Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

My takeaway from the NAM is juicier.

Puts some big totals north and west of the city, and somehow has a little bullseye of .50 freezing rain over my house (but not north, south, east or west)

Not sure if that’s a function of it struggling at long range, or picking up on something. My guess is that there some brief warming from the inland low, and the totals differ based on the how much QPF there is during that period. So it looks wonky.

I hope we have a nice fat swath of straight snow by tommorow. 

2 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Puts some big totals north and west of the city, and somehow has a little bullseye of .50 freezing rain over my house (but not north, south, east or west)

Not sure if that’s a function of it struggling at long range, or picking up on something. I hope we have a nice fat swath of straight snow by tommorow. 

Yep, gives us like 8 inches of snow and a bunch of ice. That would be fairly awful.

1 hour ago, Burghblizz said:

Not sure if that’s a function of it struggling at long range, or picking up on something. My guess is that there some brief warming from the inland low, and the totals differ based on the how much QPF there is during that period. So it looks wonky.

I hope we have a nice fat swath of straight snow by tommorow. 

I'm not buying that mixed precip yet. I get that the mid level low will be transfering and depending on how long that takes some warm air will be moving in at the 850 level. That being said, the surface will be at 22°F at the time the NAM shows 33° at the 850. Thats a crazy and ridiculous gradient. I'm not saying that is cannot happen, it certainly has, but that is pretty rare to see that kind of disparity. At least im hoping it is...

3 minutes ago, Ecanem said:

I know you say this. But storms always seem to shift east at the last minute.  At least we are in that zone now. 

I'm also totally basing this off of wishcasting and the fact that every meteorologist on the planet still has the main axis of precip east of the city.  The CMC run has me hyped right now though.

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

I'm also totally basing this off of wishcasting and the fact that every meteorologist on the planet still has the main axis of precip east of the city.  The CMC run has me hyped right now though.

I’ve seen some still question a coastal track. That seems so dead to me at this point. 

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA 409 AM EST Fri Jan 14 2022
OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029- 031-073>076-WVZ001>004-012-021-509>514-141900- /O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0001.220116T1800Z-220117T1800Z/ Tuscarawas-Carroll-Columbiana-Coshocton-Harrison-Jefferson OH- Muskingum-Guernsey-Belmont-Noble-Monroe-Mercer-Venango-Forest- Lawrence-Butler-Clarion-Jefferson PA-Beaver-Allegheny-Armstrong- Indiana-Washington-Greene-Westmoreland-Higher Elevations of Westmoreland-Fayette-Higher Elevations of Fayette-Hancock-Brooke- Ohio-Marshall-Wetzel-Marion-Monongalia-Ridges of Eastern Monongalia and Northwestern Preston-Preston-Eastern Preston- Western Tucker-Eastern Tucker- Including the cities of Sharon, Parsons, Canonsburg, Thomas, New Kensington, Punxsutawney, Caldwell, Pittsburgh Metro Area, New Martinsville, Greensburg, Hendricks, Steubenville, Ligonier, Indiana, Butler, Beaver Falls, Aliquippa, Bruceton Mills, Coshocton, Terra Alta, Champion, Hermitage, Coopers Rock, Grove City, Murrysville, Weirton, St. Clairsville, Rowlesburg, Tionesta, Carrollton, Kittanning, Woodsfield, Moundsville, Malvern, Ford City, Morgantown, Ohiopyle, Ambridge, Kingwood, Hazelton, Cadiz, Oil City, Clarion, Uniontown, Latrobe, Ellwood City, Monessen, Columbiana, Canaan Valley, East Liverpool, Davis, Monaca, Wheeling, Wellsburg, Dover, New Castle, Lower Burrell, Cambridge, Saint George, Donegal, Zanesville, New Philadelphia, Washington, Waynesburg, Fairmont, Martins Ferry, Salem, Brookville, Follansbee, and Franklin 409 AM EST Fri Jan 14 2022 ...

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow possible. Total snow accumulations between 4 and 9 inches possible.

* WHERE...Portions of east central Ohio. Portions of northwest, southwest, and western Pennsylvania. Portions of northern and the northern panhandle of West Virginia.

* WHEN...From Sunday afternoon through Monday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the Monday morning commute. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation. &&

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1