Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

18 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Next week's system is the second straight big storm caving south of Iowa.  We got no snow before December 28th and essentially nothing after January 16th.  What the hell kind of winter is that?  :axe:

Yeah it's been a rough stretch.  On the bright side we're building some good weather karma I guess lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It has now been one month since my area has even been teased by a decent event (being in the good snow 6-7 days out doesn't count).  I've received 0.9" of snow over that period.  It's not easy to get <1" from mid January to mid February.

Not sure what's worse being out of it early or getting the shaft late in the game repeatedly.

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

Late in the game.  Nothin like dashing your hopes as game time approaches.

That last system was one of the worst to endure for me personally lol.  From several days out could kind of see the writing on the wall and it looked like we'd get narrowly missed, but the fact that it was such widespread event made missing it worse.  Then to top it off there was nothing else to look at in the 10 day period, brutal. 

Getting grazed by this weeks storm sucks, but doesn't bother me even close to as bad as GHD3.

3 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Not sure what's worse being out of it early or getting the shaft late in the game repeatedly.

Being teased with significant snow for days only to have the rug pulled out at the last minute is WAY worse than being out of it early.  Each of the last two big systems I was confident I was completely out of it with four days to go, so I was able to relax and not worry about anything.

Getting missed is no big deal.  It's a dud winter.  I posted before winter that my area was due for a dud.  It happens.  There will be other winters, other storms.  

• Like 4

FYI for all of you who are pros, degreed, informed enthusiasts etc. I just wanted to say again I appreciate the work you do putting together informative posts with detailed reasoning for events like those forecast for today and tomorrow. Our company is in the field every day, and what may or may not happen weatherwise impacts not only our safety but what it is responsible for us to attempt given the timing and potential conditions.  Your discussion helps me understand what is coming from the traditional news media, consumer grade weather apps, and the NWS. All in all your disco frequently exceeds in quality the commentary from the commercial forecast service our company retains.

Lastly, I can’t say enough how much I value the NWS, its high quality products, communication and the willingness of its professional staff to discuss its thinking in its AFDs as well as informally on places like this board

• Like 11

On 2/15/2022 at 5:14 PM, WestMichigan said:

Late in the game.  Nothin like dashing your hopes as game time approaches.

Looks like one good lake effect event is all we get this year.  Lots of clippers missing north and all the big dogs missing south.  A big wet slop is still possible at some point but deep winter is over.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Yup, I was 20 in 2006 when I started posting over at Eastern. Now I'm 35.  Time waits for no one.

2 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Not sure where to put this but I’m curious to know the origins of this sun forum I know good chunk of y’all been around for awhile. I feel honored to be around such knowledge :D:weenie:

I pulled canuck's post from the storm thread in here since you mentioned it. I began posting around 2003 before Eastern on what I believe was WWBB and I still don't know shit about meteorology, but there are plenty here that do know their stuff and some of them have been around longer than me.
I'd try to name them, but I'm sure that I'd leave somebody out.

Wow, it made me realize that there are a few of us that have known each other here for almost 20 years. Crazy.

• Like 1

Not hard to see why I kinda vanished. Same crap different year. BORING! 

There is nothing worth getting excited over with winter weather in this area. It is nearly the same exact results with every system in this region. No big dogs ever and thus 18+ unless you wanna go back 40+ years here. Oh they have happened but have affected a very few across the region as a whole. Over performing decent events (10+) near impossible. Cannot even recall the last time a advisory event ended up a warning and thus a advisory that over performed and ended up a warning level event. Nearly everything ( 8+ ) on models inside of 36-48 hrs ends up under performing. Not all but most. Forget 12+. 

Ofcourse climo doesn't lie. I think having Jan 67 and 78 here ( Was no such event back to 1890s ) did the deed. 2 100+ year events in the span of 11 years has mostly likely put the cap on seeing a repeat ( 24+.. heck probably can just say 20+ ) for the next 60-100+ years. So yeah gotta get use to climo here and keep expectations very low. Ofcourse again that's boring. 

