• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

I touched on this a bit in the storm thread, but not sure I have ever seen a run of feast or famine to this extreme.  I've now had three 11-13" snowstorms in practically 1 year (since 1/31/2021).  That is not normal at all.  Even 2 in that timeframe would be impressive.  But the lean times have been brutal, with December being a virtual no-show and a large part of January not producing much snow. 

I actually like this kind of thing, but just wish December wouldn't be so brutally boring.

• Like 2

You weenies can keep this stuff. Just came in from blowing snow from the property in 15 degrees temps and a stiff breeze. Had enough clothes on to be sweating about my torso but my fingers and toes are frozen regardless of the number of socks and gloves on. Bah Humbug.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I touched on this a bit in the storm thread, but not sure I have ever seen a run of feast or famine to this extreme.  I've now had three 11-13" snowstorms in practically 1 year (since 1/31/2021).  That is not normal at all.  Even 2 in that timeframe would be impressive.  But the lean times have been brutal, with December being a virtual no-show and a large part of January not producing much snow. 

I actually like this kind of thing, but just wish December wouldn't be so brutally boring.

What ever is normal with the weather??? ;)    I find weather many times is feast or famine.  Enjoy the feast while it lasts :mapsnow:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Southside and NW Indiana on a roll

3 hours ago, bowtie` said:

You weenies can keep this stuff. Just came in from blowing snow from the property in 15 degrees temps and a stiff breeze. Had enough clothes on to be sweating about my torso but my fingers and toes are frozen regardless of the number of socks and gloves on. Bah Humbug.

Take your foot and like it.

• Haha 2

On 2/3/2022 at 7:32 PM, Lightning said:

What ever is normal with the weather??? ;)    I find weather many times is feast or famine.  Enjoy the feast while it lasts :mapsnow:

Exactly. It's amazing how many people think our average is made up from a repeating cycle of normal highs and lows. It's extremes on both ends that average out to "normal".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Exactly. It's amazing how many people think our average is made up from a repeating cycle of normal highs and lows. It's extremes on both ends that average out to "normal".

To your point, i'm guessing 15-20% of days are actually normal.

You guys have a good point.  It feels extreme when you're in the middle of such a run, but it helps to take a step back and look at a longer period of time. 

That being said, without actually checking, I suspect the number of double digit storms in the past several years around here is higher than usual.  I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head just since 2016.  I hope it we don't go on like a 10 year run without one at some point lol

55 minutes ago, Up_north_MI said:

This has to be one of the driest winters I can remember in northern lower Michigan. If something doesn’t change the green up/fire season this spring could be ugly. 

No joke.  Nov. was the off switch for precip in the Great Lakes.  Sure there has been a handful of systems but they have been few and very far between.  

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

No joke.  Nov. was the off switch for precip in the Great Lakes.  Sure there has been a handful of systems but they have been few and very far between.  

Yup, you’re exactly right, we had a wet fall but December and January have been dry. Seems the UP is doing better precipitation wise because Lake Superior has stayed mostly open and it’s been windy and cold enough to give that area lake effect. Will be interesting to see if things change as we finish up February and head into March. Maybe we’ll have a wet and warm spring to balance out the past month or so of cold and dryness.

3 hours ago, Up_north_MI said:

Yup, you’re exactly right, we had a wet fall but December and January have been dry. Seems the UP is doing better precipitation wise because Lake Superior has stayed mostly open and it’s been windy and cold enough to give that area lake effect. Will be interesting to see if things change as we finish up February and head into March. Maybe we’ll have a wet and warm spring to balance out the past month or so of cold and dryness.

Nov. was dry here too.  It is interesting that we basically have the same pattern as last winter.  Cool/dry (just colder this year).  I will be honest last summer was one of the best thunderstorm summers I had in a couple years.  I would not mind repeating.

3 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I won't complain if we get a big snowstorm over the next month, but I'm ready for thunderstorms, or even a nice 1-2" stratiform soaker.

Feel exactly the same.  I'm kind of in 6"+ storm or just keep it mode at this point.  It's been so dry (and extremely boring) that even a heavy rainer would be exciting at this point lol.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Feel exactly the same.  I'm kind of in 6"+ storm or just keep it mode at this point.  It's been so dry (and extremely boring) that even a heavy rainer would be exciting at this point lol.  

right on cue:

THIS SEEMS TO BE   
THE TREND IN GUIDANCE BETWEEN THIS SYSTEMS.  WHILE WE MAY SEE SNOW   
OVERNIGHT, CURRENT FORECAST SUGGESTS A TRANSITION TO RAIN.  OVERALL   
IMPACTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS WAVE LOOK TO BE LOW. 

You'll get your non-event clipper with a spit of snow and rain and like it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baum said:

right on cue:

THIS SEEMS TO BE   
THE TREND IN GUIDANCE BETWEEN THIS SYSTEMS.  WHILE WE MAY SEE SNOW   
OVERNIGHT, CURRENT FORECAST SUGGESTS A TRANSITION TO RAIN.  OVERALL   
IMPACTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS WAVE LOOK TO BE LOW. 

You'll get your non-event clipper with a spit of snow and rain and like it. 

The hat trick. B)

2 hours ago, Baum said:

love it. On days with no precip feels so much better out  and the added heat energy going to fuel even the clippers on the cold side. 

Ugh. Why is everyone so excited to be done with winter…especially when we haven’t even had much of a winter here this season to begin with? It’s only 2/8. Do people want summer to be over by 8/8?

It’s bad enough that I have to deal with anxiety about today’s 40F temps eating away at the modest snow cover…and desperately wishing for the sun to go away. But then it’s even worse that others are actively rooting for this, and excited about the sun angle and dampness/warmth in the air as the inevitable end of winter occurs. Fine - but can’t it wait until 2/28??

Winter is not supposed to be comfortable or feel nice. People are supposed to be crying and begging for warmth and relief from bitter cold and snow. 

Maybe we should all live in international falls for a winter or two, to experience what winter should actually be like. 

:(

• Like 1