Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

1 hour ago, Gordo74 said:

WTAE picked up on it this morning with only a vague “could be potentially looking at a significant snowfall event, but still too early to tell and you will hear it here first” tagline.

Wunderground showed 4” last night, 6” this morning for the same time period.

KDKA gave the same line, but showed the GFS, no totals though, obviously.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

KDKA gave the same line, but showed the GFS, no totals though, obviously.

The grocery store was fairly empty (people, not shelves, other than the normal supply chain stuff we’re faced with these days) last night. Glad I went before the local media hype.

1 hour ago, dj3 said:

UKMET and EURO are still east enough that I think ground truth ending up between the GFS and other models would leave us happy. We are always walking a fine line, 24 hours ago we needed a huge west shift to even be in the game. We get it, and now we're already worrying about mixing haha.

That's what is keeping me cautiously optimistic.  Ensembles aren't as far west, but ticking into good territory.

Just now, Ahoff said:

That's what is keeping me cautiously optimistic.  Ensembles aren't as far west, but ticking into good territory.

A lot of the western tracks on the ensembles (GFS and EURO only ones I looked at this morning) are actually pretty big hits for us. The mean isn't higher because there are still a decent number of suppressed solutions and misses east. 

12Z nudged east just slightly, which at least ends the northwest trend.  For now that's good.

The snowfall maps are wonky but don't worry about those too much.  The GFS is generally poor at mesoscale features and placement.  This system looks to have some intense frontogenic forcing and deform banding.  I also don't think this storm has that high-end of a potential.  8-12" is probably the appropriate ceiling.  It's not a 24-hour storm, which is what we need to see those historic numbers.  The bulk of the snow is done in 12 hours, give or take.

9 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Cut back on precip totals some, especially east of the city. Still a nice run for now. 

GFS has the primary holding on to long, so that area gets a double whammy, 1st there are mixing issues there, 2nd that area gets caught in a dryslot as the dying low transfers over. Overall get that to happen quicker / further south like the ICON and problem solved.

25 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, that's still not a bad run.  We can't expect to see 18"+ on every run, need to temper expectation, lol.

I am only settling for the top 3 GEFS ensemble members @MikeB_01 posted this morning due to them being higher than the spread of the Steeler game on Sunday night. I will adjust my expectations accordingly if we are winning at halftime :P

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

GFS has the primary holding on to long, so that area gets a double whammy, 1st there are mixing issues there, 2nd that area gets caught in a dryslot as the dying low transfers over. Overall get that to happen quicker / further south like the ICON and problem solved.

Thanks. Yea I'd gladly take what it is showing regardless, especially with the cold look afterwards any significant accumulations will be awesome. 

3 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Canadian is a crusher for us too. I'm scared to be in the bullseye this far out. I_nw_EST_2022011212_114.png

Everyone buckle up... Right now we are in the drivers seat. We know that models waffle and this one definitely will. Prepare for some shifts in either way and hope that it comes back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I'm definitely worried about that too.  Still looks like ensembles have room to move west before it's too much though.

I can certainly remember times we went from a storm that missed us east to a storm that turned us to rain changing on the models in the span of two days.