• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

Looking back through my photos, this is the third straight winter season to feature much below normal accumulating snowfall for much of the S WI/N IL/E IA region prior to mid-January (or if there was any of consequence such as late October 2019, it melted off before Christmas). 2018-19 wasn't stellar either, although it had a nice storm on New Year's Eve (more impressive than 2021's, at least for MBY but it likewise melted within a few days) and 2017 only pulled off a technical white Christmas at Dane County Regional with a quick just-over-an-inch on Christmas Eve.

Come to think of it, that's all the winter seasons since I've been an active poster on this forum. Maybe I'm the curse.

5 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Looking back through my photos, this is the third straight winter season to feature much below normal accumulating snowfall for much of the S WI/N IL/E IA region prior to mid-January (or if there was any of consequence such as late October 2019, it melted off before Christmas). 2018-19 wasn't stellar either, although it had a nice storm on New Year's Eve (more impressive than 2021's, at least for MBY but it likewise melted within a few days) and 2017 only pulled off a technical white Christmas at Dane County Regional with a quick just-over-an-inch on Christmas Eve.

Come to think of it, that's all the winter seasons since I've been an active poster on this forum. Maybe I'm the curse.

I feel winters in our region took a different path after the Super Nino in 2015-16. Think about it. 

2014-14 was the last widespread cold and snowy winter. Since then we've barely managed to get a decent winter. 2015-16 and 2016-17 were warm. 17-18 had that mid-late Dec - early Jan and 2 week Feb period of winter. 2018-19 lasted 6 weeks (mid-Jan to late Feb) and then the last two including this winter have been crap. 

Prior to 2015-16 we had longer lasting winters with more phased storm potentials. For example, 2013-14, 2012-13, 2010-11, 2009-10, 2007-08 etc. Just a personal opinion. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

I feel winters in our region took a different path after the Super Nino in 2015-16. Think about it. 

2014-14 was the last widespread cold and snowy winter. Since then we've barely managed to get a decent winter. 2015-16 and 2016-17 were warm. 17-18 had that mid-late Dec - early Jan and 2 week Feb period of winter. 2018-19 lasted 6 weeks (mid-Jan to late Feb) and then the last two including this winter have been crap. 

Prior to 2015-16 we had longer lasting winters with more phased storm potentials. For example, 2013-14, 2012-13, 2010-11, 2009-10, 2007-08 etc. Just a personal opinion. 

Yes, I remember '07-'08, '09-'10, and '10-'11 all being quite active winters in the upper Midwest. '08-'09 I don't remember as well although I seem to recall there were some light snow events around Thanksgiving 2008. '07-'08 I was still going to college in Green Bay although I returned to stay with family in the Madison area for winter break; it was probably the most active wall-to-wall winter in my adult memory even including the thaw and :twister:outbreak in early January. It was 2008, 2010 and the first half of 2011 that gave me the impression that La Ninas are very active for both winter and :twister:. Then the dry, scorching and dull 2012 happened, and most of the Nina patterns since 2017 have also had long stretches of mind-numbingly quiescent periods for both types of weather punctuated by occasional diamonds in the rough.

I wasn't a huge fan of 2013-'14 either, although it was undeniably very wintry. The sustained deep cold and frequent "nuisance" (1-3") snowfalls got to me, since it was my first winter at my current job with a 3 AM start time; an apartment with outdoor parking and a puny electric heating unit which had to run 24/7 for over six weeks straight just to keep my apartment bearable, sending my power bills through the roof.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stebo said:

Are we still calling this a decent winter like some were eluding to last week? We have actually had some snow here in SE MI and it still has been a shit winter.

I don't think anyone called it a decent winter last week. What's worse the mini thaw got rid of our snow except for piles. With the rest of the month looking very cold hopefully we get a few clippers and then hopefully February once again comes through as the star month. I'm very irritated right now but that will escalate to pissed then f*cking pissed if this keeps up.

17 hours ago, dmc76 said:

We have not had a winter like this in decades in SEMI. This was normal in the 80’s and 90’s. luck has ran out 

Lol I wouldnt go that far when we are not even at midwinter. Its been a while since we've had one of the old "cold and dry" winters. The 1980s were not bad they just didnt have a lot of big storms (of course I don't remember, I'm just going from data). The 2nd half of the 1990s were blah city with the king of screwzone winters being 1995-96. 95-96 saw tons of snow in all directions avoid the ORD-DTW corridor.  Since then we have many times jackpotted but I have never seen a screw zone like that. That said, this winter doesn't compare to that. One week of seeing systems avoid us in what has been a frustrating Winter for almost everyone is a far cry from months of being avoided in all directions, watching everyone else have a great Winter, until our surprise Mar 20, 1996 snowstorm. 

50 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Lol I wouldnt go that far when we are not even at midwinter. Its been a while since we've had one of the old "cold and dry" winters. The 1980s were not bad they just didnt have a lot of big storms (of course I don't remember, I'm just going from data). The 2nd half of the 1990s were blah city with the king of screwzone winters being 1995-96. 95-96 saw tons of snow in all directions avoid the ORD-DTW corridor.  Since then we have many times jackpotted but I have never seen a screw zone like that. That said, this winter doesn't compare to that. One week of seeing systems avoid us in what has been a frustrating Winter for almost everyone is a far cry from months of being avoided in all directions, watching everyone else have a great Winter, until our surprise Mar 20, 1996 snowstorm. 

It wasn’t just those 2 years. It was 90/91, 88/89 and 94/95