These annoying 2-4/3-5 events ( and smaller ) do zero for me unless it's like 13-14 and building on deep snows already on the ground. It's nice for early season first snow but that's about it. 

But yeah this south trending crap to south of here needs to cease. I would rather a nw trend and miss to the nw with all rain. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Not hard to see why I kinda vanished. Same crap different year. BORING! 

There is nothing worth getting excited over with winter weather in this area. It is nearly the same exact results with every system in this region. No big dogs ever and thus 18+ unless you wanna go back 40+ years here. Oh they have happened but have affected a very few across the region as a whole. Over performing decent events (10+) near impossible. Cannot even recall the last time a advisory event ended up a warning and thus a advisory that over performed and ended up a warning level event. Nearly everything ( 8+ ) on models inside of 36-48 hrs ends up under performing. Not all but most. Forget 12+. 

Ofcourse climo doesn't lie. I think having Jan 67 and 78 here ( Was no such event back to 1890s ) did the deed. 2 100+ year events in the span of 11 years has mostly likely put the cap on seeing a repeat ( 24+.. heck probably can just say 20+ ) for the next 60-100+ years. So yeah gotta get use to climo here and keep expectations very low. Ofcourse again that's boring. 

These annoying 2-4/3-5 events ( and smaller ) do zero for me unless it's like 13-14 and building on deep snows already on the ground. It's nice for early season first snow but that's about it. 

But yeah this south trending crap to south of here needs to cease. I would rather a nw trend and miss to the nw with all rain. 

I am not disagreeing with you though IMBY I have had a bit better luck getting in the bigger storm totals.

The reason I left is the constant model disappointment (plus I had too many things on my plate but that is whole other story). 

I loved the surprises we got in the 70s-90s (even into the 00s).  The forecast of 40s and rain and then wake up to several inches of snow.  Of course the the other way around happened too.  Let's face it we are not really surprised like that at all any more.   We have model after model output every hour of the day.  Then every significant snowstorm seems to have Kuchera output at some point of 20-30+ inches with it shifting just enough to give hope to many but leaving most people  disappointed in the end.  Models are great but the output is mostly unrealistic.  

I totally agree about this south trend (NW trend was easier to deal with for some reason).  In recent winters it really seems the model updates have caused the models to make every storm more significant and then weaken them as we approached reality time.  I think/wonder that it also has to do with phasing.  We have not had one of those classic well phased snowstorm in this area in the past few years.

A big dog will hit us.  Problem is the models will make the big dog into beyond historic storm.  

• Like 2

Just now, cyclone77 said:

Seeing the same people who just got pounded a few weeks ago making rejoiceful posts in the current thread while we get scraps, yet again lol...

gdd.jpg

we lived through misery for years. Take one on the chin bud, we did :P

All jokes aside, I did not expect these conditions until About 24 hours ago, in fact I welcomed the northern crew getting the love. It’s fun outside, legit blizzard right now, okay okay I’m rubbing it in. Drinking a yummy ipa and just started the wood burning stove with a hot batch and of chili. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Seeing the same people who just got pounded a few weeks ago making rejoiceful posts in the current thread while we get scraps, yet again lol...

gdd.jpg

Hopefully the 21st-22nd can trend south and bring good snow, because it'd probably get me too given the orientation of it.  ;)  But not optimistic that one will come far enough south.  

This is a perfect AFD - from Grand Forks ND.  It's good because they accept winter and that's just how it is - not like us in the tropics where everyone freaks out if wind chills are sub-zero or if there's a bit of snow.  It's comical, really, how we overreact to the most minor wintry conditions down here...in winter.

The best part is being excited about getting some relief, because wind chills are only in the -30s instead of the -40s. :snowman:

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Grand Forks ND
648 AM CST Wed Feb 23 2022

.UPDATE...
Issued at 645 AM CST Wed Feb 23 2022

Batch of high clouds exiting eastern ND into northern MN at 12z.
Otherwise clear, temps -15 to -30F. Winds are pretty light and
keeping most wind chills in the -30s instead of -40s. But not
going to split hairs and will keep the WC warning out as winds
should increase 1-3 kts after sunrise and temps slow to warm.

