Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

16 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Finally, a death knell for winter. The sandhill cranes were honking their way back north today. A good sign.

I saw a flock a couple of days ago and had my first robin singing to me this morning as I went into the office (well, not exactly singing, but making the noise they make when they're pissed off at you).

• Haha 3

On 2/23/2022 at 2:40 PM, CheeselandSkies said:

When I was a kid I read Laura Ingalls Wilder's Prairie series including "The Long Winter," which describes massive, sudden blizzards in the Dakotas occurring seemingly every few days from October 1880 to March 1881. I want to know what a winter like that would look like in the present day; on forecast models and real-time weather products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard#The_Snow_Winter_of_1880–1881

I'm a big Laura ingalls Wilder fan. Both of books and even the TV show is a guilty pleasure that I watch sometimes. "The Long Winter" is my favorite book. It's so crazy to read those stories although some of it obviously is embellished. Remember she wrote it as an adult. Storms don't last for in 6 days lol. All that said I would have loved to see how the models wouldve handled that Winter.

The 93.6" of snow that fell at Detroit in 1880-81 stood as the snowiest Winter on record until 2013-14 when 94.9" fell. In those early days of weather records, snow depth records were not kept however from what I gather locally the snow was very deep in early February but then several rainstorms caused a mess before more heavy snows came. The very following Winter, 1881-82 was incredibly warm and snowless. To this day, it stands as Detroit's 2nd least snowy Winter at 13.2", although I can deduce that there were even less days with snow on the ground then Detroit's all time number one low of 12.9" in 1936-37. More impressive than the lack of snow however was the warmth. The Winter of 1881-82 is by far the warmest Winter on record for Detroit, a full 1.2 degree warmer than number #2. It's a record I doubt will ever be broken. If you read the following book in the Laura Ingalls Wilder series you will see that preparations for another hard Winter were taken very seriously in autumn 1881 with the previous Winter still in their minds and then she makes comments how there ended up being no Winter (the weather/Winter was not the subject of that book so it's just made in passing commentary).

• Like 3

Drove past a few gas stations and they are all over $4/gallon... that is about the highest I can remember it being around here.  Wouldn't be surprised if the more expensive areas reach $5 in the not too distant future.

We're living through some interesting times.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Drove past a few gas stations and they are all over $4/gallon... that is about the highest I can remember it being around here.  Wouldn't be surprised if the more expensive areas reach $5 in the not too distant future.

All of the stations in the Ft. Wayne area are at $4.00 today (well, technically $3.999 lol). I remember in 2011-'12 it hovered at around $3.80 for a prolonged period of time.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Been using 93 the past few years (tuned Ecoboost F-150), but I took the tune out and will be using 87 until the prices come back down.  Wouldn't have messed with it, but figured the prices will go up even more for awhile, unfortunately.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I think I heard this story once before, although the date on the article is current. So did Casey just abandon it on some random Kansas farm and the owner didn't notice for 10 years?

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I think I heard this story once before, although the date on the article is current. So did Casey just abandon it on some random Kansas farm and the owner didn't notice for 10 years?

Apparently, although the article ambiguous/fuzzy about that.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother drove to New Orleans to visit a friend and left New Orleans yesterday to stay in Tennessee for a couple days before heading home.  I had been monitoring the wx situation and told her to leave as early as possible yesterday morning to try to avoid driving in any questionable wx.  Other than encountering heavy rain, things went ok as she stayed out ahead of the severe storms that were moving through MS yesterday morning/afternoon.  Sometimes it pays to pay attention.  Pretty remarkable what happened around NO though, as they experienced one of the strongest tornadoes to ever hit that immediate area.   

On 3/15/2022 at 2:01 PM, snowcaine said:

I'm probably late to the party here, I haven't been very active on here the last few years, but has anyone else noticed that the GFS has been particularly bad this winter?

It has always been bad IMO.  It had a few good years, then it went back to its normal bullsh*ttery.  

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

There was a horrific 50-car crash in Pennsylvania today from a snow squall. We had a similar 50+ car pileup in February but luckily nobody died. Unfortunately 3 died in Pennsylvania today. These are happening every Winter anymore. I do not understand why people drive full speed when there's a white out.

Those pileups are the main reason that NWS added snow squall warnings to their repertoire. However, people who drive headlong into a white out are the same people who pay no attention to NWS warnings.

• Like 1

Historic storm coming for parts of ND :snowman::

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Bismarck ND
228 PM CDT Mon Apr 11 2022

NDZ001>005-009>013-120400-
/O.CON.KBIS.BZ.W.0005.220413T0000Z-220415T0000Z/
Divide-Burke-Renville-Bottineau-Rolette-Williams-Mountrail-Ward-
McHenry-Pierce-
Including the cities of Parshall, Glenburn, Dunseith, Sherwood,
Minot, New Town, Columbus, Shell Valley, St. John, Portal,
Lignite, Rugby, Rolette, Drake, Towner, Velva, Mohall, Bowbells,
Rolla, Crosby, Powers Lake, Stanley, Williston, and Bottineau
228 PM CDT Mon Apr 11 2022

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM TUESDAY TO 7 PM CDT
THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow and blizzard conditions expected. Total snow
  accumulations between 12 and 24 inches, with locally higher
  amounts up to 30 inches possible. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...Northwest and north central North Dakota.

* WHEN...From 7 PM Tuesday to 7 PM CDT Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will become very difficult to impossible.
  Widespread blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Travel should be restricted to emergencies only. If you must travel,
have a winter survival kit with you. Notify a friend or family
member of your travel plans. If you get stranded, stay with your
vehicle. The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.
  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Point forecast for Minot ND…wow

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Steady temperature around 26. Windy, with a northeast wind around 26 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible. 
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 22. Windy, with a north wind 25 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible. 
Wednesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 29. Windy, with a north wind 28 to 38 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible. 
Wednesday Night
Snow. Widespread blowing snow, mainly between 9pm and 1am. Low around 19. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Looks like much of ND ended up with 18-30" of snow.  Highest report so far is Glenburn at 30.5", with 3 NNW Minot at 30"...and it's still snowing.

Record low max temps could be shattered tomorrow, and record lows could be shattered on Saturday morning.  Here is Bismarck, as an example:

- 4/15 record low max 32, set in 2011; forecast high 25

- 4/16 record low 10, set in 1953; forecast low 7

• Weenie 1

Not sure if any stats are available on this...but INL has to be close to their all-time record for consecutive days with 3" of snow cover. 

Snow depth was 3" on 11/12/21, peaked at 26" on 2/22/22, and was still 11" on 4/13/22.  That's 152 consecutive days, and counting.

With chilly temps in the near-term forecast, the streak could continue until April 20th...or even a bit later.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Looks like much of ND ended up with 18-30" of snow.  Highest report so far is Glenburn at 30.5", with 3 NNW Minot at 30"...and it's still snowing.

Record low max temps could be shattered tomorrow, and record lows could be shattered on Saturday morning.  Here is Bismarck, as an example:

- 4/15 record low max 32, set in 2011; forecast high 25

- 4/16 record low 10, set in 1953; forecast low 7

Impressive