggle with certain key features only 4 hours off of its run time. 

First the temperature. Temps are significantly colder than what the NAM (3K) modeled for 4z.

Forecasted 4z                                                                           Actual 4z

1409941777_ScreenShot2022-01-16at12_00_27AM.png.44589164501d6e912ab6d371091972bb.png1513923901_ScreenShot2022-01-16at12_01_39AM.png.5425154a2460663622c1cd0dea48c175.png