&&

.SHORT TERM...(Today through Thursday)
Issued at 242 AM CST Wed Feb 23 2022

A quiet short term period, which we haven't had in quite a while.
High pressure will be moving slowly east and be over the area
tonight into Thursday as winds continue to lighten. Cold airmass
under the high will remain in place, though it will get slowly
modified over the coming couple days. Winds early this morning are
quite light over NE ND and NW MN (5 kts or less) and thus wind
chills are not too extreme mostly -20s and -30s. As temps drop
more thru daybreak still a chance they get into warning wind
chill range, but overall not as bad as this time yesterday.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

This is a perfect AFD - from Grand Forks ND.  It's good because they accept winter and that's just how it is - not like us in the tropics where everyone freaks out if wind chills are sub-zero or if there's a bit of snow.  It's comical, really, how we overreact to the most minor wintry conditions down here...in winter.

The best part is being excited about getting some relief, because wind chills are only in the -30s instead of the -40s. :snowman:

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Grand Forks ND
648 AM CST Wed Feb 23 2022

.UPDATE...
Issued at 645 AM CST Wed Feb 23 2022

Batch of high clouds exiting eastern ND into northern MN at 12z.
Otherwise clear, temps -15 to -30F. Winds are pretty light and
keeping most wind chills in the -30s instead of -40s. But not
going to split hairs and will keep the WC warning out as winds
should increase 1-3 kts after sunrise and temps slow to warm.

&&

.SHORT TERM...(Today through Thursday)
Issued at 242 AM CST Wed Feb 23 2022

A quiet short term period, which we haven't had in quite a while.
High pressure will be moving slowly east and be over the area
tonight into Thursday as winds continue to lighten. Cold airmass
under the high will remain in place, though it will get slowly
modified over the coming couple days. Winds early this morning are
quite light over NE ND and NW MN (5 kts or less) and thus wind
chills are not too extreme mostly -20s and -30s. As temps drop
more thru daybreak still a chance they get into warning wind
chill range, but overall not as bad as this time yesterday.

download (9).png

• Haha 2

Grand Forks has done fine snow wise, but areas of the Dakotas have had VERY LITTLE snow this season. Many winters there are parts of the northern plains that are a barren wasteland of bitter cold and little to no snow. Many below zero days that don't count as winter days on your formula beavis (cold + however many inches of snowcover). The UP along Superior is where it's at.

2 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Yeah the way this winter has been with barely any snow but just constant cold dry NW flow is literally how a North Dakota winter is most of the time. 

When I was a kid I read Laura Ingalls Wilder's Prairie series including "The Long Winter," which describes massive, sudden blizzards in the Dakotas occurring seemingly every few days from October 1880 to March 1881. I want to know what a winter like that would look like in the present day; on forecast models and real-time weather products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard#The_Snow_Winter_of_1880–1881

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 12:12 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Grand Forks has done fine snow wise, but areas of the Dakotas have had VERY LITTLE snow this season. Many winters there are parts of the northern plains that are a barren wasteland of bitter cold and little to no snow. Many below zero days that don't count as winter days on your formula beavis (cold + however many inches of snowcover). The UP along Superior is where it's at.

This is why Koppen climate classification always seemed lacking to me.  It classifies basically the whole eastern 2/3s of the continent between 40 and 50N as humid continental.  But areas between the Rockies and Mississippi River are true continental climates with huge temperature ranges, colder average temps, less precipitation, and a pronounced summer-time max. in precipitation. Here in the Great Lakes it's more a semi/modified-continental climate, with less temperature range, warmer average temps, more even distribution in precipitation between the seasons, and more precipitation overall than areas further west.   

I don't think I ever went on a Koppen rant on this board, so, there it was.

• Like 2